Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 05:27 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

Largest cities by population with no skyscraper that is over 800'
  • cut
  • Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC MSA

Any opinions on this trend? Would you like to see more skyscrapers over 1000' in American cities outside of NYC and CHI? Would you like to see supertall residential structures like Panorama Tower in Miami?

or

Skyscrapers are wasteful and the day of the supertall skyscraper should pass on to Asia and the Middle East?

You have updated the list to include the Bank of America bldg in Charlotte, but there is no need for tall buildings in Concord or Gastonia. Concord does have the Charlotte Motor Speedway and it's big, just not tall. I doubt Gastonia will ever have need for an building over 80 feet, let alone 800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 08:07 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) defines a 'supertall' building as one that is more than 300 m (984 ft) in height. ... The first supertall skyscraper was the Chrysler Building, completed in New York in 1930.
It's a fairly short discussion using the 300 meter standard, unless you are talking about Asia or the Middle East.

Using that strict definition there are only 7 supertalls in the US outside of NYC and CHI. Both LA and Houston have 2, but LA's are taller.

(342 m) Comcast Technology Center Philadelphia
(335 m) Wilshire Grand Center Los Angeles
(326 m) Salesforce Tower San Francisco
(312 m) Bank of America Plaza Atlanta
(310 m) U.S. Bank Tower Los Angeles
(305 m) JPMorgan Chase Tower Houston
(302 m) Wells Fargo Plaza Houston

There are 8 supertalls in Russia, and 1 in London and no more in Europe. There are only 2 in Australia

You would be correct.

Number of buildings with height 150 meters=492' or more for US cities
290 New York City
130 Chicago
54 Miami
39 Houston
27 Los Angeles
26 San Francisco
22 Seattle
21 Dallas
20 Boston
17 Atlanta
14 Las Vegas
14 Philadelphia
12 Jersey City
11 Sunny Isles Beach (located on a barrier island in northeast Miami-Dade County, Florida)
10 Pittsburgh
3 San Diego

Keep in mind that Chicago has a population of 2.71 million while Miami has a population of 0.45 million. Miami has the most 150 meter buildings per capita of any city in the US.
By 2025 Boston will be up to 27 over 150m. We have 5 u/c atm. One just finished up crane wise but still not completed

Old 01-20-2021, 03:49 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Quote:
The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) defines a 'supertall' building as one that is more than 300 m (984 ft) in height. ... The first supertall skyscraper was the Chrysler Building, completed in New York in 1930.
It's a fairly short discussion using the 300 meter standard, unless you are talking about Asia or the Middle East.

Using that strict definition there are only 7 supertalls in the US outside of NYC and CHI. Both LA and Houston have 2, but LA's are taller.

There are 8 supertalls in Russia, and 1 in London and no more in Europe. There are only 2 in Australia

You would be correct.

290 New York City
130 Chicago
54 Miami
39 Houston
27 Los Angeles
26 San Francisco
22 Seattle
21 Dallas
20 Boston
17 Atlanta
14 Las Vegas
14 Philadelphia
12 Jersey City
11 Sunny Isles Beach (located on a barrier island in northeast Miami-Dade County, Florida)
10 Pittsburgh
3 San Diego

Keep in mind that Chicago has a population of 2.71 million while Miami has a population of 0.45 million. Miami has the most 150 meter buildings per capita of any city in the US.
Charlotte has 10.
Austin, TX has 6

Old 01-20-2021, 04:30 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Charlotte has 10.
Austin, TX has 6
I'm getting 8 and 5. Unless you including under construction?

Old 01-20-2021, 06:54 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'm getting 8 and 5. Unless you including under construction?
Yes, there may be more in Austin. I know there were several proposed but I don't know if they are under construction yet.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:48 PM

447 posts, read 495,629 times
Quote:

You would be correct.

290 New York City
130 Chicago
54 Miami
39 Houston
27 Los Angeles
26 San Francisco
22 Seattle
21 Dallas
20 Boston
17 Atlanta
14 Las Vegas
14 Philadelphia
12 Jersey City
10 Pittsburgh
3 San Diego

Detroit should be added to that list with 8 towers over 150 meters and a 9th tower that is under construction - 912' Hudson Tower.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:39 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Detroit should be added to that list with 8 towers over 150 meters and a 9th tower that is under construction - 912' Hudson Tower.
The Hudson Tower will no longer be 912 feet. As of now, it will only be 680 feet.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:44 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
A lot of people are too young to remember that in early 1970s when the World Trade Center was being built in Manhattan there was a lot of competition of cities outside of NYC and Chicago to build a skycraper.

A competition among American cities seems almost quaint in a day Burj Khalifa a skyscraper in Dubai, soars to 2,722 ft which is well over the maximum 2000' height permitted in the US by the FAA. Saudi Arabia has put the world's first skyscraper planned for over 3000' on hold despite construction beginning in April 2013.

Nevertheless in the last few years after a lull of decades, when the corporate campus became a status symbol, five new record breakers have topped out.

feet year City "Name" - Tallest skyscraper in a City other than NYC and CHI that is over 800' ranked by year completed
  • 900' 2019 Jersey City "99 Hudson Street" - residential
  • 1121' 2018 Philadelphia "Comcast Technology Center"
  • 1070' 2018 San Francisco "Salesforce Tower"
  • 868' 2017 Miami "Panorama Tower" - residential
  • 1099' 2017 Los Angeles "Wilshire Grand Center"
  • 844' 2012 Oklahoma City "Devon Energy Center"
  • 871' 1992 Charlotte "Bank of America Corporate Center"
  • 1023' 1992 Atlanta "Bank of America Plaza"
  • 947' 1991 Cleveland "Key Tower"
  • 937' 1985 Seattle "Columbia Center"
  • 921' 1985 Dallas "Bank of America Plaza"
  • 1002' 1982 Houston "JPMorgan Chase Tower"
  • 841' 1971 Pittsburgh "U.S. Steel Tower"

Many cities do not have a building over 800'. Washington DC has severe height limits since 1899. Boston, Orlando, San Jose and San Diego have height limitations because of a nearby airport. Portland wants to protect views of Mt Hood.

Largest cities by population with no skyscraper that is over 800'
  • Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA --- height limits
  • Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ MSA
  • Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH MSA --- height limits
  • Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA MSA
  • Detroit–Warren–Dearborn, MI MSA
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI MSA
  • San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad, CA MSA --- height limits
  • Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA
  • Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO MSA
  • St. Louis, MO-IL MSA
  • Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD MSA
  • Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC MSA
  • Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL MSA --- height limits
  • San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX MSA
  • Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA MSA --- height limits
  • Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom, CA MSA

Any opinions on this trend? Would you like to see more skyscrapers over 1000' in American cities outside of NYC and CHI? Would you like to see supertall residential structures like Panorama Tower in Miami?

or

Skyscrapers are wasteful and the day of the supertall skyscraper should pass on to Asia and the Middle East?
You got it on a later list, but you left the original Comcast Center (2008 - 973', below the 300-m cutoff for a supertall but above the 800' threshold for your tall building list) off the list of "tower arms race" buildings above; it should appear where I boldfaced the ellipses above.

Oklahoma City has an 800+-foot-tall skyscraper? That and a more extensive streetcar loop may well be the only two ways in which that city outclasses Kansas City, which would also be on that list of big cities without 800-foot-tall-or-taller skyscrapers had you gone further down the list from No. 27 Sacramento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Wilshire tower ( seems like it's cheating sticking that antenna up to steal the title form U.S Bank tower, which is a better looking building) but I will say looking at L.A's recent new additions it seems like LA is almost starting to get the skyline it deserves and more befitting of the 2 largest city, Not there yet but moving in that direction
I call those antennas and spires "stupid building tricks," but since the arbiters of building heights allow them and have for decades — the Empire State Building's height includes the spire atop its 102d-floor observatory, and, of course, the Chrysler Building surpassed the Woolworth in height when its spire emerged from its roof in 1930 — we will simply have to live with them.

Sheesh, the Comcast Technology Center itself utilizes one of those stupid building tricks. If you look at it and its next-door neighbor the Comcast Center, you should note that the two buildings' actual floors rise to about the same height. The lit spire atop the CTC takes it to 1171'.

The two buildings — which form what I believe is the first all-skyscraper "corporate campus" in the country; Comcast brass refer to the two buildings as such to tour groups, and the CTC is designed so that it has a series of three-story-high atria on its east side that have clear views of the Comcast Center — also have produced knowing comparisons to tech devices from many wags: the Comcast Center resembles nothing so much as a giant USB flash drive, and the spire atop the CTC gives the building the profile of one of those early brick-sized cell phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Nitpicking a little, but Philadelphia has 16 at 492' or taller... And I didn't include anything currently under construction.

With regard to Miami, while impressive, all the buildings look the same. The beauty of the Chicago and New York skylines are not matched by Miami due to the higher level of design integrity and skyscrapers spanning generations. Miami will continue to pop out tall blue-ish glass towers which will look really nice from far, but very underwhelming when standing in the middle of it.
1. And, of course, one of those 16 is Philadelphia City Hall itself. That structure is the tallest masonry building in the country and the second-tallest masonry structure in the country, exceeded only by the 555-foot-tall Washington Monument. I don't think either of those records are in danger of being eclipsed; the foundation that supports City Hall Tower (and contains the building's 1871 cornerstone; it took 31 years to complete) is massive, so much so that a subway tunnel had to dogleg around it.

2. New York's skyline I find not all that attractive, because the sheer number of tall buildings cheek-by-jowl jostling for prominence with one another looks to me somewhat formless. I much prefer Chicago's skyline, which looks damn near sculpted to me. With the addition of the tall buildings along Market Street West since 1987, Philadelphia's transformed from a municipal buzz cut to one of the handsomer in the country in a very short period of time as well. I think it's actually best viewed approaching it from the northeast on I-95, but the most-often-shared view is the one from the southwest, taken from the opposite bank of the Schuylkill.

PacoMartin: What do the asterisks and daggers signify in the list you included in post #17? And as for your original question, I don't think I'd want to live in a world full of Burj Khalifas, and largely-low-rise Paris remains one of the prettiest cities in the world IMO. Come to think of it, low-rise Washington's no slouch in this department either. But a few strategically placed towers (e.g., Boston's Prudential and John Hancock towers, since joined by a third tall Back Bay tower; edited to add: both the iconic Eiffel Tower in Paris and the La Défense corporate center just outside its borders also qualify) and clusters of same do IMO give a skyline some interest and oomph.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:18 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I just want to note that the 800' minimum is rather arbitrary and shuts out NYC's Woolworth Building which at 792' was that tallest building in the world from 1913-1930.

I understand the impulse for a round number as the cutoff point, but let's give the Woolworth Building its due!
Up until about 1990, 700' was considered a supertall building as it corresponded to a record holder from 1909–1913, the Metropolitan Life Tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You got it on a later list, but you left the original Comcast Center (2008 - 973', below the 300-m cutoff for a supertall but above the 800' threshold for your tall building list) off the list of "tower arms race" buildings above; it should appear where I boldfaced the ellipses above.
The list you are referring to is the tallest tower in each city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I call those antennas and spires "stupid building tricks," but since the arbiters of building heights allow them and have for decades — the Empire State Building's height includes the spire atop its 102d-floor observatory, and, of course, the Chrysler Building surpassed the Woolworth in height when its spire emerged from its roof in 1930 — we will simply have to live with them.
The 1930s building had a clear distinction between spires and antennas. The modern buildings have reduced some spires to "fat antennas".

Trump considered putting a 300' mega spire on his hotel in Chicago to make it higher than the Willis Tower, but it turned out that afer 911 many residents did not want to live in the tallest building in America.

Trump's Chicago hotel is 1,388 feet including its spire, but its roof tops out at 1,171 feet.
Central Park Tower is 1,550 ft
Willis Tower is 1,451 ft

Last edited by PacoMartin; 01-24-2021 at 06:31 PM..

Old 01-24-2021, 10:44 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Up until about 1990, 700' was considered a supertall building as it corresponded to a record holder from 1909–1913, the Metropolitan Life Tower.

The list you are referring to is the tallest tower in each city.

The 1930s building had a clear distinction between spires and antennas. The modern buildings have reduced some spires to "fat antennas".

Trump considered putting a 300' mega spire on his hotel in Chicago to make it higher than the Willis Tower, but it turned out that afer 911 many residents did not want to live in the tallest building in America.

Trump's Chicago hotel is 1,388 feet including its spire, but its roof tops out at 1,171 feet.
Central Park Tower is 1,550 ft
Willis Tower is 1,451 ft
Thanks for the clarification, but I had also asked about the significance of the asterisks (the Willis Tower and seven buildings in New York) and daggers (Empire State and Chrysler buildings) in the list you put up in post #17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning