Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
No. This isn't Europe or China. 26 22.61%
Yes, but ordinary rails are fine. 12 10.43%
Yes, and they should be electric. 11 9.57%
Yes, and they should be high-speed. 10 8.70%
Yes, and they should be both electric and high-speed. 56 48.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 10:12 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I had a co-worker who lived near Atlantic City and came into Philly by rail. I used to have a girlfriend with a beach condo in Brigantine just north of Atlantic City. I rode that train a few times when I was in Philly on business and didn't have a rental car. Is PATCO considered to be commuter rail? I have one of their cards kicking around somewhere.
PATCO is a heavy-rail transit line, akin to the Broad Street Line or Market-Frankford Line. Commuter rail would be like the Regional Rail System.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 12:14 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
PATCO is a heavy-rail transit line, akin to the Broad Street Line or Market-Frankford Line. Commuter rail would be like the Regional Rail System.
If he was riding in from Brigantine on a train, he was taking New Jersey Transit's Atlantic City Line, NJT's one commuter rail line in South Jersey.

He could have changed trains at Lindenwold, though, and taken PATCO into the city from there. But staying on the train from AC all the way to 30th Street Station would have been just as convenient.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:09 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
It takes a lot of commuters to justify the government subsidy.

Every couple of years I see a news article about how much my state pays to subsidize the passenger train from Boston to Portland. Ticket sales accounts for around a quarter of the operating expense.

A few thousand people like to ride the rail between Portland and Boston, and the entire state pays taxes to fund it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
... Rails is way of life in northeast.
Not up here in New England that is for sure.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If he was riding in from Brigantine on a train, he was taking New Jersey Transit's Atlantic City Line, NJT's one commuter rail line in South Jersey.

He could have changed trains at Lindenwold, though, and taken PATCO into the city from there. But staying on the train from AC all the way to 30th Street Station would have been just as convenient.
It would also be a bit more expensive, and also PATCO & ACL serve slightly different portions of Philadelphia, with PATCO serving the heart of Center City, while ACL serves 30th Street station across the river.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:34 AM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Commuter Rail is pretty common in the Northeast.

Philadelphia has the 3rd largest commuter rail network in the USA (all in Pennsylvania not New Jersey).
In a few very densely populated cities and ring suburbs, commuter rail makes sense. For the other 95% of this nation, it is an inefficient method of transportation. That is why it never spread.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:45 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Because the American car experience is any better? Tolls, 3 hour long rush-hour traffic back ups, drunk drivers, accidents, weather inhibitors, endless construction, road rage, bad maintenance, bridge/tunnel closures, excessive police monitoring... I could go on and on and on

UK rail is still light years more efficient, and less taxing than your average American auto experience. I'm not even going to go into the upper tier countries like Germany, France, China or Japan who are pathologically hell bent on running the best rail networks on the planet. Even Japan which is the measure stick for how well your transit is laid it's first Japanese Shinkansen line in 1964.... and look how well thats worked out for them.

Rail is still and has always been the most efficient way of ground transportation, and people can and do change (i.e the current wave of people wanting city life)
Why are there so many cars in Europe if their rail is so good? In America, the existing mass transit cannot fund itself without stealing 20% of federal automotive gas tax money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning