Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:42 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,841 times

Advertisements

Those are excellent pictures, and everything written is correct and to the point. Those pictures remind me very much of what I see when I visit my home state of Massachusetts, and see all the sub divisions with all these McMansions that have been built. Could not be more correct if I said it myself, separation of class, and completely dependent on vehicles to get to and from. These families in these homes have 2 3 and 4 or more vehicles, and of course several are big SUV'S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 12:44 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,683,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Beautiful pics. You almost make me want to go back there . . .

But notice what is missing from every single one of the urban houses you pictured (at least as far as I can tell).
Any guesses?
Hmmmm? I don't see those things in the newer development pics either!! Beautiful pics SWB!! Love those older homes!!

Old 04-29-2007, 01:20 PM

63 posts, read 402,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Hello,

I just read a great article in the March issue of National Geographic Magazine titled "The Theme-Parking, Megachurching, Franchising, Exurbing, McMansioning of America", accompanied by a "How Walt Disney Changed Everything" subtitle.

I think all of you who joined City Data attracted by demographics, growth and population issues affecting and shaping America will find it interesting.

They focus on Orlando as the ultimate example of 21st America: a complex, contradictory place where nothing is what it seems.

I find the article meaningful because it negates what many people think about the cities today: that they are coming back because some downtowns are being redeveloped with lofts and luxury condos.

It is not true. America is getting more and more exurban. Not just suburban but exurban.

At the same time, America is becoming more homogeneous with all the tract houses and big boxes but more diverse than ever- 28% of people living in American suburbs/exurbs are minorities. This shatters the old stereotype of the suburbs as all-white enclaves.

Exurban America is also a place of contradiction: populated by people who escaped the cities to get away from its problems yet ended facing them in their far-flung development: big-city crime, big-city traffic, big-city taxes.

While our old cities keep dying and losing population, vast amounts of open land in the middle of seemingly nowhere are transformed into the “urban” centers of the “new” America.

Thus goes the National Geographic article:

“Orlando is the new American metropolis”.

“These huge, sprawling communities are where more and more Americans choose to be, the place where job growth is fastest, home building is briskest, and malls and megachurches are multiplying as newcomers keep on coming”.

It's a fascinating read.
CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT DOES EXURBAN MEAN?

Old 04-29-2007, 01:27 PM

353 posts, read 504,358 times
I have no problem with the 'McMansioning of America.' I think it's a good development demonstrative of the vibrant economy and people that make up this country. I don't have a McMansion--though I do live in the suburbs. Everybody still is a-comin' to the 'burbs and they're doing it for a reason. There is obviously something to this McMansion draw and it can't all be bad.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:40 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,683,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn06 View Post
CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT DOES EXURBAN MEAN?
Well, as I understand it, it is the area outside of the traditional suburbs of a city, but not exactly in the country. When we bought our house 20 years ago, it was considered to be exurbia, but now I guess is almost considered a suburb because areas even further out have been developed since.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:49 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Well, as I understand it, it is the area outside of the traditional suburbs of a city, but not exactly in the country. When we bought our house 20 years ago, it was considered to be exurbia, but now I guess is almost considered a suburb because areas even further out have been developed since.
More formalized definition: you can go shopping in suburbia. Exurbia might have a small strip mall with a Subway restaurant and a Shell station. When Target comes to town, you're moving towards suburbia ... brace for traffic.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:50 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
They focus on Orlando as the ultimate example of 21st America: a complex, contradictory place where nothing is what it seems.

And Orlando to me, is the ugliest city. Worse than the industrial skyline of Baltimore. It has no soul- everything looks the same- cookie cutter houses, no historical architecture- ugly Target and shopping malls.

There is no artistic/architectural design. Just horrible, and traffic everywhere.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:20 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,683,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
More formalized definition: you can go shopping in suburbia. Exurbia might have a small strip mall with a Subway restaurant and a Shell station. When Target comes to town, you're moving towards suburbia ... brace for traffic.
True, no Target or grocery store, but we have a real mall now, not a strip mall. We also have a backyard with wild turkeys, pheasants, deer and other assorted "critters". Sort of an in-between area, I guess.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 PM

500 posts, read 2,860,163 times
Tn06,

According to the US Government, an "exurb" is

"A region or district that lies outside a city and usually beyond its suburbs"

You could call it a suburb's suburb. Or a rural area that has become a dormitory town for the city commuters.

Every year, the boundaries get pushed further and people travel longer distances, as both cities and suburbs get more expensive and lose population.

We've gone from city to suburb to exurb.

What is next for America? Will people live in the Grand Canyon area and commute to Los Angeles??

Old 04-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Air

150 posts, read 538,126 times
Can I just throw something into this discussion? I feel forced to buy a larger house than I need with more land than I want, farther away from the city. Why? Two reasons: thin walls and price.

If you can't afford to live in a very well-insulated and well-maintained older construction, you have to buy larger, more spaced out and farther away if you value your privacy and don't want to hear a neighbor's noise. It's funny how I never hear a sound in a small, pre-war, city apartment, but in a detached, new construction on a quarter acre, I knew when my neighbors came home and what music they were listening to.

Granted, there are many people who are all about the prestige of a McMansion and an SUV and space for all the possessions. But there are also a lot of people just looking for a little privacy and peace and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning