Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:29 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

Yet the tea-time talk-show ladies continue to host gadflies who predict that "A self-driving auto will be here in a few years."
They must not be aware that they're already here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The entire point is moot -- a huge gap remains between the fantasies peddled by the dreamers, and what current technology can actually support and, more to the point, adapt to a mass-market.

The experiments proposed by Google and a handful of others with access to large amounts of resources are conducted on closed courses -- with all the subtleties of the local system well-known and outside factors tightly controlled; it simply isn't like that in the real world.

Faith in "driverless cars" seems likely to meet the same end as the prediction, now at least half a century old, that the average American would one day own a personal airplane.
for personal reasons, i don't have much faith in google's driverless car project.

but the average american could probably afford their own Cessna before they could afford a home in many, if not most cities.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
for personal reasons, i don't have much faith in google's driverless car project.

but the average american could probably afford their own Cessna before they could afford a home in many, if not most cities.
You can get a pretty decent 172 for less than the price of an average new car, so that's not really saying anything.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
yeah
i just mean
the future actually IS here
everyone can have a plane, for less than the cost of going to college

Old 01-29-2015, 08:19 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
yeah
i just mean
the future actually IS here
everyone can have a plane, for less than the cost of going to college
Isn't a plane kind of a white elephant. Hangar fees, maintenance and such?

Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
I loved reading in the car when I was a kid. Can't wait to do it again. Or sleep more since I have to get up arbitrarily early.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Isn't a plane kind of a white elephant. Hangar fees, maintenance and such?
Not very useful either.

Hangar fees and maintenance aren't really THAT bad. Maybe a grand for yearly inspection/maintenance for most people. Hangar fees are maybe $300 a month. Obviously more in some areas and less in others. Again, not out of reach for most people. It's just the benefit of owning an aircraft? Not really there.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:01 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
I'd hate to see this thread turn into a flame-fest; I don't doubt that certain parts of the technology that would make driving safer and less burdensome are turning up here and there.

But the point I sought to make in my Posts #'s 3 & 8 was that a "complete" self-driving technology would require constant input of a large number of variables and probable extraneous factors -- not to mention a huge database of geographic knowledge to adapt it to local roads.

Major breakthroughs in this endeavor would create one large, and immediate beneficiary -- commercial highway transportation. But none of the potential beneficiaries seem willing to demonstrate much interest; probably because none of them, from taxicabs to intercity trucking fleets, want to shoulder the obligation of providing any of their own infrastructure.

If "driverless" vehicles are to move any closer to reality, the first steps will likely involve either city streets with a well-defined and uniform grid pattern, or a handful of superhighways in flat country, where larger vehicles are sometimes permitted in return for higher tolls.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:30 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,637 times
Given advances in nav systems, GPS technology, mapping, electronics and computing power since the 1970s, I am not sure any study from 45 years ago is necessarily pertinent.

Adding a couple hours to a weekly commute, if the commute becomes productive or leisure time seems a great trade off.

Making existing roadways more efficient vs. constructing additional roadways may pay for itself.

Imagine if self-driving vehicles could merge seamlessly vs bottlenecking as drivers try to gain a few car lengths! Could actually eliminate gridlock in some cases.

No more traffic tickets!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:54 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Anyone who has flown in a small plane along the interstate knows that except for wrecks, most of the highway is empty space punctuated every few hundred yards by clusters of cars. and, it is in these clusters that most accidents occur. That is why the first step will be to give control of the interstate traffic to the roadway electronics. Our highways could handle two to three times the number of vehicles but for the insistence of drivers in clustering around lower moving vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning