Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,946,626 times

Advertisements

New York has a lot of mass transit, true, including the famous subway. But the subway won't get you to any airport without a transfer. It's either up to 125th and the 60 or to Jackson Heights then the Q70, to La guardia (I may not have the numbers right). JFK not much better with the Howard Beach then the Airtrain. Newark even more confusing. Many other U.S. cities have one-seat rail trips to their airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I hope one day Seattle develops a decent system. A skimpy light rail system and inconsistent bus system really frustrate daily commuters.
If they keep at this pace of constant construction for new lines, Seattle should have a decent light rail system in the next 30 years. This is one area that Seattle has really lagged behind with and should have had a subway system in place for the last 100 years or so.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 AM

2,943 posts, read 4,140,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
New York has a lot of mass transit, true, including the famous subway. But the subway won't get you to any airport without a transfer. It's either up to 125th and the 60 or to Jackson Heights then the Q70, to La guardia (I may not have the numbers right). JFK not much better with the Howard Beach then the Airtrain. Newark even more confusing. Many other U.S. cities have one-seat rail trips to their airports.
Nah - you only get a one seat ride if you're already on the line to the airport.

In NYC, at least if you're in Manhattan, NJTransit or LIRR can get you to their airport stations in 15 minutes, hop on a monorail, and be at your terminal in a few more minutes. I can't think of a less confusing experience than getting off at a train station called "Newark Airport Station" then walking up the stairs to the monorail and a sign that says "<---- airport terminals."

BWI is easy with the light rail in the terminal which is great if you're downtown but the Amtrak/MARC station requires the shuttle bus transfer. Boston is also easy and I've done both the Blue Line (not a one seat ride) and the Silver Line (not a train). The ride in from O'Hare can be tedious (but the views make up for it) Midway is pretty good. SFO is easy and quick. Miami is much easier now. Philly is one seat into town and the northern suburbs but only every half hour so . . .

The airport express (bus) or whatever it's called from LAX to Union Station is cheap, easy and fast. Didn't bother me at all that it wasn't a train - it seems like for a place like LA that's a much better set up. I also flew to Bob Hope airport once and was amazed that I could basically walk across the street and catch a train.

I flew to Toronto and that experience (bus to subway) was disappointing for a city of that stature.

That leaves Seattle, Cleveland, PDX, STL, ATL, Minneapolis and Vancouver . . . I've never used any of them so I'm not sure how they stack up.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM

21,922 posts, read 25,257,062 times
DC, NYC, Chicago, etc, all depend on heavy rail. Remove heavy rail and the transit in NYC while still good isn't really that impressive any longer. Odd criteria.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
DC, NYC, Chicago, etc, all depend on heavy rail. Remove heavy rail and the transit in NYC while still good isn't really that impressive any longer. Odd criteria.
For the metro and suburban areas, but would still be impressive for the city level.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,946,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Nah - you only get a one seat ride if you're already on the line to the airport.

In NYC, at least if you're in Manhattan, NJTransit or LIRR can get you to their airport stations in 15 minutes, hop on a monorail, and be at your terminal in a few more minutes. I can't think of a less confusing experience than getting off at a train station called "Newark Airport Station" then walking up the stairs to the monorail and a sign that says "<---- airport terminals."

BWI is easy with the light rail in the terminal which is great if you're downtown but the Amtrak/MARC station requires the shuttle bus transfer. Boston is also easy and I've done both the Blue Line (not a one seat ride) and the Silver Line (not a train). The ride in from O'Hare can be tedious (but the views make up for it) Midway is pretty good. SFO is easy and quick. Miami is much easier now. Philly is one seat into town and the northern suburbs but only every half hour so . . .

The airport express (bus) or whatever it's called from LAX to Union Station is cheap, easy and fast. Didn't bother me at all that it wasn't a train - it seems like for a place like LA that's a much better set up. I also flew to Bob Hope airport once and was amazed that I could basically walk across the street and catch a train.

I flew to Toronto and that experience (bus to subway) was disappointing for a city of that stature.

That leaves Seattle, Cleveland, PDX, STL, ATL, Minneapolis and Vancouver . . . I've never used any of them so I'm not sure how they stack up.
I've done Cleveland, and ATL, not bad. Also tried DFW (commuter train to Centre port) requires two buses as well as the train. Long Beach to downtown LA, tried that too. Forget it. Bus to light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning