Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:56 PM

45,655 posts, read 61,079,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I think people are misusing the word subsidy in this thread. The federal government giving farmers money to keep prices low is a subsidy, especially when that money is collected outside of taxes related to the sale of those goods.

Taxes collected and spent for the sole purpose of road maintenance is not a subsidy, especially when said taxes are collected from owning and operating a car or truck.

It's done intentionally to confuse the issue. Most people don't know the difference but believe "subsidies" are bad.

Like spending on roads or schools is renamed to be an "investment".

We had a Mayor many years ago who interchanged the words bonding and grants in order to confuse people. Things like, "Well we're getting a grant for that project" when it was actually being financed by ad valorum bonds. Damned near bankrupted the Town and was why I originally got involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 07:06 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,512,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I don't know...

Do know BART says it needs Billions in addition to the 3.5 Billion Voters just approved.

Funds for Highways are diverted for things like Bike Lanes on the Bay Bridge... with estimates as high as 500 million dollars and even Conservative estimates around 300 million... and Bikes cross for FREE

ww.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/13/bay-bridge-bike-lane_n_1146310.html

https://oaklandnorth.net/2016/01/21/...ished-in-2025/
I think we may share a pet peeve. The elite cycling community in the SF Bay Area is very vocal and have been successful in getting bike lanes put in where they are not only not needed often, but are not needed, ever.
I live in a suburban area and all of a sudden there are brightly signed bike lanes, reducing driving lane width (and most drivers in SUV's), confusing some drivers and where I don't see any cyclists, ever. Of course, there must be some cyclists, but certainly not the number to which all these lanes and amenities are dedicated.

With all the cost to implement these bike lanes (especially over the bridge), cyclists must be forced to pay for this amenity and ticketed if they don't.

It hasn't been said, to my knowledge, but people who are even just moderately disabled or who need to carry a lot of stuff with them (including canes, etc.) are not able to use bikes, and the speedier cyclists don't appear to be the least bit considerate of elderly who aren't as speedy as they are.

Are wheelchairs, whether push or electric, allowed in bike lanes?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:21 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,965,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's done intentionally to confuse the issue. Most people don't know the difference but believe "subsidies" are bad.

Like spending on roads or schools is renamed to be an "investment".

We had a Mayor many years ago who interchanged the words bonding and grants in order to confuse people. Things like, "Well we're getting a grant for that project" when it was actually being financed by ad valorum bonds. Damned near bankrupted the Town and was why I originally got involved.
As long as the government spends money and collects taxes, what's a subsidy can be easily classified:

Subsidy = spending my tax dollars on something you want

Investment = spending your tax dollars on something I want

Old 02-22-2017, 04:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,721,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I was talking about garages for residences.
Yes, that's what I was referring to in the bolded

Quote:
Many streets in business areas are not built for parking.
Most downtown area streets I'm familiar with have street parking.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:20 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,142,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, that's what I was referring to in the bolded

Most downtown area streets I'm familiar with have street parking.
In Denver, the main driving streets do not have parking. Some of the side streets do, most of them I guess. In Louisville, yes, parking on the streets, though several of the restaurants take out parking and set up tables outside during the summer (when they're the busiest, LOL!) Louisville just built another city lot in downtown.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-22-2017 at 07:44 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 AM

35,189 posts, read 57,382,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
CityLab (and City Observatory) make the case cars are subsidized too much in American society.

https://www.citylab.com/commute/2017...__link3_021717
Actually this article is incorrect in its assumptions. Cars are not the only ones using our public roads. Pedestrians and bicyclists use them too so it is pretty much the ENTIRE general public that uses everything with a public right-of-way. Also note that taxes on vehicles including gas taxes, vehicle fees and in some cases user fees (tolls) are used to pay for the roads. IF the article was not out to promote its writer's agenda, it would have proposed a user fee on pedestrians and bicyclists as well. Jay

Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,142,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually this article is incorrect in its assumptions. Cars are not the only ones using our public roads. Pedestrians and bicyclists use them too so it is pretty much the ENTIRE general public that uses everything with a public right-of-way. Also note that taxes on vehicles including gas taxes, vehicle fees and in some cases user fees (tolls) are used to pay for the roads. IF the article was not out to promote its writer's agenda, it would have proposed a user fee on pedestrians and bicyclists as well. Jay
Thank you, JayCT! "Subsidies" are a perennial topic on here, popping up every now and then. We could just as well say stop subsidizing bicycles, or transit (a heavy subsidy user), or even walking!

Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 AM

5,520 posts, read 9,538,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Quote:
Thank you, JayCT! "Subsidies" are a perennial topic on here, popping up every now and then. We could just as well say stop subsidizing bicycles, or transit (a heavy subsidy user), or even walking!
OK, so we'll reduce property/income/sales/etc. taxes by the amount that is currently used for the construction and maintenance of local roads. And, instead, we'll charge a fee to everyone who wants to leave their yard/property.

Seriously, I don't think anyone is suggesting that non-drivers should pay nothing toward the maintenance and construction of roads. But, if alternatives were funded more equitably, (with the share of road funding that doesn't come from user fees) those alternatives would become more usable to more people, and so more people would likely use them.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,965,711 times
Quote:
If you strip away the extremely loaded use of the term subsidy, this basically boils down to:

"If you want people to drive less, make it more expensive"

Which isn't exactly Earth shattering. I thought the idea to maybe town down the moralizing was nice.

The crazy parts come when actually trying to determine what constitutes a subsidy. I've seen driving subsidy calculations that have factored in the costs of foreign wars.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,806,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
As long as the government spends money and collects taxes, what's a subsidy can be easily classified:

Subsidy = spending my tax dollars on something you want

Investment = spending your tax dollars on something I want
And in every day use, I have never heard it used in such context until I hit this thread. In that same vain, then every tax break and every government dollar spent would be a subsidy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning