Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 02:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times

Advertisements

A metropolitan area is simply a cluster of counties that have an identifiable relationship of commuting patterns between adjacent counties. However, as time goes by, more and more people are working remotely or from home and not commuting. The current threshold by the Census Bureau is that at least 25% of the residents of a county must commute to a nearby county for that county to be included in the metro area. However, that threshold is rather low. If just enough people shift to working from home in the coming years, many metro areas will shrink in size because of outlying counties falling below the 25% threshold due to so many people working from home. These counties would then be excluded from the metro area they were once a part of.

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 02:27 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
It's way too soon to be making these types of assumptions

It's best to wait until COVID is behind us.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's way too soon to be making these types of assumptions

It's best to wait until COVID is behind us.
But even in spite of COVID, more and more people are working remotely as the years ago by.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:16 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But even in spite of COVID, more and more people are working remotely as the years ago by.
I agree. The company my friend wishes for gave up their lease a month after they were sent to work from home.

It seems a lot of companies were going that way already and covid was just the last push.
When you give up the lease a month after, before you even know how this will go, just shows that they had long made their decision to work through possible problems but there is no going back.
They had probably gave notice that they were not continuing the lease before they even sent workers home.

I know so many people who have been doing this before covid. It was already getting more and more common.

But Some version of metros will always be around. I just think the commuting patterns will change.
Is the reason why malls in some areas are thriving. People still need that human connection. So some brick and motor stores will adapt and live on

Old 12-11-2020, 04:17 PM

331 posts, read 182,180 times
No the concept of a metro area will not become obsolete. There's too much benefit from having large areas share infrastructure even if some arbitrary number of people don't have to drive across the metro every day for their job. I do agree that commuting patterns will change in general, it was happening before covid but now it has accelerated in a way that will not be reversed

Old 12-11-2020, 04:17 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
You're only taking into account commuting for work. There's much more to consider when it comes to what constitutes a metro area. The relationship between the central city, its ring suburbs, and surrounding counties in terms of recreational assets, cultural assets, media marketing, etc. all come into play, not just driving back and forth from a job. working. I haven't commuted to work in 25 years, but still experience the benefits and effects of my central city and my metro area as a whole. The central city benefits from its suburbs as well. So, no, the metro concept, IMO, will always be there to properly convey what the area has to offer its residents and visitors.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:24 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
judging by the fact Counties are being added to metros I don’t think so

Old 12-11-2020, 04:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
No, this is a strange question when those people will still commute to the city for other amenities.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:48 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No, this is a strange question when those people will still commute to the city for other amenities.
or will they? I used to love going into the city on occasion, but with all the chaos and crime today, no thanks!

I think major cities will hollow out over time, but suburbs will remain about the same, continuing to grow outward. Downtowns are no longer needed and as mentioned, the crime rates are out of control.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:53 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
No way.

If anything a metro area will only define places more, as rural America continues its decline and slow death out of existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning