Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 08:23 PM

61,667 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

NASA’s Curiosity rover captured an image of what appeared to be a doorway on the surface of Mars.

According to a tweet from the account for NASA’s Curiosity rover, run by NASA staff, there isn’t a doorway on Mars.

“Some of you have noticed this image I took on Mars. Sure, it may look like a tiny door, but really, it’s a natural geologic feature! It may just *look* like a door because your mind is trying to make sense of the unknown,” the tweet said.

On Mount Sharp, there are naturally occurring open fractures, and the one that appears to be a doorway is about 12 inches tall and 16 inches wide.

Human brains often try to see shapes that are familiar, something we can relate to.
https://www.verifythis.com/article/n...a-4984b75ef0c3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 08:42 PM

6,937 posts, read 6,866,775 times
Dont make me trot out my standard arguments against the wind. Link

1) The wind on Mars cannot even move 5mm spherules/blueberries into piles behind rocks.
2) Wind does not erode straight lines over millennia and certainly not into a rectangular, 'door-shape' directly into a rock.
3) erosion over millennia would erode sharp edges off rocks and produce rounded edges. We do not see that in rover images.
4) wind over millennia would pile up sand around the back of all the rocks and erode the space in front of them.
5) all we see are pathetic little piles of dust.
6) Opportunity died due to a sand storm, yet when it was 'convenient' the sand and dust was blown off its panels in a 'cleaning event'.

Now the NASA argument for wind. (dont you think these would have moved those 5mm spherules into piles?)
a) Videos of Dust Devils sweeping across the landscape their dark tracks showing up on satellite images.
b) "Cleaning Events" which cleaned the MER rovers solar panels.
c) Huge planet-wide dust storms which obscured the light and killed the MER rover.
d) vast areas of "sand dunes"

Dust before and after
Space.com article - The Amazing self-cleaning rover
Quote:
Although dust storms can quickly choke the whole planet, strong winds and helpful dust devils have countered the impact of sun-blocking layers of dust settling on the solar-powered robots. Most recently, Opportunity has seen a surge in energy after a "cleaning event" in March, resulting in a power boost of 70 percent when compared with power levels at the start of this year.

And now mission scientists have released a self-portrait photo of the Mars rover. When compared with the dust coverage at its worst, the difference is nothing short of dramatic.
Water does not erode rectangular shapes like this.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:44 PM

6,937 posts, read 6,866,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Why not
Wind is an extremely strong force
Not on Mars it isn't due to the thin atmosphere.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:10 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
ocpaul20, What for ANY reason would you think it is anything other than natural erosion? What exactly do you personaly think it is and why do you think that?
Im sorry to say, but that is most certainly not a natural formation. LOL

I hear the term confirmation bias here and there and to be honest, I think skeptics are prone to falling for this! (in other words, they so badly want to explain anything/everything as natural/normal...to this point of calling this thing a natural formation. I guess that would be called reverse confirmation bias? LOL

Whats next...I can see it now...an ancient Martian city is captured in a picture and the skeptics say, "oh those buildings and structures are just rock formations,that took millions of years to form, its just a coincidence they look like an old city, and that shiny metal disc shaped object? Oh, thats just a rare mineral found on Mars, that appears metal like, it just so happens to resemble a space ship"

HAHA

Old 06-17-2022, 04:24 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
Why do extraordinary claims always present bad photos as proof? If I'm being even a little bit rational I can't jump all the way to ancient Egyptians on Mars from the photo shown. Show me a halfway decent photo of that Martian city or the spacecraft and I'll reconsider.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:43 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
You're incorrect. There are strong winds on Mars. Maybe you're mistaking it for the Moon?

I'll admit. It's a strange looking thing. It appears very smooth on the inside, but it's also very small to be called "a doorway".

Meh. I'd need more photos to even consider it is something more than a natural wind-created formation. But that's just me.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:11 AM

61,667 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
The Curiosity rover is making such measurements on Mars now. But studies of dust storms, cloud movements, and wind streaks suggest that winds can blow up to 100 kilometers per hour (62 mph).
https://marsed.asu.edu/mep/wind

Exposed to the ravages of wind for eons, the barren surface of Mars has been shaped and sculpted into terrains of grandeur and beauty. Strong and relentless, the Martian winds are still changing the landforms of Mars today.
https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitio...tem/mars/wind/

Mars is infamous for intense dust storms, which sometimes kick up enough dust to be seen by telescopes on Earth.
Beyond Mars’ large annual storms are massive storms that occur more rarely but are much larger and more intense.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...an-dust-storms

Old 06-17-2022, 11:42 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,678,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry to say, but that is most certainly not a natural formation. LOL

I hear the term confirmation bias here and there and to be honest, I think skeptics are prone to falling for this! (in other words, they so badly want to explain anything/everything as natural/normal...to this point of calling this thing a natural formation. I guess that would be called reverse confirmation bias? LOL

Whats next...I can see it now...an ancient Martian city is captured in a picture and the skeptics say, "oh those buildings and structures are just rock formations,that took millions of years to form, its just a coincidence they look like an old city, and that shiny metal disc shaped object? Oh, thats just a rare mineral found on Mars, that appears metal like, it just so happens to resemble a space ship"

HAHA
So with the LOLs and HAHAs is you post funny or serious?

The bold part is silly to me because IF a picture of a real city or space ship on Mars was posted by NASA it would be HUGE news and it is all that would be on the news for days. These things that believers think look like stuff is just a big nothing burger/wishfull thinking.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:28 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
I don't buy this theory of wind formations.
Attached Thumbnails
Small Pharaoh's tomb door on Mars-martian-doorway.jpg  

Old 06-17-2022, 12:42 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
With the original picture brightened, one can clearly see this is a doorway leading to a tunnel.
Notice it has a ceiling, and a walkway.
Attached Thumbnails
Small Pharaoh's tomb door on Mars-martian-doorway.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal