Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,873,923 times

Advertisements

Before we get to it, here's a few rules:

1. This is American cities only. NO OTHER COMPARISONS if it isn't within the boundaries of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Bringing other cities that are not American into this discussion could bring about (hopefully) Moderator intervention. If the mod doesn't intervene, be prepared to receive many posts that tell you to, "Take a walk", "Pound salt", "Here's a quarter... call someone who cares"... Don't say you weren't warned, because you were.

2. This thread is not about population numbers, or density numbers, or anything like that. This is about legally definied cities.

3. A city is a "City". If the local government says it's a city, then it is a city up for discussion in this thread. Villages, towns and hamlets are not up for discussion. If a place has one more person within the limits of the city than local law dictates (to be a city), IT IS A CITY. If a place has one less person than what is needed to be considered a "city" by the local government, IT IS NOT A CITY.

I think I covered it all.

Maybe I didn't. But that's what the future is for, right?

This is a thread about which cities are the most "city".

What do you expect out of a city?

What city has the most "city-like" features?

So, considering what I laid down, what are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world cities in America? Or to make it more relevant to this particular forum, which cities are the best planned "Urban(ly)"?

And to help ranking, you can rank cities from 1-3 with individual tiers, like this:

1. A. City
B. City
C. City
2. A. City
B. City
C. City
3. A. City
B. City
C. City

Plus (!) multiple cities could fill those tiers.

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 03:00 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,555,045 times
Honestly, It seems like most cities used to be 2nd world, and were more 3rd world in the later half of the 20th century. However, I would say now that many cities are becoming more first world.

1st world
NYC
Boston
San Francisco

2nd world
Chicago
Los Angeles
Miami

3rd world
Detroit
St Louis
Buffalo

Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
I'm trying to figure out what this thread means? Third world cities?! If you just mean most urban there's a rather long thread on that on the forum. But this thread seems like an invitation to bash cities.

Last edited by nei; 06-13-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM

21,905 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Easier to list what it's not.

Cities that are not first-world:

It's a short list.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,245,513 times
Second World was the Communist Bloc, there's quite a few of those around; the People's Republic of Reston (Virginia), the People's Republic of Berkeley (California), etc. :-)

Third world was the "developing" nations. There really aren't any of those, even by analogy. The cities most people compare to the third world (Detroit, Camden, Flint, Gary, etc) have all fallen from great heights, not been left behind.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,363,121 times
We don't have third world cities in America. Terrible thread.

Doesn't a city have to be incorporated? Not sure about this one person thing you're talking about.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,531,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Before we get to it, here's a few rules:

1. This is American cities only. NO OTHER COMPARISONS if it isn't within the boundaries of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Bringing other cities that are not American into this discussion could bring about (hopefully) Moderator intervention. If the mod doesn't intervene, be prepared to receive many posts that tell you to, "Take a walk", "Pound salt", "Here's a quarter... call someone who cares"... Don't say you weren't warned, because you were.

Puerto Rico count?

Old 06-14-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Honestly, It seems like most cities used to be 2nd world, and were more 3rd world in the later half of the 20th century. However, I would say now that many cities are becoming more first world.

1st world
NYC
Boston
San Francisco

2nd world
Chicago
Los Angeles
Miami

3rd world
Detroit
St Louis
Buffalo

I thought something like this would come up, but I just wanted to see if people caught my drift before spelling it out to a "T".

In terms of Urban Planning, and being a city, how is Chicago 2nd World?

In terms of Urban Planning, and being a city, how is Detroit, St. Louis and Buffalo 3rd World?

Is Carmel, Indiana a "better" city than Detroit, St. Louis or Buffalo, in terms of Urban Planning, and being a city?
Is Santa Fe, New Mexico a "better" city than Detroit, St. Louis or Buffalo in terms of Urban Planning, and being a city?
Is Zionsville, Indiana a "better" city than Detroit, St. Louis or Buffalo in terms of Urban Planning, and being a city?
Is De Queen, Arkansas a "better" city than Detroit, St. Louis or Buffalo in terms of Urban Planning, and being a city?

Come on.

I don't think major cities in America (unless they're really bad) go below the "2nd World" label.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm trying to figure out what this thread means? Third world cities?! If you just mean most urban there's a rather long thread on that on the forum. But this thread seems like an invitation to bash cities.
I'm not promoting bashing. But I am looking for a more objective view on cities... ALL OF THEM.

That thread you linked to is sort of what I'm doing, but I'm expanding it, and I am looking for more honest appraisals of the objective kind.

Evanston, Illinois has a train line running through it (Purple Line, CTA), and the farthest anyone could live from that line is just under 2 miles. And there are buses, and walkability, and density, etc.

Compared to Naperville, Illinois... well... You have the PACE bus system.

That's the difference. That's the reason for this thread.

All cities are not "created equal".

Cambridge, MA is more city, more urban, than Indianapolis, IN (my hometown), is it not? Evanston, IL is more urban than Indianapolis, IN, is it not?

I may have picked a "bad term" when describing cities in this country (using the 'World' reference)... but I didn't feel like adding another "Tier" thread to the forum, and decided to change it up.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Easier to list what it's not.

Cities that are not first-world:

It's a short list.
So Sacramento is, in terms of Urban Planning, more "urban" than" San Francisco?

More "urban" than L.A.?

More "urban" than Seattle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning