Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:29 PM

374 posts, read 1,855,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Right. LA is just one giant suburb of itself, huh?
No, it's a suburb of Santa Monica.

LA actually has an awesome plan in place for the expansion of it's rail-transit network. Will be interesting to see if it all gets built. I wonder if it's too late though to sway Angelenos to use public transport rather than their cars. It's such a drive city. I hope it works for LA. It would be great to visit there and not have to rent a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 04:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,393,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
From what I've heard LA's is ****... But what can you expect for a suburb?
Let's ask Scarsdale.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,523,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Let's ask Scarsdale.
Yes, please do. I'd bet Scarsdale has a better system than LA. lol Hell, you could probably find better pt 2 hours outside NYC than you could in downtown LA!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 PM

115 posts, read 482,564 times
Kansas City is pretty bad for a city of its size.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:22 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,760,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I'd say that Las Vegas, Charlotte, Tampa, Nashville, Miami and Kansas City get pretty poor marks as well.
I think Charlotte's CATS system is getting better. Since they passed the 1/2 cent sales tax, they've had a dramatic increase in passengers on the bus system (with a lot of "choice" riders) and large increase in express routes to the suburbs. They are also building a rail system with light rail, commuter rail, streetcar and bus rapid transit, if they keep the tax come this November. It's not on par with NY or DC's transit systems, but it's pretty good for a sunbelt city.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,393,844 times
Quote:
Yes, please do. I'd bet Scarsdale has a better system than LA. lol Hell, you could probably find better pt 2 hours outside NYC than you could in downtown LA!
Your hate is just comical at this point.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,618,796 times
Quote:
From what I've heard LA's is ****... But what can you expect for a suburb?
You never miss an opportunity to hate LA do you?

LA's transit system, while certainly lacking, is far from being the worst in the nation. I believe that in total rail mileage, they have something like the 4th largest rapid transit system in the country. They've also got a very extensive bus network. Now granted, that doesn't cover much in a city of LA's size, but at least they're trying, which is a lot more than can be said for a lot of other cities in this country (like Baltimore, where I'm from).

If you want to talk worst transit, talk Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Detroit (but there's no need to actually hate these cities of course). We all know LA's transit system can't hold a candle to NYC's. In fact, most American cities can't, so why do you single out LA, a city that's worked harder for better transit during the last few decades than probably most other cities in the United States.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,712,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Based on your travels, what areas in particular would you say have absolutely horrible transit systems? Detroit comes to mind, and so do many of the Sunbelt cities. I just laugh at people who say that Chicago has a poor system.
sd trolley nothing wrong with it physically.
just at rush hour they stop sending cars out just run em in a circle in the urban area only.
so its 1 way in only.
crazy.
also parts of it get rough at night.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,216,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
so why do you single out LA, a city that's worked harder for better transit during the last few decades than probably most other cities in the United States.
Yeah, Future! Why?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,051,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
You never miss an opportunity to hate LA do you?

LA's transit system, while certainly lacking, is far from being the worst in the nation. I believe that in total rail mileage, they have something like the 4th largest rapid transit system in the country. They've also got a very extensive bus network. Now granted, that doesn't cover much in a city of LA's size, but at least they're trying, which is a lot more than can be said for a lot of other cities in this country (like Baltimore, where I'm from).

If you want to talk worst transit, talk Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Detroit (but there's no need to actually hate these cities of course). We all know LA's transit system can't hold a candle to NYC's. In fact, most American cities can't, so why do you single out LA, a city that's worked harder for better transit during the last few decades than probably most other cities in the United States.
Good point. People are too busy trying to label LA as the poster child for suburbia that they overlook much of what the city has accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning