Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 07:06 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Who is making that claim?
It is used like the term/phrase "some people" to try and make unproven claims seem more realistic. It is another of the many phrases that once I hear or read I just tune out the rest of the conversation or post because I know there is nothing of real use to hear or read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 07:13 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Some people also think that Close Encounters is based on parts of true happenings and that Spielberg might have been given some information to go on. His theory is not beyond the realms of possibility and it is likely anyone in-the-know is going to present the 'truth' as a theory or fiction.
Spielberg hired an adviser on set and actually appeared in the movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The phrase "Third Kind" was coined by the adviser he hired and that was Allen Hynek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Allen_Hynek

Hynek worked in the UFO field for decades for the federal government. Came in as a skeptic, retired as a believer. The man knew much more than many realize.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:02 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Spielberg hired an adviser on set and actually appeared in the movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The phrase "Third Kind" was coined by the adviser he hired and that was Allen Hynek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Allen_Hynek

Hynek worked in the UFO field for decades for the federal government. Came in as a skeptic, retired as a believer. The man knew much more than many realize.
I met him once. He seemed rather sad, and it was obvious that he was making his living traveling around and giving lectures. As for what he "believed?" Who knows? He was guarded from years of dealing with an audience that contained some certifiable fruitcakes.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:17 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I met him once. He seemed rather sad, and it was obvious that he was making his living traveling around and giving lectures. As for what he "believed?" Who knows? He was guarded from years of dealing with an audience that contained some certifiable fruitcakes.
Fruitcakes for sure. But many who were very very credible. I remember when Project BlueBook closed its doors back in 69. The thing about Hynek is that he was waist deep in it for over 18 years with Project BB alone. He knew plenty, and I bet what our pilots are seeing today, was reported to him decades ago. I have a hunch that the tune used in the movie has some merit for some reason. I think I read somewhere that a tune was used because Hynek suggested it because it brought up some sort of story told to him, what ever that was.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:18 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Fruitcakes for sure. But many who were very very credible. I remember when Project BlueBook closed its doors back in 69. The thing about Hynek is that he was waist deep in it for over 18 years with Project BB alone. He knew plenty, and I bet what our pilots are seeing today, was reported to him decades ago. I have a hunch that the tune used in the movie has some merit for some reason. I think I read somewhere that a tune was used because Hynek suggested it because it brought up some sort of story told to him, what ever that was.
I live next door to a Space Force Base and they use the Close Encounters melody over the outdoor alert system speakers before warning announcements like threatening weather, etc. I imagine it's trippy to visitors peacefully walking the beach to all of a sudden hear the distant sounds of D, E, C, C, G seemingly coming from the sky. BTW, composer Jon Williams chose the five note progression from a group that he had narrowed down to about 350 initially. It has parallels in in several old compositions including the first four notes of the Gregorian chant Dies Irae.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:33 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Every UFO conspiracy is valid until somebody shoots an alien, throws him in the bed of his truck and drives to the office of The National Enquirer for a headline story. (Who else would publish that one ?)

Old 03-14-2023, 07:05 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Aliens are either supposed to be demons or they're supposed to be time travelers. Why can't they just be aliens.
Spielberg's a creep, I'd ignore anything he says.

Old 03-17-2023, 01:11 PM

6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times
1) Some believe the ancient Sumerians may have had time travelers in their midst, performing scientific experiments that’s would be considered advanced even for today.

2) The Missing 411 phenomenon has a theory where there are time portals inside the national parks where people can travel through and end up in a different time. That’s why people go missing without a trace, and even in some cases, end up in a different area of the country with a loss of time and no knowledge of where they’ve been.

Do I believe any of this? No, but I always try to keep an open mind on everything.

So if Spielberg wants to float a theory, I see nothing wrong with doing so.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:57 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
1) Some believe the ancient Sumerians may have had time travelers in their midst, performing scientific experiments that’s would be considered advanced even for today.

2) The Missing 411 phenomenon has a theory where there are time portals inside the national parks where people can travel through and end up in a different time. That’s why people go missing without a trace, and even in some cases, end up in a different area of the country with a loss of time and no knowledge of where they’ve been.

Do I believe any of this? No, but I always try to keep an open mind on everything.

So if Spielberg wants to float a theory, I see nothing wrong with doing so.

I had a book that was filled with those kind of stories. I remember one about this guy hunting quail in this field near some woods, I think it took place in the 1950s in Ohio. As he was approaching the woods a quail flew up out of some weeds but before he could get off a shot it disappeared about 15 feet in the air. He was looking in the sky where it disappeared and noticed some leaves blowing in the wind would also disappear in the area that the quail vanished.
Out of curiosity he tossed a stick in that spot and it disappeared too. He ran to get his buddy who was hunting on the other side of the field and they began throwing things where that quail went but nothing disappeared, the stuff just fell to the ground.
If there are such portals they apparently move around quite a bit.

Last edited by aliasfinn; 03-17-2023 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-18-2023, 10:10 PM

12 posts, read 3,852 times
Given global warming is now unstoppable our descendants will have to adapt over hundreds of years (via genetic modification of the human body) to living in large cave systems. Hence 'Homo troglodytes'. One adaptation for this is large eyes, just like the classical ET.
And how far will human technology develop over those centuries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal