Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

I don't know how, but I just can't stand downtown areas because they are swarmed with homeless people panhandling for money and sometimes they do things other than panhandling.

I know several downtowns like Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, Berkeley, San Francisco, and San Luis Obispo that boast having high end downtown shopping, but also have homeless people there.

I assume suburban malls are safer, have more parking, and probably are your typical mall location.

I am just wondering are their suburban moms and moms in general that go to downtown areas to shop? Do they feel safe? Are downtown malls just as conveniant as suburban malls?

What about Downtown Plaza in Sacramento, Santana Row in San Jose, and Broadway Plaza in Walnut Creek? Other examples?

Are these malls tourist infested or do locals use them too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I don't know how, but I just can't stand downtown areas because they are swarmed with homeless people panhandling for money and sometimes they do things other than panhandling.
Best sentence ever. I love it.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Best sentence ever. I love it.
Ha

Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
This might be coming out of paranoia, but I had a nightmare one night as I walking through our largest town and some homeless guy asked me for drugs and I said no and then all of the sudden he busted out a knife and tried attacking me. Then I ran as fast I could to my car and drove back to my suburban town and hung around the mall instead.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
This might be coming out of paranoia, but I had a nightmare one night as I walking through our largest town and some homeless guy asked me for drugs and I said no and then all of the sudden he busted out a knife and tried attacking me. Then I ran as fast I could to my car and drove back to my suburban town and hung around the mall instead.
You have to be trollin us at this point.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 PM

I really don't think he is.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I really don't think he is.
Who (over the age of 16) has dreams about hanging out in malls?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Who (over the age of 16) has dreams about hanging out in malls?
Pedarasts?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Pedarasts?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,590 times
There are some great downtown shopping districts and malls in the USA. I would check out the history of Pacific Place in Seattle for being one of the best. It makes Seattle downtown better. City Creek in Salt Lake City, just built by the Mormon Church, is supposed really great. Pioneer Place in Portland OR is really urbane but just lost its Saks. I wonder how its doing now? Boston retail scene is near Newberry St in Back Back and it has to High end malls right there. DC is building CIty Center, on the site of the old convention center, should be really good. Speaking of DC the Friendship Heights malls is urban friendly as well. I believe San Diego has a good urban mall.

I know what you mean about panhandlers. I was staying near the Powell St BART stop in San Fran across from Westfield, a very upscale mall, and all of Market st, Union Square high end retail and there were so many homeless and pushy panhandlers i wanted to scream! I am from Philly and San Fran was 100 times worse. I had the urge to put them all on a truck and drive them out of town myself. I couldnt hold a conversation walking down the street for 5 mins without some smelly, deranged person asking me for money. I couldnt believe it could be that much worse than Philly or NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning