Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 12:02 PM

849 posts, read 971,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

As a newbie to the area initially, it turned out I was overly concerned with the wind and over estimating their daily affects. That was a pleasant surprise. After living in CO and also along the coast where winds could be very strong, we generally have milder winds here year round. So, I guess all things are relative to what you're used to.

Have you spent any time in southern California? How would you say they stack up to the Santa Ana winds? There were times I almost found it hard to even walk against the wind with the big jacket I had on. It even blows trees over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 03:22 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,748,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Have you spent any time in southern California? How would you say they stack up to the Santa Ana winds? There were times I almost found it hard to even walk against the wind with the big jacket I had on. It even blows trees over.
Yes, I grew up in SoCal on the coast where we got the wind right off the ocean. Santa Anas were fun growing up because it meant the wind was 'offshore' and warmer which also made the waves better. Though they could cause fires to grow faster in the hills due to dry/drought conditions. Stronger winds typically occurred during winter with the big fronts moving in off the ocean especially during El Nino years.

How does it compare? I think most are under the false impression that anywhere along the Columbia river is super windy because of the reputation Hood River has for windsurfing and high winds. But those winds diminish greatly as one heads further west toward Vancouver and Portland. We don't typically see winds that are too strong to walk down the street or that blow trees over. Those type of wind events are rare and only a few times a year depending on the year. Its not really that different than other places down south in that regard. Bad winds and windstorms come, sure. But they're certain not every day nor even every month. Just don't overblow (no pun intended ) it in your mind thinking your going to be battling wind all of the time. That's simply a false impression of daily life here. Its more rare than a regular thing.

Derek

Old 03-02-2022, 05:19 PM

657 posts, read 1,339,893 times
My stepmom lives in 5 Corners area and has also said same as you stated that the winds are not a constant and the farther west the lesser they are. Here in NM it is windy for half the year during all seasons, and the winds are frequently 15-30mph and sometimes higher. With the high desert dust always in the air we're just hoping for less wind. Also grew up in SoCal and the Santa Ana winds were strong but a short time frame so mostly tolerable.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:17 PM

5,498 posts, read 7,792,188 times
Honestly this winter the winds have been relatively mild compared to previous years. I only remember one bad windstorm this winter when our metal park bench got blown off our porch. In past winters I had to drag it inside.

Rule of thumb. When shopping for homes in Camas if you have a 'view' you are going to get wind. ESPECIALLY if you have a view of Mount Hood or the Columbia. If you want shelter from the wind, find a home nestled down under a hillside not on top of it. And you'll save a ton of money too.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:40 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,748,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
My stepmom lives in 5 Corners area and has also said same as you stated that the winds are not a constant and the farther west the lesser they are. Here in NM it is windy for half the year during all seasons, and the winds are frequently 15-30mph and sometimes higher. With the high desert dust always in the air we're just hoping for less wind. Also grew up in SoCal and the Santa Ana winds were strong but a short time frame so mostly tolerable.
Haha, yeah, when we first moved to the high desert in CO, little did we known we were in for rude awakening. Within the first couple of days moving there, we put out all our moving boxes out between the recycling and trash cans for pickup. They were nicely stacked all together. Within a few hours later that night, we discovered we had decorated our entire neighborhood with these boxes which the wind strewn down the street and into our neighbors yards everywhere! So, we were out there in the dark trying to pick them up while it was like 15 degrees and super windy out. Welcome to Colorado you bunch of Californians! BTW, it gets windy here. Oh, and that's nothing compared to the lighting and thunderstorms that shake your house along with the hailstorms that cracks your windshields!! That's just life in the high desert living a mile high+ on the continental divide.

This Vancouver area is sissy stuff by comparison.

A recent post from our friends in CO reminding us what 'real winter' is like.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-02-2022 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area