Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 11:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

I hail from Duluth, Minnesota. Duluth, especially the older neighborhoods, is full of old houses with big, beautiful porches. You could put an old full-size sofa or two van seats on a lot of them and still have room to spare. Many of them have lawn furniture, but with the exception of our tenants, I never see ANYBODY taking advantage of them. For the most part, porches go unused, and a lot of them are even screened in and turned into back halls by the owners.

In addition, I don't see many people walking down the sidewalks of busy streets outside downtown (London Ave., Grand Ave., Central Ave.). This is understandable in the winter, but in the summer? The past few days have been gorgeous, yet on Grand Ave. (for example) in a three block stretch I'll usually only see two or three people walking, one biking, but 30 driving. Even in commercial districts designed for walking (e.g. N. Central Ave / shops around Grand Ave & 55th) do you see few people actually out walking, and they'll usually be walking to or from their car (probably often to drive a few blocks home!) I imagine it's worse out in the eastern part of town. What gives?

Also, I've noticed something. You rarely see people working outside. We have store with apartments above, and across the street there is a little tiny lot we use for tenant parking, as well as parking for a broken-down van we use as an overflow garbage container and our "garbage van" we take to the dump. I often work outside; mowing the lawn next to the sidewalk with our push-mower, running across the street to dump things off, etc. However, I almost never see anybody about their business outdoors. Are commercial buildings nowadays (ours was built at the beginning of the century) intentionally built to "shield" actual business from plain sight? Whatever the case, it contributes very little to the vibrancy and vitality of the city when everybody's in their cars (windows often shut for climate control purposes) on a beautiful day.

Are all places outside major cities like this? What can we do about it? Or do you actually prefer it to be this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Some one help me out here, is this political or controversial?

Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 PM

Just answer it.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Just answer it.

I would if I had any idea what you are talking about.

If you are asking are people isolated in big cities all I can say is I live about 1 mile from NYC and no everyone is on top of everyone else. My little city has 30,000 people in one square mile.

I do wish NYC would stop hiding their businesses.

http://randolphmase.files.wordpress....8/broadway.jpg

Old 05-27-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I would if I had any idea what you are talking about.

If you are asking are people isolated in big cities all I can say is I live about 1 mile from NYC and no everyone is on top of everyone else. My little city has 30,000 people in one square mile.

I do wish NYC would stop hiding their businesses.

http://randolphmase.files.wordpress....8/broadway.jpg
What I'm asking is does your experience mirror my experience of Duluth in the following respects:

1. People have porches, but don't sit or hang out on them, even on beautiful days.
2. People drive everywhere, even when their neighborhood is perfectly walkable / bikeable.
3. Almost no work (whatever it may be), aside from sales, is performed in open areas.

And for the debate, I'm wondering if these things make a city seem "dead", and for politics, perhaps a proposal or two will come up here for local government action on this issue.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
What I'm asking is does your experience mirror my experience of Duluth in the following respects:

1. People have porches, but don't sit or hang out on them, even on beautiful days.
2. People drive everywhere, even when their neighborhood is perfectly walkable / bikeable.
3. Almost no work (whatever it may be), aside from sales, is performed in open areas.

And for the debate, I'm wondering if these things make a city seem "dead", and for politics, perhaps a proposal or two will come up here for local government action on this issue.

No, I live in a vibrant densely populated city. Driving is a hassle most people walk or take mass transit. There are no porches, most people congregate in public spaces in nice weather. Most people work in office buildings, I can't think of any place where it would be any different. Except, of course, in areas without office buildings.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I guess that's a rather American disease. Over here it is (still) different in most places. But there are also some people who think it is uncool to walk and just spend time outside, talking with neighbors or even strangers. Many are even at war with their neighbors so to speak.
In my little city many streets are so narrow that people have to walk anyway, no place for cars. You meet total strangers greeting you and shaking your hand
Maybe some people just don't have time anymore for sitting on the porch etc. Or they think they don't have it, preferring to play video games and do other stuff inside.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I hail from Duluth, Minnesota. Duluth, especially the older neighborhoods, is full of old houses with big, beautiful porches. You could put an old full-size sofa or two van seats on a lot of them and still have room to spare. Many of them have lawn furniture, but with the exception of our tenants, I never see ANYBODY taking advantage of them. For the most part, porches go unused, and a lot of them are even screened in and turned into back halls by the owners.
I live in a similar area and we always used the porch, until recently at least because I just had a house fire. It was nice place to sit and watch a thunderstorm. Now that you mention it the neighbors don't use them much, you could probably blame it on AC more than anything.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:

Most people where I live drive to where they want to go because it's too dangerous to walk.

I hang out on my porch all the time and yell at the kids to stay off my lawn.

I see my neighbors on their porches all the time, unless it's hotter than hell, or raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning