Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Don't get me wrong, the buses are irregular, they have weird routes sometimes, they are not the best form of transportation, but if push comes to shove, it is an option.

you obviously don't know the difference between up to a few years ago and currently. Should I tell you the difference or you gonna work it out yourself?

LA has twice the number of buses as Chicago btw.
Pretty sure NYC didnt add 5000 buses in the last few years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM

504 posts, read 1,271,263 times
Quote:
You can live without a car in all cities in America. You know how I know? Millions of people are doing it as we speak.

People who say you can't live without a car in Houston are just stupid idiots who live by exaggeration. I love cars, but I lived without one for more than 8 years without one. It wasn't the most convenient thing, there were times when the bus annoyed me, but people exaggerate too much. Yes these cities don't have the extensive systems that other cities have, but Houston has hundreds of thousands of people who make use of these buses inconvenient as they may be, and there are hundreds of thousands more who make uses of car pools and other methods.

It always angers me when people say the PT system here is nonexistent. up to a couple of years ago Houston had the largest bus fleet in the country. Its just a bunch of idiots who live in the burbs like Katy who ignore the buses and say the system is nonexistent.
Good post. Don't forget about walking and biking as well.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Pretty sure NYC didnt add 5000 buses in the last few years
is another city adding bus fleets the only way someone can lose ranking Houston sold a ton of buses to SA and LA after 2004.

Cities like LA have rapidly been increasing their fleet in addition to rail, Houston not so much.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
is another city adding bus fleets the only way someone can lose ranking Houston sold a ton of buses to SA and LA after 2004.

Cities like LA have rapidly been increasing their fleet in addition to rail, Houston not so much.

Houston NEVER had the largest bus fleet, what you stated, and was never even remotely close

Quote:
It always angers me when people say the PT system here is nonexistent. up to a couple of years ago Houston had the largest bus fleet in the country. Its just a bunch of idiots who live in the burbs like Katy who ignore the buses and say the system is nonexistent.
GROSSLY INCORRECT

Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Good post. Don't forget about walking and biking as well.
Yeah, most of my simple stuff- banking, restaurants, post office, simple grocery pick ups, I did by walking. I used to bike a lot too. We have some really nice bike trails here.

The system is finally catching on to the biking popularity and have started removing seats on the rail to make room for bikes. The buses have installed bike racks too.

I really love those bike trails. Love that you can get from the neighborhoods around Downtown to downtown via bike paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Houston NEVER had the largest bus fleet, what you stated, and was never even remotely close

GROSSLY INCORRECT
oh get over it and grow up dude. every thing is a competition for you? what is the relevance? It is STILL one of the largest fleets in the country which goes back to my point that people who say there is none here.

are you gonna pull out the old tweezers and pick threw that too???

Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 AM

739 posts, read 1,188,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Not sure what you mean by this.
not every city/metro is as urbanly dense as others. so while a store may be "down the street" it may be more beneficial to drive. Does that make more sense?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

oh get over it and grow up dude. every thing is a competition for you? what is the relevance? It is STILL one of the largest fleets in the country which goes back to my point that people who say there is none here.

Not a competition what you posted was GROSSLY INACCURATE; was it not? I mean it wasnt even close to reality; not sure how any rational person could believe otherwise. It never was and was never even remotely close. Houston could have sold the whole fleet (not even close to reality again) to LA and it would not have been close to the largest. You posted something agregiously inaccurate, did you not, I choose to correct it as it was glaring in its lack of credibility

Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM

739 posts, read 1,188,973 times
Quote:
You can live without a car in all cities in America. You know how I know? Millions of people are doing it as we speak.

People who say you can't live without a car in Houston are just stupid idiots who live by exaggeration. I love cars, but I lived without one for more than 8 years without one. It wasn't the most convenient thing, there were times when the bus annoyed me, but people exaggerate too much. Yes these cities don't have the extensive systems that other cities have, but Houston has hundreds of thousands of people who make use of these buses inconvenient as they may be, and there are hundreds of thousands more who make uses of car pools and other methods.

I understand what you're saying, but to a degree it is HTown, because the buses in areas like Katy, Cypress and I think Sugarland, and the Woodlands you just can't walk to a bus stop and catch one downtown or to the Medical Center. You either have to drive to a Park and Ride or you have to commute by TrekExpress.....or simply drive. I've practically have been all over the area. Not alot of options except in the city limits.

Last edited by Queen Palm; 01-13-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
not every city/metro is as urbanly dense as others. so while a store may be "down the street" it may be more beneficial to drive. Does that make more sense?
Yeah that makes sense, kind of obvious really.... Of course in the majority of cities in this country it is more convenient to drive to do everyday chores.

Even where I live, one of the more walkable places in the country, tons of my neighbors will drive for that same Trader Joe's trip I described at the beginning of the thread. Just depends on personal preferences really and willingness to walk places.

There was a girl in the LA threads complaining that her neighborhood in West Hollywood was not walkable because it is .5 miles to the main drag (not even that far in reality, more like .3) and that is way too far of a distance to walk. West Hollywood is one very dense and walkable, but she just isn't a walker. To each their own.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,467,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah, unfortunately it ended up being just about as much walking to take the bus. The 57 went more towards the Packards Corner part of Brighton IIRC, and we were closer to Cleveland Circle. Oh well... I guess you can say it was character building.

We did take the bus once, but to get back to our place you needed to transfer from the 86 to the 70 bus. The 86 was pretty reliable but damn that 70 bus never seemed to come.
Ah, that makes sense. I actually lived right in Packard's Corner (directly next to the huge Herb Chambers car dealership if that rings a bell), so that bus was perfect for me.

Quote:

How is it a competition? You said something that was incredibly inaccurate. Of course someone's going to call you on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning