Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 07:04 PM

853 posts, read 693,687 times

Advertisements

Demographia has now released it's urban areas list for 2023!

http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf

How do you feel about it?

Despite a few mistakes, I think it is a very solid list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 11:27 AM

536 posts, read 188,410 times
What I find astonishing is the difference by metric.

Largest urban areas by population:

1. Tokyo
2. Jakarta
3. Dehli
4. Guangzhou
5. Mumbai

Largest urban areas by land size:

1. New York
2. Boston
3. Tokyo
4. Atlanta
5. Los Angeles

Here one can see how gigantic urban areas become due to low density development.

What I don't understand however is why they separate the Rhine-Ruhr urban area into two parts, Cologne and Dusseldorf. The Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan area is considered one connected urban area in most other publications. According to this statistic it would have a combined population of 8,987,000 inhabitants, which would put it ahead of Chicago.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:20 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
Metro Jakarta has 25 million people, and only 5 km (3 miles) of subway transit. The whole metropolis is slowly sinking into the ground. There are plans to built a new Indonesian national capital in a remote location far away on the island of Borneo, but even if that happens, it will relocate only 5% of Jakarta's population, and won't solve the problem.

Delhi is considered as having the world's worst measured air pollution, it's several times the recommended World Health Organization standards. Great numbers of people have asthma as a result.

Old 10-04-2023, 07:40 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Demographia has now released it's urban areas list for 2023!

http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf

How do you feel about it?

Despite a few mistakes, I think it is a very solid list.
There has been plenty of criticism of demographia and it's calculations.

Why Demographia’s data is irrelevant and misleading - Greater Auckland

More Critique of Demographia's International Housing Affordability Survey - Planetizen

In terms of urban sprawl it's something that many parts of the world deliberately try to avoid and it's ugly, tedious, monotonous and depressing, hence the need for green belts, garden suburbs, parks and good commuter rail links, all of which are common place in Europe and some other parts of the world.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-04-2023 at 07:50 AM..

Old 10-04-2023, 11:37 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There has been plenty of criticism of demographia and it's calculations.

Why Demographia’s data is irrelevant and misleading - Greater Auckland

More Critique of Demographia's International Housing Affordability Survey - Planetizen

In terms of urban sprawl it's something that many parts of the world deliberately try to avoid and it's ugly, tedious, monotonous and depressing, hence the need for green belts, garden suburbs, parks and good commuter rail links, all of which are common place in Europe and some other parts of the world.
I see some rankings that simply don't make sense among the US cities (for example Salt Lake City is double its MSA population, but San Antonio is 80% of its MSA population). But then the Greater Aukland critique is pretty stupid.
Parks are relevant to how dense the city is. If you decide to make half the city parks, you have decreased the density in a given area.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I see some rankings that simply don't make sense among the US cities (for example Salt Lake City is double its MSA population, but San Antonio is 80% of its MSA population). But then the Greater Aukland critique is pretty stupid.
Parks are relevant to how dense the city is. If you decide to make half the city parks, you have decreased the density in a given area.

I totally agree with you, a lot of it doesn't make any sense.

Sadly I can't Rep you at the moment, but will as soon as it will let me.

Old 11-24-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I totally agree with you, a lot of it doesn't make any sense.

Sadly I can't Rep you at the moment, but will as soon as it will let me.
It's the other way around, MSAs don't make sense. Demografia uses coverage of the built environment. They explicitly describe why urban areas as they define it vary from the metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) and city proper. The latter two are either political divisions or statistical areas while urban areas are mostly defined by what defines an urban area, namely a more or less densely built up environment.

Read page 3 - 5: http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf
They explain it much better than I did.

Old 11-25-2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
It's the other way around, MSAs don't make sense. Demografia uses coverage of the built environment. They explicitly describe why urban areas as they define it vary from the metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) and city proper. The latter two are either political divisions or statistical areas while urban areas are mostly defined by what defines an urban area, namely a more or less densely built up environment.

Read page 3 - 5: http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf
They explain it much better than I did.
Whilst I agree that MSA's are often inaccurate that does not mean that I don't also agree with the criticism of demographia, and the reasons for the criticism is cited in the articles I posted.

Old 12-01-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Whilst I agree that MSA's are often inaccurate that does not mean that I don't also agree with the criticism of demographia, and the reasons for the criticism is cited in the articles I posted.
The cited criticism of Demographia is a non-critique. They are basically complaining, that Demographia uses average population density instead of population weighted density. But that is the standard and not unique to Demographia. Your local/state/federal government does publish statistics about simple average population density as well. You can find average population density almost everywhere in literature. That doesn't mean this method is the only one that should be considered and it does not negate the validity of population weighted density. And more importantly you can take Demographia's definition of urban areas and calculate the population weighted density for that area. The reason why Demographia didn't use that data was probably, because it is very difficult to find data on every major city worldwide about the distribution of their population. The critique is a non-critique. None of this negates the validity of how Demographia defines urban areas vs metropolitan areas or city proper. And I don't know a better definition of urban areas than Demographia's one that isn't based on arbitrary political/statistical boundaries such as MSAs (Metropolitan Statistical Areas).

The critique by Planetizen is about Demographia's Housing Affordability Survey, which has nothing to do with their definition of urban areas and the numbers presented above. It's a critique of a completely another topic, which I may even agree with, but again, none of this has anything to do with the correctness of the numbers about the largest and most dense urban areas.

Old 12-02-2023, 08:02 PM

853 posts, read 693,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
The critique is a non-critique. None of this negates the validity of how Demographia defines urban areas vs metropolitan areas or city proper. And I don't know a better definition of urban areas than Demographia's one that isn't based on arbitrary political/statistical boundaries such as MSAs (Metropolitan Statistical Areas).
I totally agree. There are a few flaws but it is still the most accurate to measure the size of urban areas and compare city sizes around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning