Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM

13,743 posts, read 15,816,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
San Francisco has almost no parking lots or vacant land, and the urban core is enormous - you could make the argument it's 1/2 - 1/3 of the entire city.
I wasn't speaking about San Fran having vacant land or parking lots. I was asking if the built environment was larger than Chicago which that person ranked 3rd. The parking lot comment had to do with cities with parking lots on their list. Really I was just saying give an explanation for your list instead of just making a list of cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM

199 posts, read 356,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Downtown CBD's are filling in across the country. Parking lots downtown are being redeveloped and cranes are everywhere. If you were to drive north to south and east to west in every city in America, how much continous unbreakable walled development would there be? How endless would the downtown seem? What are the 10 largest downtowns in the US based on continuous development?

Think about things that hurt downtown development like parking lots, buildings that don't come up to the street, undeveloped vacant land, small narrow sidewalks, highways, and low density buildings like a stand alone CVS or stand alone McDonalds when ranking the 10 most build downtowns.

Also, traditional downtown boundaries don't matter here since we are talking about continuous CBD development so there is no need to argue what is considered downtown. If an outsider can't tell the difference, then its connected through development.

Try to give an overview explaining your choices.
Cranes are not everywhere in most cities. In most cities the boom ended when the recession started around 2008. Many cities have few if any highrises under construction, and lots of stalled projects.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,009,582 times
Quote:
And yet again, you are not showing major arteries. You aren't even showing streets where cars drive lol. Do you think 1,000 people could walk down a main throughway street safely during rush hour on a small sidewalk? If you want to show something accurate, show Market Street which has the most people working. What profession do you work in again?

Have you actually been in lower Manhattan during the rush hour?

Market street is a 9 to 5 otherwise dead zone in many ways, probably one of the worst street examples for Philly, especially for pedestrian activity, even at rush.

Maybe look at 16th from the Patco station on Locust up to Market, a great example of narrower sidewalks.
16th and locust - Google Maps

And on lower Mahnattan, really, Wall Street is not a major area for workers? huh? Almost all the streets in the area are very similar.

Or another in NYC very close to Wall Street that you reference as being closed
Wall Street, New York, NY - Google Maps

Or Boston, or State Street not a major enough Thoroughfare
boston ma - Google Maps

But yes there are areas with Wide sidewalks, like JFK in Center City
jfk philadelphia - Google Maps

The area is pretty dead after work but yes they exist

Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
Cranes are not everywhere in most cities. In most cities the boom ended when the recession started around 2008. Many cities have few if any highrises under construction, and lots of stalled projects.

This is very true, except in very select places for the most part but have started to see some trickle of signs of life again in a few places, so am hopeful the country will be in better shape soon.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:26 PM

59 posts, read 75,045 times
New York, Chicago and San Francisco!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Have you actually been in lower Manhattan during the rush hour?

Market street is a 9 to 5 otherwise dead zone in many ways, probably one of the worst street examples for Philly, especially for pedestrian activity, even at rush.

Maybe look at 16th from the Patco station on Locust up to Market, a great example of narrower sidewalks.
16th and locust - Google Maps

And on lower Mahnattan, really, Wall Street is not a major area for workers? huh? Almost all the streets in the area are very similar.

Or another in NYC very close to Wall Street that you reference as being closed
Wall Street, New York, NY - Google Maps

Or Boston, or State Street not a major enough Thoroughfare
boston ma - Google Maps

But yes there are areas with Wide sidewalks, like JFK in Center City
jfk philadelphia - Google Maps

The area is pretty dead after work but yes they exist
Guess what, this is not about when activity takes place..lol. This is about built environment much like the "feeling large metro area" thread. Actual square footage. Im not going to waste my time arguing policy with you. You're not qualified. This is not opinion, this is a profession and the urban planning mistakes of the past are not celebrated but studied so they aren't repeated. Where sidewalks can be widened to improve the pedestrian experience, they are. I know you have a fetish with cities but there is actually an academic approach to designing them and that process evolves as time passes.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Im not going to waste my time arguing policy with you. You're not qualified. This is not opinion, this is a profession and the urban planning mistakes of the past are not celebrated but studied so they aren't repeated. Where sidewalks can be widened to improve the pedestrian experience, they are. I know you have a fetish with cities but there is actually an academic approach to designing them and that process evolves as time passes.

So your question was what major cities in their CBDs have narrow sidewalks, correct? Your assertion was they do not exist. I provided examples (and montclaire) from 4 of largest and most urban CBDs in the country. Are you now denying this and the statement you made that addressed? Please explain.

I understand aspects of urban planning and mistakes and even improvements and use of wider sidewalks.
But did you or did you not state they do not exist? and are these not examples of such that I have shown?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Guess what, this is not about when activity takes place..lol. This is about built environment much like the "feeling large metro area" thread. Actual square footage. Im not going to waste my time arguing policy with you. You're not qualified. This is not opinion, this is a profession and the urban planning mistakes of the past are not celebrated but studied so they aren't repeated. Where sidewalks can be widened to improve the pedestrian experience, they are. I know you have a fetish with cities but there is actually an academic approach to designing them and that process evolves as time passes.

So on actual square footage, do mixed uses count, or only office space?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So your question was what major cities in their CBDs have narrow sidewalks, correct? Your assertion was they do not exist. I provided examples (and montclaire) from 4 of largest and most urban CBDs in the country. Are you now denying this and the statement you made that addressed? Please explain.

I understand aspects of urban planning and mistakes and even improvements and use of wider sidewalks.
But did you or did you not state they do not exist? and are these not examples of such that I have shown?

I was speaking about major arteries. You didn't show any. Every city has side streets. Guess what, there aren't as many people or cars on them because of the lack of capacity.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I was speaking about major arteries. You didn't show any. Every city has side streets. Guess what, there aren't as many people or cars on them because of the lack of capacity.

State Street in Boston is not a major street? Is State street a side street?

Locust is not in Philly? Seriously? Is Locust or 16th street a side street? This is a side street in Philly
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=philad...98.86,,0,12.54

or this
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=philad...208.69,,0,0.14

How about Walnut or Chestnut in Philly, do they count? or any numbered street? or are they not part of the continuous core so-to-speak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning