Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
1. Cisco tried to lump all surburbanites together by saying there is nothing to do in the suburbs but drink, so Iguess urbanites are fair game.

2. I understand urbanites have this big issue with cars, but now somebody is trying to link DUI's with car dependency. To me thats a new low.
So respond directly to Cisco and don't lump everyone together. Cisco is the only one who supported the hypothesis, by my count. All others assigned primary blame to the individual or, in my case, to the state for continually reinstating licenses of hopeless drunks.

See, this is why it pays to read the posts before commenting! You know what happens when you assume, right?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
1. Cisco tried to lump all surburbanites together by saying there is nothing to do in the suburbs but drink, so Iguess urbanites are fair game.
Ciscokid was stereotyping suburbs (not going to bother comment on it); not conflating posters that were pro-suburb as having identical views. You were trying to argue all the "urbanist" posters think alike.

Quote:
2. I understand urbanites have this big issue with cars, but now somebody is trying to link DUI's with car dependency. To me thats a new low.
Not really a new low to me; I thought it was rather obvious. Sure, the individual driver is at fault for driving drunk not the car dependent layout. But the layout makes drunk driving more likely. In the non-car dependent case, there's no need to even consider driving drunk. In the other, (I'm driving to a bar or party and drinking) I would either have to:

1) Limit drinking and then wait a while
2) Drink more and run the risk of driving drunk

I'm responsible enough that I wouldn't do (2) but of course there some that would choose (2). Obviously if there was no need to drive there'd be no DUI. Or let's say people choose bicycle back drunk. Far less frightening to others.

Last edited by nei; 05-10-2012 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Bicycles can also be used to transport alcoholic beverages almost as well:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/41_518405429205_408154_31276622_1747_n.jpg (broken link)

a rack and strapping should be able to hold a case of beer, as suggested by a Vermont teenager working at hardware store.

Me: (asks how much weight the setup on my bike rack could hold)
Teenager: I'd put a 30 pack on it.
Me: 30 lbs.?
Teenager: No, a 30 pack of beer.
Me: (mentally calculates weight of a case beer) my estimation is about 25 lbs?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post

What do you guys think?

Don't drink and drive. The only person responsible is the drunk driver.

[end of story]

Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Bicycles can also be used to transport alcoholic beverages almost as well:

a rack and strapping should be able to hold a case of beer, as suggested by a Vermont teenager working at hardware store.

Me: (asks how much weight the setup on my bike rack could hold)
Teenager: I'd put a 30 pack on it.
Me: 30 lbs.?
Teenager: No, a 30 pack of beer.
Me: (mentally calculates weight of a case beer) my estimation is about 25 lbs?
Yeah I could get a 30 pack on my rack. I'd want to get a front rack if I was getting some liquor to balance the weight

I have a whole bunch of stories from when my bicycle was my designated driver ... I'd like to say I learned from all of them, but it isn't true.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Don't drink and drive. The only person responsible is the drunk driver.

[end of story]
I agree. Everything else is just an excuse.

"Oh, but officer, I HAD to drive. It's too far to walk, and there's no pubic transportation. I forgot about that when I got drunk."

BTW, some of my daughter's friends went out drinking in Denver one night, took a cab home b/c they were drunk, and the cab got into an accident and some of them were hurt.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,158 times
Can somebody email me the memo where it said you are no longer allowed to get a taxi if you get too drunk.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Quote:

Just offering an opinion. People in the suburbs certainly do drive a lot. There's no denying that. They don't have much choice. But you also notice how in every typical suburb there's like a liquor store on every corner. So much so that we take it for granted and hardly give it much of a second thought. This includes your independent mom and pop liquor stores. But also your garden variety 7-11, Circle K, Rite-Aids, CVS, Wal-Greens, Wal-Mart, what have you. And of course every major grocery store carries a good selection of beer, wine and spirits as well. There is a very deep ocean of alcohol and liquor readily available at a moment's notice...to people who spend vast amounts of their time behind the wheel. Doesn't take an expert to put two and two together. Sounds to me like a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Just offering an opinion. People in the suburbs certainly do drive a lot. There's no denying that. They don't have much choice. But you also notice how in every typical suburb there's like a liquor store on every corner. So much so that we take it for granted and hardly give it much of a second thought. This includes your independent mom and pop liquor stores. But also your garden variety 7-11, Circle K, Rite-Aids, CVS, Wal-Greens, Wal-Mart, what have you. And of course every major grocery store carries a good selection of beer, wine and spirits as well. There is a very deep ocean of alcohol and liquor readily available at a moment's notice...to people who spend vast amounts of their time behind the wheel. Doesn't take an expert to put two and two together. Sounds to me like a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.
Perhaps you could post some stats about this?

In my state, the only alcohol sold in grocery stores is beer; it's not like Illniois where there are whole sections devoted to liquor. No alcohol is sold at drug stores or 7-11, either. Well, maybe 3.2 beer.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM

642 posts, read 1,114,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Pretty much. And then we have all the people who think the only solution is to tell people "Just don't do it!" and poof! end of story LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.