Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:56 PM

470 posts, read 1,709,832 times

Advertisements

Can you tell I'm a Hockinson fan? Large lots (we're looking at a purchase of 3-5 acres), wonderful community feel, pastoral, rural environment but close to the nice amenities of NE Vancouver. Many professionals who are very vigilant about their children's education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,786 posts, read 58,271,470 times
I would stick with Camas or Hockinson for rural + good schools.

Depends on which area you like the best, and they are not a lot different. Each Area has hills and flat-land, forests and meadows. Gardening / soil better in Hockinson, bit milder, less wind. Camas more team sports, generic suburbia / proximity to Columbia Gorge (recreation and adverse weather)

Hockinson probably tends to be more conservative with a lot of Apostolic Lutherans and LDS, This can create some issues too, (can be socially exclusive) but... if you have a preference towards leaning RIGHT you may be happier there. Camas is not too left, but the majority of new populace is from CA and OR so value set is more "left Coast" (Un-churched). Thus your kids friends and your co-laborers will be of 'said' mix. There are good churches in Camas area, but more of the 'Sunday' (Saturday night) variety than 'lifestyle" such as Apostolic's and LDS.

Camas School District: Home
Hockinson School District

Health links should be on these sites, or give them a call, I've never known a public school to be 'dis-interested' in gaining more revenue (tho I'm sure there are some)

Quote:
Hockinson fan...Many professionals who are very vigilant about their children's education
you can say that again.!!.. I was very surprised at the number of kids from my co-workers (engineering centric) getting awards at graduation, and whose spouses / selves were very engaged in the education process. Hockinson has some pretty motivated learners and staff, and have done an exceptional job of retaining their high quality education, in spite of the growth and pressures of diversity that come with 'urban-interface'.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-07-2008 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 PM

470 posts, read 1,709,832 times
I wonder about the presence of LDS/Apostolic in Hockinson - the school bonds/levies keep passing, so perhaps their numbers are diminishing? Same population in Battleground, but their schools struggle in the area of community financial support.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:16 PM

I expect the 'right' to support school bonds as long as the district is 'delivering a quality product AND they have representation on the board to assure $$ go for something besides Admin salaries and irresponsible spending... BG has not delivered well on the edu front (at least not consistently), and they have a lot bigger district to handle with significant social / economic variation. I tend to 'profile' logging' communities different from 'farming'... from my limited experience there is a significant difference in many of their values. As I've mentioned before.... Dairy Farm Boarding school would do little harm to most teens Milking at 5 am and at 5 pm 7 days a week, little time to go 'astray'

Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,844,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I expect the 'right' to support school bonds as long as the district is 'delivering a quality product AND they have representation on the board to assure $$ go for something besides Admin salaries and irresponsible spending...

I don't have a problem with Admin salaries at the top of market rate...that's how you attract and retain high quality talent.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 AM

550 posts, read 3,269,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I don't have a problem with Admin salaries at the top of market rate...that's how you attract and retain high quality talent.
Same here, Topaz. Most principals and superintendents have PhD's. I'm totally fine paying someone with a doctorate a decent wage. Yes, it will likely be more than the local average, as well it should be.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 43,809 times
Default Thanks!

I am really finding these comments helpful. Does anyone know when I have to register my kindergartener by? I don't want him to miss out. How are the community sports in Camas and Hockinson? What is the difference between Hockinson and Orchards? Are there any free sites that I can check on home prices? I think that we are wanting to find a foreclosure even if it needs a little fixing up. I really would like 1/2 acre or bigger, but need to keep my price under 250K. Any suggestions?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM

550 posts, read 3,269,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromutah View Post
I am really finding these comments helpful. Does anyone know when I have to register my kindergartener by?
Most schools will let you register anytime including after school begins. Of course, it's always best to do so earlier than that. Some districts are allowing registration now for next year. You can usually find out when they hold their "Kindergarten Roud-up" on the district website.

Quote:
How are the community sports in Camas and Hockinson?
I'm not as familiar with the Hockinson area, but the community sports and rec (http://www.ci.camas.wa.us/parks/parksev.htm - broken link) programs in Camas are exceedingly active.

Quote:
Are there any free sites that I can check on home prices? I think that we are wanting to find a foreclosure even if it needs a little fixing up. I really would like 1/2 acre or bigger, but need to keep my price under 250K. Any suggestions?
My favorite is Trulia. They provide a ton of great information, including whether the home is a foreclosure.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
... What is the difference between Hockinson and Orchards? ...
Big difference, be careful about Orchards, sites vary, but a lot of rentals, and less desirable neighborhoods (tho some nice too). Probably plenty of foreclosures BUT.... your $$ would be better spent in Hockinson or Camas for future resale potential / quality of life.

Hockinson 99% rural & nice soils + forests & noisy cows
Orchards 80% suburbia, rocky soils (tract homes + strip malls + traffic) & noisy neighbors (sometimes violent)

~ 10 min apart... worth the longer drive IMHO

(hint... find a trashed mobile home on acreage... permits ez, utilities already installed, no impact fees (these are imposed for 'changing use' from vacant land to residential / commercial... & can = $20,000 +...for - parks, transportation, schools, watershed) ... you can replace the mobile with a NEW 'repo' / built but not delivered, modular for <$40k, or build something to replace it / a shop with apartment or house)

When / if you go to resell, rural props are usually easier to get rid of. Tract homes are tough to make $$ on and even tougher to resell. In any event PLEASE check out the neighborhood. Any destination can be ruined by poor neighbors. (they are the ones that never move, (owners) or may be the ones with the 'revolving door' (renters))

Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 43,809 times
Default No time to build, then where to go?

We are leaning towards Hockinson and looking for a little property as I have an invalid father that will probably need to live with us. I am looking for something with a seperate building/ mother in law apt so my honory father won't be mean to my kids. Any farms for sale or in foreclosure? I hate to take advantage of someone elses misfortunes, but need to get the most for my money. What are home prices like there? I am looking for 1/4 acre + and 2800sq. ft +
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area