Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No woman has appeared to say she doesn't make her personal safety a priority, period.
I definitely didn't mean to say that. Feeling safe walking around in your neighborhood at night isn't the same as not caring about safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Gotcha. Yeah it would be good to have more first-person input on the subject. Perhaps it warrants a new thread title so it would be more inviting than "Why do so much people hate on the suburbs?" a sentence that does not really indicate the presence of intelligence.
Yes, one reason we're not getting anyone discovering the thread is people see the thread title, which has little connection to this topic. This thread has turned into a general chat thread, rather than following any consistent topic. Second on a new thread, and it's a topic unlike many, hasn't yet been done before.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I definitely didn't mean to say that. Feeling safe walking around in your neighborhood at night isn't the same as not caring about safety.
True. These women you know may have put more care into choosing their neighborhood for its safety than you realize.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
True. These women you know may have put more care into choosing their neighborhood for its safety than you realize.
Oh no, I'm rather certain that one woman I'm thinking of avoided neighborhoods that were even somewhat sketchy. Though, there could have been other reasons (preferred the atmosphere or amnetities of a wealthier neighborhood, I don't know). The other one I talked to earlier chose a "hip" neighborhood that was popular with young people, but also very safe and convenient.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 AM

389 posts, read 470,533 times
Quote:
Do men not care about safety as well? During my stay I made sure I was in a safe area, in fact it was in one of the safest areas of the city.

Another thing about the women not coming in here to post, what reason do we have to lie on our stories of women riding transit? It's not like we are talking about a Bigfoot sighting.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Do men not care about safety as well? During my stay I made sure I was in a safe area, in fact it was in one of the safest areas of the city.

Another thing about the women not coming in here to post, what reason do we have to lie on our stories of women riding transit? It's not like we are talking about a Bigfoot sighting.
I'm not saying anyone is lying. I'm saying, you (plural) don't see women coming to this forum and saying they do not take personal safety into consideration when choosing a place to live and/or a mode of transport. Several of us have seen more of that from women on the city/state forums.

I will point out, you do not LIVE in Chicago. I have a nephew who lives there with his girlfriend. They live in the Loop somewhere. She (the GF) said they talked about moving into a neighborhood, but she didn't want to b/c he travels a lot and she didn't think it would be as safe as living downtown. She also owns a car, and he doesn't. He didn't have one before they moved in together, either. Now that's just one person's opinion.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 PM

389 posts, read 470,533 times
Quote:
I'm not saying anyone is lying. I'm saying, you (plural) don't see women coming to this forum and saying they do not take personal safety into consideration when choosing a place to live and/or a mode of transport. Several of us have seen more of that from women on the city/state forums.

I will point out, you do not LIVE in Chicago. I have a nephew who lives there with his girlfriend. They live in the Loop somewhere. She (the GF) said they talked about moving into a neighborhood, but she didn't want to b/c he travels a lot and she didn't think it would be as safe as living downtown. She also owns a car, and he doesn't. He didn't have one before they moved in together, either. Now that's just one person's opinion.
You are missing something tho, I don't know who said women don't take personal safety seriously, last I checked hopping on a bus or subway, especially on a good side of town, isn't walking into a death trap.

I don't live in Chicago, but I met young ladies or men who said if you want to be safe, there are areas you stay away from. I went to scope neighborhoods to live in as well. I have family in the good and bad parts of the city, and an uncle in the suburbs there.

A woman saying she uses public transit isn't the same as them saying, oh, I don't care for my safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning