Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 AM

84 posts, read 195,781 times

Advertisements

I have read recently that overall things average out regarding taxes in Wa. and Or. I take it the only thing that has gone up in Wa. is tax on over $250k monied people, which means nada to almost all of us,and any taxes on gas , cigs. doesn't amount to much.I am not far from ret. and the Oregon code is not so simple as Wa. I know Wa. gets thier money from r.e. My choices have been narrowed down to L.O. , West Linn, or possibly Salmon Creek/Felida areas. We want top schools , trans. and no 3rd world people, low life as the crime rate goes up. An ex. is Alberta area vs. L.O. We have a daughter, so we want activities. I admire L.O. for not crying about money as much for schools, they get out and get it done. Check out the curriculum for L.O. Hi or Lakeridge on Great Schools. I admire those people. That's what a school sys should be !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,359,415 times
Sounds like Lake Oswego will be "white" enough for you. Hope you have lots of money to live there. Your education may leave a bit to be desired though.
And we'll be happy to take your 9% state tax.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times
I will agree that it seems you have already found your 'home' in L.O.

That said, (for any future info seekers) There are plenty of good areas to retire in WA with good schools. I can't say enough good about the options for HS in Clark County WA.
H.S. + options ...Voc. Skills Center Clark County Skills Center

Especially, Running Start. Academics - Running Start

These programs have graduated many Dr. & Lawyers, as well as countless civic leaders and even a whole herd of 'Worker Bees'

Full disclosure: I was a Clark County homeschooler, have hired plenty of students in various countries and of various backgrounds and training

OP; if you want L.O. in WA. check out Bellevue (Seattle metro)

For a more integrated and culturally rich area with good schools, look to the Island District in San Juans. (Or a farming community dirty finger nails)

Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 PM

Default Schools and living in Wash. Thanks Stealth Rabbit.

I got a few people up in arms, re: white enough. I do research on Sperling's best places and Great Schools. The top Wah. schools per Forbes, were Mercer Island( good luck on moving there), I'm not rich, Bainbridge, Medina,Sammamish, Redmond, Bellvue, Maple Valley, Kirkland. I did see a nice French Creole house listed for $275 in Port Ludlow. You can view it on Trulia ,or Realtor.com Tennis club, watch the ships. I am still a little uncertain about taxes on ret. inc. in Oregon, and I take it Wash. STILL has No taxes on ret. inc. or pension inc. Correct ? They just raised the tax on Bill Gates,(over $250K per yr).

Old 07-25-2010, 10:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
... I know that OR just passed taxing more on those who earn than 250(+)K .... but WA? Since when?

Last I heard, Gov. Gregoire was salivating at the thought, but I doubt she actually got around to it. I would like to believe that sort of thing wouldn't happen here. No income tax, and no tax on the dividends.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:52 AM

BG Sr. is making a case for income tax I-1098, (for <$200k single $400k married) it is also adds MORE B&O (which is a killer in WA state... based on GROSS revenues).
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._to_doing.html

WA is a good state to be an Employee or Pensioner & a renter, but potentially BAD if self employed, employer, or the tax assessor likes your home (or your view.... $6k taxes / yr on one of my BARE lots... ie. NO improvements).

OR has a 9% income tax on ALL income that exceeds $9k (IIRC). OR has some very quirky politics and funding for schools. I think it has a much lower bond rating than WA. (verify, but that could spell trouble),

OR and WA are currently politically 'Me-Too' states wanting to be JUST LIKE California. This will leave only AK as a potential long term place to live on the left coast. UNLESS the electorate becomes informed. 3 counties control the votes in WA and OR. It is very sad, as the other ~50 counties in each state get no voice, but lots of pain. Making it very hard to create jobs and do business. Many good wage paying businesses have fled the PNW, and will continue to do so. This can be a potential time bomb for a retiree. Keep a plan B. A home in California protected by Prop 13 will serve you well. (works for most my ex-coworkers)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-26-2010 at 01:02 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 AM

Default Great info you posted Stealthrabbit,this is what I

wanted to know! I did not know this matter was up in the air at this time. I saw that story is dated July 1, 2010. I do not understand the the words MORE B&O in your first line. The media has long stated that Illinois taxes drive out business to Indiana and elsewhere,as we have the highest sales tax in the country. It was just lowered to 9%, but has not taken effect yet. As one may expect, Chicago rules the state, and the ghetto voters will vote " me too", I'm not sure exactly about those words. Possibly "I want my cut". They built a huge newer prison in Chicago, and the state is broke partially from the grand pensions state employees were given, similiar to what Schwartzeneeger proclaims. It gets me SO aggravated the abuse by politicians of the money, and WHY no one on FOX or CNN beats the drum, "The army is killing the U.S.", paying off the whole world. They are controlled to a point I know. The people making over $400k can afford to pay more. And possibly you read these times have the worst averaging of income since 1917. I saw somewhere yesterday, something like 2% or 5% of the people control 50 % of the wealth. My wife is Soviet ,and was shocked @ how people were subjected to life in the 1930's on a documentary recently. Few people know, and it was the govmt's fault. My pension in iLL. IS NOT TAXED, but we can't live in this climate.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 AM

Default The Washington tax story.

An income tax would not hurt people so much if the r.e. taxes are lowered the 20%, I don't know the numbers,Bill Gates Sr. does. Re: Oregon, I read your post again, ALL INCOME over 9%. That clears that up! We read articles that maybe it is better to rent. I want to get out of this world,or at least my area,as someone let in so many terrorists dressing people around her in the last 10 yrs, I feel like I am in Bahgdad. I saw jesus Christ or Nostradamus at my store recently. I did ask. If not for the weather, we would move to Moscow. Health ins. is another matter. I read the inc. level for Medicaid is possibly $3300/mo. in Wash. and Or. per DHS. I only get $2500 pension. We will investigate out there. thanks everyone.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 AM

WA B&O is a state taxation on Businesses ONLY. Taxes and Rates
re:OREGON personal taxation, better do your own 'Due-diligence' Department of Revenue Assistance and Common Questions

Quote:
ALL INCOME over 9%
= ALL INCOME over ~ $11k TAXED @9% (verify / sliding scale but LOW threshhold, few exclusions)
Here is some info, as much as I dislike this site (not very accurate for entire state (municipalities can be much worse), sometimes old info) Retirement Living - Taxes by State: New York - Wyoming

Tax-Friendly Places to Retire - Kiplinger
State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees, 2009-2010 - Kiplinger

Each place will have some quirks, you need to decide what you are willing to live with.

'Me Too' = WA & OR governors proclaiming by their actions "I want to be just like California".
beef up the public service to make the state go broke, institute all types of regulations and rules making it impossible to do business, As a coalition try to get ahead of the Feds. ex. CARB, RES, Excessive Environmental constraints.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Default A big thank you again StealthRabbit

I made a typo re:9%, I reread $9K or $11K close enough nickels and dimes. I have read those sites you posted, and will look at them again. I was not sure about the LATEST going on out there. Thanks for the BG Sr. story. I sweat and froze for 25 yrs working outside, and now at times think to go back. At other times I think about sculling and cycling. Funny , the posts about Sherrif Bufford Pusser(I just looked him up), running the police office in Beaverton. That is why the crime is lower. They don't have Barney fife. And an informative post on the Portland forum," Will I be bored in L.O.", from a young lady. good evening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area