Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 AM

12 posts, read 68,969 times

Advertisements

HELLO ALL,

WE WERE JUST INFORMED ABOUT A MONTH AGO THAT MY HUSBANDS JOB IS RELOCATING HIM TO PORTLAND. I HAVE BEEN SPEDING NUMEROUS HOURS ON THE INTERNET RESEARCHING SCHOOLS, JOBS, HOUSING, TAXES BOTH PROPERTY AND SALES. I HAVE PRETTY MUCH NARROWED MY DECISIONS TO WA (95%) BUT I HAVE BEEN WAVERING BETWEEN TWO DIFFERENT ONES WHICH ARE CAMAS AND WASHOUGAL. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY ADVICE ON EITHER ONE OF THESE I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE AND INFO ON MY CONCERNS ABOVE. ALSO IF THERE ARE CERTAIN AREAS IN EITHER OF THESE TOWNS THAT WOULD NOT BE SAFE TO LIVE IN WOULD APPRECIATE THE HEADS UP.

LISA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 01:25 PM

68 posts, read 338,480 times
I have not personally lived there, however, my brother as well as some close friends live there, and I have spent quite a bit of time in the area. My take is that Camas is the better place to live in general while Washougal is most likely less expensive. In particular, the hills above Camas appear to be the best but also most expensive areas. Very good view of the Columbia River in certain locations in the hills. Living there may also add a significant amount of time to your commute however as it is farther to the major roads. Be aware that there IS an industrial area near a part of western downtown Camas... I believe it is part of the paper industry, but I'm not completely sure. You probably won't want to live in close proximity to that area as it can get quite smelly, and the waste is just generally unpleasant as I'm sure you'd expect. I don't think there is any area that would feel unsafe... it's pretty much a small town area with a small town feel to it.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 94,380 times
Camas has the better schools if this is of interest to you. Camas is so much closer to shopping as well but Washougal has huge lots and better home prices. Safety, I would go Camas in the Prune Hill area.....we just moved here in August and I feel very safe. You can email me directly with questions, melpotensky@aol.com.

Melinda

Old 10-19-2007, 11:22 AM

16 posts, read 71,023 times
I really have no opinion Camas or Washougal (although there is the smell issue in Camas) but the commute to Portland can be tough. Consider that either a new bridge or construction on the current I-5 bridge is going to greatly affect traffic from Vancouver to Portland commute for some years to come-- probably not in a positive way. It's a really complicated issue and nothing has been decided. Here's a brief overview:
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...l=7&thispage=1

Old 10-20-2007, 05:41 PM

11 posts, read 47,802 times
Lisa,

Moderator cut: references Here is what he story behind them is. Camas has tons of money coming in from major companies like Mill, U/L and Sharp, just to name a few. Washougal has little money coming in from major industries. They are like the step child of Camas. I personally love Camas and do not really care too much for Washougal. Camas high school is rated 8 and Washougal is only 5 out of 10. I lived in Camas for a number of years and never notice the smell expect when I crossed the bridge behind the mill. The latest rumor is the Camas mill is going to close and the city is going to expand the down town area. The mill closing will just make Camas grow even more. Recently Camas was rated around 63rd of top 100 best city to live in the United States. Now Washougal is a little easier to find a home for the money then Camas, but a longer drive to Portland or Vancouver. The good news is we are in a strong buyers market right now and there are many well priced, nice homes in either city. Of course house prices are relative to where you are moving from. Moderator cut: soliciting Personally I think Camas is better place but it is a little more money to live there. Take care and best wishes in your home search.

Moderator cut: links deleted

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-20-2007 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 11:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Camas for good schools and more 'suburbia' feel (tho there is also plenty of rural prop in Camas)

Washougal WAS... the stepchild, but is about to leap-frog Camas in available shopping / services and desirable for upscale homes. But the schools have a ways to go. Seems the new folks with $$$ are choosing Washougal.

Camas does have better availability of jobs and tax income, but... city management is a bit of a joke (as typical). Camas is a mix of old vs. new, and Washougal is more rural, tho growing new homes like weeds. Personally I wouldn't be keen on the lack of bridges over RR tracks and river. The commute can be a problem, as both cities have overbuilt for available roads. Be sure to check out your potential commute DURING commute hours. I feel very pleased to have a great 3 min commute to Hwy 14, and only one cross street. Rural roads have claimed the lives of several friends and their family members in the past few years. Hwy 14 used to be known for fatal Head-ons between Washougal and Camas, but we've been very lucky last few years (thanks to several bars closing). Now there is a big business in autobody and physical therapy business from 'rear-end' collisions between the two towns. (on Hwy 14). Usually 2-3 accidents / week. I don't travel that route during commute times.

For access to the gorge, a nice stiff breeze (fresh air) and to avoid snobbery I'd choose Washougal. Do be careful, as you are getting pretty close to Skamania County (skamaniacs). Most querky folks are being chased out by high taxes, so you might be safe. We haven't had too many bullets whistling by in the last few years. It used to be pretty common to hear a few shots and notice rifle rounds zoom by while working in the yard.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
My husband commutes from Camas (Holly Hills area) to Portland (PDX) and his commute takes 21-32 minutes each way. We live near Grass Valley Park and it feels extremely safe here. And I've never smelled any paper mill odor, either, except when I drove into downtown Camas literally right next to the mill.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:19 AM

615 posts, read 1,171,658 times
Please don't trust what the real estate agents tell you on this site. They are sales people on comission. They are only here to get potential clients. You best bet is to get the best answers from this site and plan a visit. Rememeber you can find a realtor anywhwere.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:30 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
janb - What new shopping/services are planned for Washougal? I'd love to see a better shopping mall on this side of the River, and a bigger Whole Foods Market would be welcome as well.

I Googled "Washougal development" but I didn't find anything very exciting...

Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
There is a new large retail complex in downtown Washougal next to Pendleton Mill (not quite ready to rent, but close)., More mixed use development planned in downtown.

Currently a commercial retail site is also being built over on Hwy 14, east of Burger King, South of tracks (supposedly Starbucks and Red Robin + more)

Riverwalk is inevitable in near future (commercialization of Marina by an ex-county commissioner - bad news ...)

The area near BiMart has some planning going on. + A few commercial buildings being built in WA industrial park, (maybe we will get some jobs...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area