Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:32 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,032,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I just don't see how the world is more hostile, than generations past. We have currently lost, what 3000 troops in Iraq, that was an average day in WW1. Also, most of the boomers lived through the cold war in fear of being nuked. Also, hasn't crime been going down?

I am only 16, but I very much disagree that the world is more hostile. The future seems very exciting to me. I think we will eventually be competing with India and China economically. I don't see many wars in the future.
With all due respect, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

I'm relatively young myself (27), but I can remember as a kid when the Soviet collapsed in 1991 and how relieved everyone became that the world would be so much "better". Fast forward ten years and Osama sends us a huge wake up call that proved not only is there still hostility against the U.S. overseas, but that we are in fact vulnerable on the homefront.

Keep in mind that we live in a relatively greedy society driven by the almighty dollar, and corporations willing to sell out their own citizens for a quick buck will do nothing to benefit us, but rather their own pockets instead (globalization.)

China and India in particular will become more powerful by then due to an already massive, more educated population. (We see signs of this already as many of our jobs are already going to those two nations). I don't forsee the Middle East settling down anytime soon either, and as they continue to get richer themselves I doubt that will keep the hostility at bay.

With all of the increased competition expect job loss and an aftereffect we have yet to experience: third-world type poverty that invades our cities. It's safe to say that the U.S. isn't going to be the sole superpower by that point, and it's also safe to say that China and India are two nations that do not have our best interest at heart.

Basically what I'm saying is that we should expect a future U.S. to be in worse shape compared to the present. I'm not saying that it'll be hell on earth but there will certainly be more challenges by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 06:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
I have to agree that we may not even be here in 50 years. The secret North American Union is well under way and will probably be reality in 5-10 years. Good or bad I dont know. But one thing is for sure. English will not be spoken anywhere. It will not be accepted anywhere.

As for the middle class...gone. There will be the very rich which will be about 1 % of the population which is just about what it is now. And everyone else will be poor as paupers.

The schools will not even be teaching American History any longer.

It is sad.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:52 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,187,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That's all mighty utopian, I know. Maybe we'll all be knife fighting in the bombed-out ruins of Soldier Field by then, but one can hope.
That seems like an odd thing to hope for!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,960,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Will global warming mean that people start retiring to Chicago and New York for the warm weather?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Um, I hope not. I love my 4 seasons.
Watch the movie The day after and you'll know the answer to that. Better start buying land in El Paso TX. one of the few places in America that will still be livable.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:26 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,632,523 times
Ever seen the movie "The Day After"?

Old 12-09-2007, 05:46 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,209,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Mexico annexed by the US? No, if anything, Mexico will annex Southern California. It hasn't done it physically yet, but you know what I mean.
Fastninja500, that was a rather insightful look at 2057, assuming you didn't actually go there. Did you? This Mexico annexation of Southern California, could you please elucidate?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,999,585 times
Default Ghost Cities of 2100

Predictions by Forbes Magazine:

In Pictures: Ghost Cities Of 2100 - Forbes.com - Detroit

In Pictures: Ghost Cities Of 2100 - Forbes.com - San Francisco

Old 12-09-2007, 01:33 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
Predictions by Forbes Magazine: Ghost Cities Of 2100 - Forbes.com - Detroit

Hmmmm, a ghost town with plenty of large downtown buildings that'll be available for next to no $$$, and a location in the middle of the country.

Ladies and gentleman, if we ever need to relocate the capital, THIS could be the logical choice!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:50 AM

718 posts, read 1,150,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop
Mexico annexed by the US? No, if anything, Mexico will annex Southern California. It hasn't done it physically yet, but you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Fastninja500, that was a rather insightful look at 2057, assuming you didn't actually go there. Did you? This Mexico annexation of Southern California, could you please elucidate?
Actually, I didn't say anything about Mexico annexing Southern California. I assume you were addressing Futurecop. So I shall not attempt any elucidating.

When I said USACM, I was implying that like the Europe, North America and Mexico will probably become one huge market. At least, that's what "we" member agreed on at the last Bilderberg conference.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:36 PM

129 posts, read 460,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
There are so many doomsday people it is depressing.
You needn't see it as "doomsday."

Yes, we're in for some big changes, but human society has undergone seismic change before. Some things we take for granted now will become rare or impossible, but other things, perhaps long-forgotten, will be restored. On balance, we may well come to feel that the change has been for the better.

The only real shame of it is that the transition will be harder than it needs to be, because resources are now being misspent, which could have been used in getting a head start in establishing the new paradigms of agriculture, transportation, economics, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning