Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

I have worked in China twice and also visited Hong Kong. I had no problem with density of any of these Chinese cities. The only time I felt bothered by the large numbers of people was when I visited the Forbidden City in Beijing during the Chinese October National Holiday week and my colleague and I were boxed in completely by the crowds waiting to buy admission tickets early in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,091,347 times
Some Asian cities have a fair bit of SoCal style suburbs, like Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur, and I think some Chinese cities like Shanghai are starting to build a decent amount too.

There's quite a lot of variety in the build forms though, even within a single area

Ex Pearl River Delta

These neighbourhoods are similar in built form to smaller European cities, and seem to be the most common (in terms of total population) built form of Dongguan
SOSO
SOSO

Lower density version of the above (seems to be older too)
SOSO

Higher density version close by in Shenzhen, this is probably too extreme for almost everyone here. The residential density is about 10x Manhattan.
SOSO
The more commercial streets are less claustrophobic though, and some can be surprisingly clean considering these are often considered to be slums by even the Chinese.
SOSO

This area is famous for replica paintings
SOSO

High rise tower blocks
SOSO

Very tightly packed high rise towers
SOSO

A more lush suburban multi family area
SOSO

This area looks rather quiet
SOSO

Midrise blocks
SOSO

Most suburban areas don't seem to be covered by the Chinese version of streetview, but this one is
SOSO

This area in Central Guangzhou looks quite nice
SOSO
Central Guangzhou
SOSO
Denser area in Central Guangzhou
SOSO
Midrise blocks, look a lot less sterile in streetview than in satellite
SOSO
SOSO

More stereotypical "China Rising" high density area in Guangzhou's CBD
SOSO

I have to say I expected much more soulless tower blocks like in Toronto
http://goo.gl/maps/qN1Og
Although Beijing seems like its more sterile than Guangzhou
SOSO

Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times
I did find Chennai city center uncomfortably congested when I lived there. However, I lived in a 1650 sqft apartment which was quite spacious. My neighborhood was upscale and built with 50' wide roads which crossed each other in a grid pattern and completely tree lined with sidewalks. Sewage systems were underground and rarely a major issue. Garbage cleaning was organized and regular as well. But once you left the neighborhood, it was a completely different environment.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
I haven't been to Asia since I was 3-ish. So I wouldn't remember it. But I love dense cities.

Old 09-28-2023, 04:44 AM

1 posts, read 416 times
Default Starting a Business in Singapore: Your Gateway to Success

Singapore is a thriving business hub known for its pro-business policies, strategic location, and robust economy. If you're looking to start a business in this dynamic city-state, you're on the right track. One of the key factors contributing to the success of businesses in Singapore is the availability of top-notch office solutions like serviced offices in Jurong East. Jurong East, located in the western region of Singapore, offers an ideal setting for businesses to thrive. It boasts excellent connectivity, a vibrant commercial environment, and proximity to essential amenities. When you pair this location with a serviced office, you're setting your business up for success. Serviced offices in Jurong East provide numerous advantages for startups and established companies. They offer flexible lease terms, fully equipped workspaces, cost-efficiency, and a professional image. With the support of these offices, you can focus on growing your business while leaving the hassle of office management behind. Starting a business in Singapore and choosing a serviced office in Jurong East is a strategic move that positions your company for growth and success. Take advantage of the opportunities this city offers, and watch your business thrive in the heart of Jurong East's vibrant business district.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 358 times
Hi, maolin. I agree with you. If you're interested in starting a business in Jurong East, you can consider a serviced offices in Jurong East. MatchOffice Singapore can help you with this. It's a portal that collects all business centers in one place, making it easier for potential tenants to find their future office spaces for rent.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:31 AM

333 posts, read 153,214 times
I've never been to Asia to have any concept of how population dense it is to North America. However, Toronto is too noisy and crowded for my liking. I'd be happy if I never set foot in it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning