Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 09:18 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times

Advertisements

The Census defines a metropolitan area as a cluster of counties that have a significant social and economic connection, with at least 25% of commuters in a county commuting to a central county. I think this is just...bogus.

I mean, look at the Atlanta metro area for example. A whopping 29 counties. I find it extremely hard to believe that at least 25% of people living in distant counties like Heard, Morgan, Jasper and Lamar counties are commuting to a central county such as Fulton or Dekalb.

Another example is Fairfield County, CT. Apparently, only 22% of the residents there commute into the NYC area, so it's excluded from the NYC metro area and is its own metro area. However, I lived in Fairfield County for two years and it absolutely felt connected to NYC in many ways.

Another ridiculous example is the Riverside, CA metro area. Almost all of San Bernardino County is vast and rural. Only a tiny portion of it truly has connection to Riverside.

Then you have the Los Angeles metro area, the second largest in the country, only comprised of two counties. What a joke.

It's also hard to believe that Madison County, VA is strongly connected to DC. I mean, really??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 09:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
Preaching to the choir. More Wake county residents work in Durham County than Downtown Raleigh, and actually parts of the city of Raleigh are in Durham County. Still different metros.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:32 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
I think it's easier to "pull in" rural counties. Boston's MSA has the oddity of including Strafford County, NH which is really disconnected from the city via highway and rail*. It's inclusion in the MSA technically makes the University of New Hampshire a Boston-area school, which is wild.

*The Downeaster notwithstanding.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 12-17-2020 at 10:25 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I think it's easier to "pull in" rural counties. Boston's MSA has the oddity of including Strafford County, NH which is wildly disconnected from the city via highway and rail*. It's inclusion in the MSA technically makes the University of New Hampshire a Boston-area school, which is wild.

*The Downeaster notwithstanding.
Yes! I noticed that too. Strafford county is way too far north of Boston. Pretty crazy that it's included.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Preaching to the choir. More Wake county residents work in Durham County than Downtown Raleigh, and actually parts of the city of Raleigh are in Durham County. Still different metros.
Yes and it's hard to believe that Raleigh and Durham are separate metro areas. Like really??

Old 12-17-2020, 09:50 PM

20,521 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Why is LA hard to believe? 10 million people live in the county. That’s more than every other current metro not named New York. Should they add Ventura to show that it really should be 14 million in the metro or something?

Old 12-17-2020, 09:54 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,719,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The Census defines a metropolitan area as a cluster of counties that have a significant social and economic connection, with at least 25% of commuters in a county commuting to a central county. I think this is just...bogus.

I mean, look at the Atlanta metro area for example. A whopping 29 counties. I find it extremely hard to believe that at least 25% of people living in distant counties like Heard, Morgan, Jasper and Lamar counties are commuting to a central county such as Fulton or Dekalb.

Another example is Fairfield County, CT. Apparently, only 22% of the residents there commute into the NYC area, so it's excluded from the NYC metro area and is its own metro area. However, I lived in Fairfield County for two years and it absolutely felt connected to NYC in many ways.

Another ridiculous example is the Riverside, CA metro area. Almost all of San Bernardino County is vast and rural. Only a tiny portion of it truly has connection to Riverside.

Then you have the Los Angeles metro area, the second largest in the country, only comprised of two counties. What a joke.

It's also hard to believe that Madison County, VA is strongly connected to DC. I mean, really??
I suggest you take up your complaints directly with the US Census bureau.

You're not accomplishing anything here with your rant.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:54 PM

20,521 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Also just looked it up. Madison County isn’t included into DC metro. Did you mean Manasses?

Old 12-17-2020, 10:22 PM

8,878 posts, read 6,893,618 times
Do the commuters really need to work in the central city? That would be odd. Wouldn't it just be commuting into the rest of the MSA?

But yes, MSAs are a blunt object in a world of nuance. Mine has almost an entire national park.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:28 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Do the commuters really need to work in the central city? That would be odd.
Central county rather than central city. I also think there can be more than one central county? And in Boston's case, Middlesex County may be considered "central" even though it stretches all the way north to New Hampshire. Which might explain why Strafford gets included..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning