Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:35 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Yes DC is both commuter rail and subway.
But I think mostly meant to carry suburbanites into and out of the city.
As someone who lives in DC, yes suburbanites do use the system to get in, but I would say that Washingtonians use it just as much to get around the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 01:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
The DC system just opened phase 1 of an expansion in the last 10 days: The Silver line from downtown to West Falls Church than follows the Dulles Toll Road corridor ending for now in Reston, via Tysons Corner. Eventually will go to Dulles and 1 stop further out for Loudon commuters.

There is actually some environmentalist backlash against the LA system: For years enviro advocated pushed for a LA subway as an alternative to the clogged freeway system and to promote high density development at stations. Now studies show that in reality, the Red Line just enabled commuters to move another hour out of town. What used to be was commuters to downtown tried to cut odd their commute in the Sylmar area, now with a 20-30 subway ride replacing the last stop and go hour of driving, commuters are spilling out into Valencia and as far as Castaic, crating an even worse enviro factor.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Environmental Impact Statement requirements have vastly increased the cost of all large-scale projects to the point where most are simply infeasible.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think the main problem in the United States is that subway systems are viewed as a luxary for a city, while other countries view subway systems are a necessity for a city.

The American mentality nowadays for building mass transit is to look for the cheapest option possible, even though it may not be the best option as the cheapest option could possibly hurt them in the long term.
New York City, Chicago, and Washington DC are the only cities that have basically fulfilled their master plan when it comes to its subway system. Every other city has fallen quite short of that and is a testament to how mass transit isn't viewed as a high priority when it comes to cities with growing populations.

Many of you probably didn't know this but only 5 of the top 20 largest cities in the United States have subway systems(New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and San Francisco).
So you have no idea that every single system in the world is PUBLICLY FUNDED so it's not SIMPLY a matter of "cheapest option possible" as IF that's so baaaadddd.

LOL the American Mentality?

I'm from PHilly and MOST people drove downtown. DECADES AGO. Obviously you KNOW that you have to take a BUS or CAR to even GET to the train stations. Or even the EL to get to the TRAIN Or connect on other lines downtown etc. THEN you get to WALK 10 or 20 blocks in your sweaty business suit in the rain, snow and be late. The ONLY people able to use the sub or El are those already living downtown and they can take buses, too. And they STILL have to walk FAR to get to the train.

Furthermore, what are you saying? They should crack open and completely disable the cities like Charlotte to bury a SUBWAY in places that nobody will even take it?

Where are the compelling destinations that require these public transit oriented projects?

If there were DEMAND, people would be willing to PAY for it. Where the density requires it, there is some infrastructure.

Irony my European ex is a international expert in rail transit LOL. None of the US proposed projects have the DEMAND.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So you have no idea that every single system in the world is PUBLICLY FUNDED so it's not SIMPLY a matter of "cheapest option possible" as IF that's so baaaadddd.

LOL the American Mentality?

I'm from PHilly and MOST people drove downtown. DECADES AGO. Obviously you KNOW that you have to take a BUS or CAR to even GET to the train stations. Or even the EL to get to the TRAIN Or connect on other lines downtown etc. THEN you get to WALK 10 or 20 blocks in your sweaty business suit in the rain, snow and be late. The ONLY people able to use the sub or El are those already living downtown and they can take buses, too. And they STILL have to walk FAR to get to the train.

Furthermore, what are you saying? They should crack open and completely disable the cities like Charlotte to bury a SUBWAY in places that nobody will even take it?

Where are the compelling destinations that require these public transit oriented projects?

If there were DEMAND, people would be willing to PAY for it. Where the density requires it, there is some infrastructure.

Irony my European ex is a international expert in rail transit LOL. None of the US proposed projects have the DEMAND.
Plenty of cities would benefit from having a rapid transit subway system like Portland, St. Louis, Buffalo, Denver, and Pittsburgh. I could name a lot more.

Instead of building more roads and highways, this country should put a stronger emphasis on seriously improving mass transit. Countries in Asia and Europe have no problem investing in mass transit for the long term. America on the other hand would rather wait until there is a huge problem and then try to fix it with a less efficient option in which they will run into the same problem 10-20 year later. It's a shame that this country used to be a world leader in the late 19th and early 20th century when it come to mass transit. Boy "how the mighty have fallen" as this country is arguably the worst 1st world nation when it comes to mass transit. Countries like Brazil and Argentina have already surpassed us when it comes to mass transit efficiency.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
I must say Denver has one of the better mass transit systems I have seen...

Old 08-10-2014, 04:43 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Because all the cities that need heavy rail already have heavy rail.

What U.S. city lacking heavy rail really needs it? I can't think of any. Honestly, outside of NYC, there are very few places in the U.S. with conditions favorable to high density transit corridors.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I must say Denver has one of the better mass transit systems I have seen...
Denver does have good mass transit, but it would have even better transit if it had a subway system.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because all the cities that need heavy rail already have heavy rail.

What U.S. city lacking heavy rail really needs it? I can't think of any. Honestly, outside of NYC, there are very few places in the U.S. with conditions favorable to high density transit corridors.
I guess you missed the cities I clearly listed that could definitely benefit from having a subway?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:32 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
I wish portland had a subway along the Willamette river from Vancouver to oregon city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning