Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:40 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times

Advertisements

How to prevent disease spread?

Take steps and responsibility for yourself, what you eat, the products you use and your lifestyle so you have a hearty, healthy immune system. Nothing will protect from sickness better than YOURSELF. It is up to YOU to take of YOU, and part of you is your immune system.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How to prevent disease spread?

Take steps and responsibility for yourself, what you eat, the products you use and your lifestyle so you have a hearty, healthy immune system. Nothing will protect from sickness better than YOURSELF. It is up to YOU to take of YOU, and part of you is your immune system.
The flu virus (and many others) is spread by the airborne route. You have to quit breathing to avoid it. There is nothing you can do to "stimulate" your immune system to fight flu, other than getting a flu shot which will introduce the flu antigens to your immune system so it can make antibodies against them.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:54 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If everyone with a cold were turned down, no one would ever get the vaccinations.
Not true. I haven't had so much as a sniffle in at least 15 years.

Quote:
The #1 way to prevent influenza is to get a flu shot! Everyone 6 months and older who has no medical contraindications to the vaccine should get vaccinated by the end of October.
You may get a flu shot by the end of the month if you choose to. You may have your spouse, children, and anyone else you're responsible for, get the flu shot. However, you have zero right to advise others that you do not know, to get a flu shot. You are not a medical professional, or if you are, you are not acting in that capacity on this forum. Be careful what you instruct others to do.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Not true. I haven't had so much as a sniffle in at least 15 years.

You may get a flu shot by the end of the month if you choose to. You may have your spouse, children, and anyone else you're responsible for, get the flu shot. However, you have zero right to advise others that you do not know, to get a flu shot. You are not a medical professional, or if you are, you are not acting in that capacity on this forum. Be careful what you instruct others to do.
You misunderstood the first quote, deliberately so, it appears. It was a bit of hyperbole, e.g. " a figure of speech, which involves an exaggeration of ideas for the sake of emphasis."
Hyperbole - Examples and Definition of Hyperbole

As for the second, I am quoting the advice of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from their public website. It is up to the provider that the person accesses to evaluate their appropriateness for a flu vaccine.

May I ask what brought you to the Urban Planning forum, where I've never seen you before? It seems like most of your posts are on survivalist-type forums.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:35 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
May I ask what brought you to the Urban Planning forum, where I've never seen you before? It seems like most of your posts are on survivalist-type forums.
I found this via the dratted "Active Threads" thing in the upper right hand corner!

I've been here before, but you are correct, I am most active on other sub-forums (not all SS&P...I get around ). How I wish it were so simple, to get rid of people from elsewhere on C-D, by pointing out that they usually hang out elsewhere! They come over to SS&P and make us all miserable. That is not why I am here, though. I am not a troll. Just expressing a viewpoint that I truly believe.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:06 PM

^^I am not breaking the law. I have a license to practice nursing and I intend to keep it.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-14-2016 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 06:40 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
The flu virus (and many others) is spread by the airborne route. You have to quit breathing to avoid it. There is nothing you can do to "stimulate" your immune system to fight flu, other than getting a flu shot which will introduce the flu antigens to your immune system so it can make antibodies against them.
And if you have a healthy immune system, after you breathe is in your body fights it off and YOU REMAIN HEALTHY. No worries.

If this were not true, we'd all be dead year after year, because according to the CDC every year the flu season is the "worst it's ever been" and we'd all be sick/dead. Since we're not, seems that most peoples immune systems are working pretty well. (Considering that the flu shot is 1. off target most years and 2. at minimum only about 60% effective. Would you buy brakes that were 60% effective?)

Old 10-14-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And if you have a healthy immune system, after you breathe is in your body fights it off and YOU REMAIN HEALTHY. No worries.

If this were not true, we'd all be dead year after year, because according to the CDC every year the flu season is the "worst it's ever been" and we'd all be sick/dead. Since we're not, seems that most peoples immune systems are working pretty well. (Considering that the flu shot is 1. off target most years and 2. at minimum only about 60% effective. Would you buy brakes that were 60% effective?)
No, it is not true that if you have a healthy immune system you will remain healthy if you breathe in flu virus. That's not how the immune system works.

You're exaggerating what the CDC says, and they make no claims that 100% of people get the flu every years. 60% protection is better than 0%. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
Quote:
Correct! Move your arm around a lot, that should help. I used to tell the older kids in the office to go home and vacuum, empty the dishwasher and make their beds. Seriously, just your normal activities should help. Cold application for the first 24 hours and heat thereafter can sometimes help as well.
I think that's heat the first 24 hours, then cold? Also, take motrin or Naprosyn, that relieves inflammation, unlike Tylenol, which just relieves pain.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:29 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,497 times
Older people should delay getting the flu vaccination (till as late as Thanksgiving) because it wears off more quickly for them - and the vaccine is, in any event, less effective for them anyway. Peak season is January to April so if it wears off quickly you may not have any protection at all anyway for the latter part of the season if you get the vaccine too early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning