Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:40 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times

Advertisements

what a stupid term McMansion".I see a few posters starting to talk down on them and the burbs.

What's wrong with having a decent size house?My gawd why must people be made to feel guilty about everything

People seem to get on my case about a house,,my guns,my soda,my coffee,my cigarettes,my sweets,my potoato chips..........it never ends, bitc-h,bitc-h bitc-h about everything and making people feel guilty.

Why can't I step outside to smoke a cig without someone having to comment "you know that'a not good for you".Jeez,shut the hell up and let me enjoy my break ok?

So now people are suppose to feel guilty about going away from crappy cities to a cleaner safer suburban area where they can actually afford a decent house that would cost 3 times more in the city?

So what if people drive 20 or 30 miles to home,now people are suppose to feel guilty about burning gas?Hey,I drive a Honda friggin Element.If people can't afford gas they'll sell their Ford Expedition and get a smaller car alright?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:01 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
I whole-heartedly agree with you. I've had people numerous times stick their noses in my business on things that are none of their business. The way I figure, they must have very boring lives if they are so concerned about what I do. I personally don't care how others lead their lives - it's none of my business. I only ask for the same in return.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:03 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
what a stupid term McMansion".I see a few posters starting to talk down on them and the burbs.
There's nothing wrong with them. They're just unAmerican and boring.

Quote:
What's wrong with having a decent size house?My gawd why must people be made to feel guilty about everything

Quote:
People seem to get on my case about a house,,my guns,my soda,my coffee,my cigarettes,my sweets,my potoato chips..........it never ends, bitc-h,bitc-h bitc-h about everything and making people feel guilty.
I don't care what you eat or drink, just don't whine and complain (b*h) as you call it when you have to pay $5 or more per gallon of gas and your insurer doesn't pay for your triple bypass because of poor health decisions.

Quote:
Why can't I step outside to smoke a cig without someone having to comment "you know that'a not good for you".Jeez,shut the hell up and let me enjoy my break ok?
That person complaining should be shot.

Quote:
So now people are suppose to feel guilty about going away from crappy cities to a cleaner safer suburban area where they can actually afford a decent house that would cost 3 times more in the city?
Again, don't make up scapegoats for escalating gas prices. China wants your gas and there's nothing we can do to say no to them.

Quote:
So what if people drive 20 or 30 miles to home,now people are suppose to feel guilty about burning gas?Hey,I drive a Honda friggin Element.If people can't afford gas they'll sell their Ford Expedition and get a smaller car alright?
Unfortunately, there's going to be a whole heck of a lot of used SUVs that no one wants. I was thinking about running a fleet of hourly rental pickups/suvs after the prices decline substantially more. See, there's opportunity everywhere .

Old 06-21-2008, 07:10 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
American is fast becoming a "nanny state" with everyone seeminly knowing what is best for everyone else....and not hesitating to try to force their opinions onto everyone elses lives. Whatever became of American independence? People use everything from health insurance to the environment as an excuse to regulate other people's private life and choices. The truth is, some people just can not accept the fact that other people won't accept their edicts as law.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
There's nothing wrong with them. They're just unAmerican and boring.
"Un-American"??? LOLOLOL - That's too funny - and wrong of course

"Boring"????? LOLOLOL - Again - too funny! - and again - wrong

Old 06-21-2008, 07:14 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"Un-American"??? LOLOLOL - That's too funny - and wrong of course
You forgot "in your opinion" (as did I )

I don't recall America's great legacy with huge houses. That's a recent "fad".

It is a wonderful and glorious thing to see the free market work its magic on the large vehicles and energy bills for these large houses. Economic darwinism is a marvelous wonder.

Quote:
"Boring"????? LOLOLOL - Again - too funny! - and again - wrong
Been there, done that. I guess it's just boring for me .

Old 06-21-2008, 07:15 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Some people aren't satisfied with just managing their own lives. They have a strong need to manage everyone else, even to the point of their housing and transportation choices.

They justify their actions by turning it into "it's better for everyone, overall" type of cause.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
These people who live in huge houses and drive huge SUVs are nothing but pigs in my view. They are selfish and do not care at all about the damage they are doing to the country and even their own friggin children. It is all about me me me with that crowd! Good Republicans I guess.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:18 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:

Sorry Jack but - "Mansions" have been around for 100's of years. 4000 sq feet is not all that large -

OBTW - you did not state it was "your opinion" -

What IS Un-American IMO is someone like you trying to dictate the size and style of home that others should desire -

Old 06-21-2008, 07:21 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Quote:

It is a wonderful and glorious thing to see the free market work its magic on the large vehicles and energy bills for these large houses. Economic darwinism is a marvelous wonder.

Been there, done that. I guess it's just boring for me .
Some people don't like living in cities like me because I like living near nature and actually be able to walk down the street without looking both ways for cars. Cities like Chicago, which I live near, are overcrowded as it is and I am expected to do my civil duty and live there? No thanks. I'd much prefer to live 30 miles away in suburbs like Mokena where I can go fishing everyday and walk in the woods and live in a decent size home for a more affordable price. Plus, not all jobs are in the cities like people think. My father makes his living at a company right by his home, he's the vice president of an oil inspection company and makes almost 200k. City isn't for everyone. Not to mention the demographics of cities, where crime is much higher than the suburbs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning