Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Urban Sprawl Been Good for America?
Yes. Bring on Wal-Mart, Freeways, and Tract Housing! 33 17.28%
No. Our Historic Cities are Now Rotting to the Core. 117 61.26%
I Don't Like the Suburbs, but I've Been Priced Out of my City. 21 10.99%
I Don't Really Care. 20 10.47%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,189,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
More often than not, people lie to themselves about the true cost of owning and operating a car. You'll often hear people talk only about the cost of gas to drive from point A to B. In fact, gas is less than HALF the true out-of-pocket expense. I've been tracking my per-mile vehicle expense since 1998, and consistently, year after year, gas is around 1/3 to 1/2 of my total cost. At best, it costs me around 30¢ per mile to drive my own car.

Don't blame you for moving back to the center of town. That's what I did, too. I now walk to just about everything.

Good luck with getting up to date in PA.
I know how much it costs. Now that the car is paid off, around $250 a month with gas, insurance, car washes and pro-rated maintenance. With the car payment, it was around $500 a month.

I bought my condo in an inner suburb in 2003 for around $90,000, with a $650 a month mortgage, and $160 assessment. I could have bought a condo downtown-ish for, maybe, $180,000, though even that price would have been tough. My mortgage would be double, and my assessment in a high rise would be at least double, if not more. So that's at least $800 more per month in housing. Even if I got rid of my car, it would still be cheaper to live in the suburbs. However, my job is in the suburbs, so I would need to either keep the car or find a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,781,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
URBAN SPRAWL is a curse--NO matter where it is. The strip malls, the "Cookie Cutter" houses, the "Gated Communities", the total lack of any character and sense of community.
Is character determined more by the buildings in the neighborhood or the people that live in them?

Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM

180 posts, read 475,563 times
I think it's both. Although that wasn't an answer choice. Sprawl has taken the demand of being crammed in one central location and made a bigger market for housing a population. And it gives more choices. HOWEVER, and thats a big however, the sprawl that is unchecked and the notion of "why not sprawl, we have the land to do so," needs to stop. Just because you're at a buffet doesn't mean you should eat to your hearts content. The same with sprawl.

Imagine if there wasn't any sprawl in the NYC metro. You think Manhattan is overcrowded and expensive now. So because the city was able to sprawl, it opened up the city to more people making New York more affordable and prosperous. The Metro just made sure there were other viable and reliable ways of getting into the city without the use of a car. Imagin NYC as it is now without its commuter rail, buses, and subways. Nevermind, don't think about it.

What I dearly hate most about sprawl is the highways that destroy peoples neighborhoods just so the people from far flung suburbs commute can be 10 minutes shorter.

Most american cities are built in favor of the suburbs at the expense of others neighborhoods. HOWEVER, if the tables were turned and highways were built criss crossing the NIMBY people's neighborhoods, houses and businesses were destroyed just to add two more lanes to a road so the commute for others is more convenient, it would be WWIII.

The point is both are crucial. Both are supposed to work in harmony. Just like a house. You don't want it too big because it's too much to maintain and sustain. On the other hand, you don't want it too small because you start to feel boxed in. The same with cities.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,781,879 times
I started a thread on that topic in the General U.S. forum. I think the same rigid, competitive mentality and need for structure and order that lead to the creation of suburbs is now shaping inner cities. Cities are becoming more like suburbs in both look and feel. See Atlantic Yards, Brooklyn, New York.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
Imagine if there wasn't any sprawl in the NYC metro. You think Manhattan is overcrowded and expensive now. So because the city was able to sprawl, it opened up the city to more people making New York more affordable and prosperous. The Metro just made sure there were other viable and reliable ways of getting into the city without the use of a car. Imagin NYC as it is now without its commuter rail, buses, and subways. Nevermind, don't think about it.
Well, the city had always expanded to accommodate more people (though sometimes not keeping pace) but post-1950 or so the density and pedestrian friendliness of new development dove way down. If there wasn't mass automobile ownership, the mass transit system could have been expanded instead of highways. The NYC didn't make sure there were other viable methods of getting into the city without a car; almost all the mass transit infrastructure was built pre-automobile and later too much of the old parts of the metro area where people lived and worked mass transit fit well and cars worked poorly due to density and city form so the other viable methods were maintained.

Most other cities had a drastic change in form and density somewhere near the 50s except some sunbelt cities which weren't dense to begin with..

Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,189,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Is character determined more by the buildings in the neighborhood or the people that live in them?
Absolutely! People always drive through a neighborhood saying "these identical stucco boxes sure are ugly, but just look at the wonderful character of the people of inside them!"

Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 17 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,930,399 times
Maximize efficiency ironic. Might seem unconventional that this high density boat is winning the contest. Rather than expressing energy resources too far spread out, let’s encourage endless main series of successful collection of massive municipalities that aren’t separating into further divisions of associations. Escape car monopolies, then enter freedoms of moving variability. Saturation of activity to power up functionality at a dense per capita rate. Solidly effective solutions to alleviate the issues of not having centralization going on within a metro area. Significantly reduce any clutter when firmly establishing growing civilization points of reference. Only real urban, no sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning