Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 8,458 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I had a scheduled hearing today at 9:00 am regarding my appeal. I never received a call and I’m still sitting here waiting. I did try to call the appeals division in Chicago but of course they aren’t taking calls. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 11:03 AM

957 posts, read 537,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeGju View Post
Hello all

I had a scheduled hearing today at 9:00 am regarding my appeal. I never received a call and I’m still sitting here waiting. I did try to call the appeals division in Chicago but of course they aren’t taking calls. Any advice?
Are you sure they are supposed to call you? All the hearings we have had (here in Oregon) for appeals... each side calls into a phone number - and then its a conference call.

We received a letter in the mail with the time to call and the number to call. Double check that you didnt miss that in your mail.

Reading the Illinois appeal process page it says: After the hearing you will receive a Decision. If you miss the Hearing, you can request to reopen the hearing within 10 days.​

Old 07-07-2020, 11:13 AM

Hi, thank you for commenting. Yes, I’m sure they were supposed to call my letter states “ you will be called at 222-222-2222 ( my cell phone) on 7/07/2020 at 9:00 am or within one hour thereafter. Your failure to answer the phone when the administrative law judge calls may result in a finding against you or the dismissal of your case.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Hi, thank you for commenting. Yes, I’m sure they were supposed to call my letter states “ you will be called at 222-222-2222 ( my cell phone) on 7/07/2020 at 9:00 am or within one hour thereafter. Your failure to answer the phone when the administrative law judge calls may result in a finding against you or the dismissal of your case.
Oh thats very strange then. I would email them back (you can find an email address somewhere in the paperwork or online) if you cant get through on the phone.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:19 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,127 times
I would send an email and fax (for back-up) just letting them know you were waiting and didn't receive a call.

To anyone with experience in this, is it good news for OP that they didn't call? Could that mean they aren't contesting anymore?

Old 07-07-2020, 03:31 PM

Okay, done. I only have the referee’s email that is on the hearing letter. I know very strange right? I’ve tried to look into what it could be but I did everything in timely matter with confirmations. I have my fingers crossed.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
I would send an email and fax (for back-up) just letting them know you were waiting and didn't receive a call.

To anyone with experience in this, is it good news for OP that they didn't call? Could that mean they aren't contesting anymore?
Im thinking its anyones guess. It could be they got busy, it could be they made their determination as they felt it was totally cut and dried, it could be they arent contesting it anymore, it could be they tried to call but for some reason it never went through. Who knows.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Okay, done. I only have the referee’s email that is on the hearing letter. I know very strange right? I’ve tried to look into what it could be but I did everything in timely matter with confirmations. I have my fingers crossed.
Ok good
Crossing my fingers for you too

Old 07-07-2020, 03:36 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
That's a possibility but most likely the ALJ couldn't reach the employer and gave them a deadline to call back. The assumption is the employer may have unexpected business issues that prevented taking the call at that moment. The claimant, on the other hand, is assumed to be sittings at home watching TV, so they have no excuse not to be available when called.

But if the employer doesn't respond, the ALJ may decide to grant benefits by default since the employer failed to present a case. Generally its 50/50 but leans more towards the claimant.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:49 PM

I’m going to also send a fax in a few moments to the appeals chicago division just in case. Geez these things are stressful lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment