Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 12:00 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times

Advertisements

My ideal neighbourhood is a residential neighbourhood in a city. I do not want my kids raised in suburbs that often create weird bored people. I always wonder that if the fact that 30-40 years old who act like children when they move to an urban city act this way because they missed out on true childhood growing up in the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 12:03 AM

Americans and their obsession with land is overrated? If you want to see actual people who make use of land, then please visit a Jewish community in New York where they make their land useable while the average American sits on empty land and barely utilize it.

a small home on a large plot of land never made sense to me especially since the owners do not use it for anything.

Old 06-10-2023, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
I grew up in the Suburbs so I often feel nostalgic for that way of life.

It's a battle I find myself fighting often.

I'll find myself on Google Streetview looking around suburbs and admiring the bucolic, rolling hills, large houses and leafy nature of all...

I have to smack myself back to my senses and remind myself of my values....but its tempting.

Especially a Southern American place like Atlanta, or even deep south rural Delta Mississippi where there are also cultural dynamics that would pull me towards that type of living.

That, and unlike most Urbanists, I will admit i LOVE cars and car culture.

Driving the Natchez Trace in a drop top anything; can you imagine!
that makes sense cause the urban cities in the south for the most part are not appealing. Now the large southern cities like Atlanta are making appealing cities making their suburbs look more unattractive by the day.

Old 06-10-2023, 01:10 AM

1,038 posts, read 680,680 times
Could a moderator please fix the spelling in my headline. I meant to write "urbanophiles"

Old 06-10-2023, 09:19 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Whoever said it, nailed it: The suburbs are our future slums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I have said that before on here. I believe that the suburbs have 3 fates, none of them mutually exclusive: slums, salvage, and ruins. The mcmansions will not be worth the chipboard, drywall, and plastic they are made out of.
And that's why people have been steadily moving out of cities for the past decade, especially after Covid.....

I have lived on acre+ lots for long enough that I get claustrophobic whenever I visit family/friends in a city. I just can't see how people stand the congestion and noise. Plus, in the event of a 'dire situation', people in the cities will be toast.

Having said that, everyone should live where they feel happy, life is too short....

Old 06-10-2023, 10:13 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,696 times
I used to live in a highrise in the city. I no longer do.

That should tell you everything you need to know about what I think about big cities.

Old 06-10-2023, 10:55 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post

a small home on a large plot of land never made sense to me especially since the owners do not use it for anything.
At a minimum the land provides separation and space from others 100% of the time!
They can use the land as they choose. Most importantly they have the right to exclude others from their property (exclusive use and enjoyment).

It's not a difficult concept.

Old 06-10-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
At a minimum the land provides separation and space from others 100% of the time!
They can use the land as they choose. Most importantly they have the right to exclude others from their property (exclusive use and enjoyment).

It's not a difficult concept.
Absolutely true. A house built in the middle of a 5 acres parcel will have about 100 yards space, house-to-house, in each direction, minimum....

That is so nice, I can't see why everyone wouldn't insist on that.....?

Old 06-10-2023, 12:59 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times
You can have plenty of noise even on one acre in the country!

I used to have 15 acres in the country, on weekends, and living on the 38th floor of a high rise the rest of the week. I had more peace and quiet living in the high rise.

In the country, the noise from the dirt bikes, tearing across my property, gun practise noise in preparation for the deer season in November, wildlife noises, and a neighbor some distance away loved to play his boom box until late hours of the night.

You just can't beat it, living up high in a high rise. Up that far, I couldn't even hear the police car for fire truck sirens. Heavenly!

Old 06-10-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You can have plenty of noise even on one acre in the country!

I used to have 15 acres in the country, on weekends, and living on the 38th floor of a high rise the rest of the week. I had more peace and quiet living in the high rise.

In the country, the noise from the dirt bikes, tearing across my property, gun practise noise in preparation for the deer season in November, wildlife noises, and a neighbor some distance away loved to play his boom box until late hours of the night.

You just can't beat it, living up high in a high rise. Up that far, I couldn't even hear the police car for fire truck sirens. Heavenly!
Your country place was not the norm......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning