Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,787 posts, read 58,271,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
That's because there are really not that many houses up there and a lot of them are small older rural houses that are not going to be very appealing to most people moving in from places like CA except as a teardown.
good idea to find a 'tear-down' (for the right price) Best if you can keep it for a 'guest house, but...)
includes free!!! (These may cost you $100k + 6mo to one yr delay)
  1. well
  2. Septic
  3. power
  4. driveway
  5. fences
  6. outbuildings

and MOST importantly:
No / reduced impact fees (very important in Camas District)
expedited permit process (since already established as 'residential')

A bulldozer or excavator costs about $500/ weekend and is a nice way to release some pent up aggression (from dealing with the permit process)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:54 AM

147 posts, read 151,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I guess it's a matter of definition. I think of the Fern Prairie area as being the cluster of homes and businesses around the Fern Prairie market on SR500 and the area around Grove Field airport. Livingston Mountain is another 5 miles further north. If everything north of Camas until you reach the mountains including Livingston Mountain and Spud Mountain is considered Fern Prairie then yes, there is a ton of new development and upscale homes up there. I was referring more to the immediate older community around the Fern Prairie Market.

There are also a bunch of brand new subdivisions going up east of there along SR500 and NE 28th St. If that is all considered Fern Prairie then there are indeed a lot of options.
My apologies texas, your last post had mentioned Livingston mtn and I thought we were discussing the whole area. Fern Prairie is indeed just the area around the airport and market. I believe Glavin homes (?) is building a few new (1 mil +) homes there but otherwise, they are primarily older ranch homes on acreage.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right, but being that this is a WA forum, it's safe to assume that most, if not all, the posters are Americans. And I happen to know Mtn Surfer, who raised the matter, and he's American, speaking about American usage, as was I, in response to him.
forgive us, but.. since we live in Vancouver (Not Canada), Washington (Not DC)

Many of us (here) speak 'international' dialect (not AN international dialect)

Life such as it is in this region... many of our neighbors / coworkers / friends / family are from all over Asia and Europe.

Similar when living / working in Singapore and speaking Singlish.
If you want to have CLEAR communication and expected results... you need to speak like a local.

Sorry for the offense (of being local). 80% of my time is with international people and destinations so I am losing my "American roots". And through many struggles... my "English Teacher" mom (RIP soon), grandmother (RIP), DW (RIP soon)... have all learned to 'accept me'.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:27 PM

22 posts, read 20,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The funny part of that is I've had several from the PNW forums tell me (in a friendly way) we should probably just stay in Monterey. haha

I have to admit as a CA native, this is my favorite part of the state from a livability standpoint. We're just far enough outside the large cities to not experience all of their problems. And population growth is basically flat due to environmental land use restrictions. This keeps traffic low and the area beautiful but very limited in terms of housing availability.

If we had a big pile of money we would gladly stay as well. Unfortnately, as you well know RE is completely insane in the Bay Area including coastal regions such as Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel and PG. But we've loved living here for over a decade while raising our kids in the area. It's a fun and beautiful place to live that's for sure.

Derek
Santa Cruzean here researching for a possible move to Clark County. The more I research the more I like the idea of moving. Santa Cruz is great but we really want to live on larger property and short of winning the lottery, that is not going to happen here! Good luck on your search!

Old 11-05-2018, 03:32 PM

103 posts, read 92,110 times
We took the kids to the boardwalk back in June for a day trip. It took more than six hours of driving from Walnut Creek area! No accidents, just absolutely insane traffic on a Saturday going both ways.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,748,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182pilot View Post
We took the kids to the boardwalk back in June for a day trip. It took more than six hours of driving from Walnut Creek area! No accidents, just absolutely insane traffic on a Saturday going both ways.
No thanks!!!

I try to avoid those crowd scenes with our kids big time. The only crowd scene I still enjoy is the Monterey Jazz Festival. All that great music seems to be a unifier in spite of the crowds. But we're also able to walk to the event. So that helps.

Hopefully, Vancouver and Portland will have some descent music festivals, Jazz being our favorite.

Derek

Old 11-05-2018, 08:31 PM

5,497 posts, read 7,792,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
No thanks!!!

I try to avoid those crowd scenes with our kids big time. The only crowd scene I still enjoy is the Monterey Jazz Festival. All that great music seems to be a unifier in spite of the crowds. But we're also able to walk to the event. So that helps.

Hopefully, Vancouver and Portland will have some descent music festivals, Jazz being our favorite.

Derek
Used to be a big jazz festival out here called the Mt. Hood Jazz Festival but it faded away in the early 2000s for what reason I'm not quite sure as I wasn't living here then. But there are a variety of jazz clubs and traveling acts and some smaller festivals

https://www.oregonlive.com/music/ind...al_offers.html

There are a ton of more informal music in the parks sorts of things happening in the summer including in East Vancouver/Camas. The Tech Center development has a grass ampitheater and they do weekend concerts in the park all summer. It's a big grassy area kind of behind the Hopworks Brewery at the corner of Mill Plain and Tech Center Parkway. It's popular, people show up early to claim seats with their lawn chairs and coolers and there are usually a few food carts if you don't bring your own picnic. It's free so what's not to like? We saw Curtis Salgado play there last summer.

https://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks...ors-automotive

There are similar happenings all over the Portland metro and downtown Vancouver all summer. Another favorite venue is the McMenamin's Edgefield Inn which has outdoor concerts in Troutdale all summer

https://www.mcmenamins.com/edgefield

And if you want to drive there are music venues at wineries out the gorge about an hour away: Washington Wines - Concert Venue | Maryhill Winery

There's obviously not as much happening as in the greater SF Bay area but more than enough to keep you busy all summer and plenty of performing arts venues in Portland that bring in traveling and local artists all year round.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:02 AM

https://www.opb.org/kmhd/

I don't do Jazz, but appreciate the annual
https://cmnw.org/
and
https://www.allclassical.org/ (Good source for variety of events)

"The Score" is always interesting...
https://www.allclassical.org/our-programs/the-score/

https://www.allclassical.org/spotlig...merican-scene/
https://www.allclassical.org/program...ung-musicians/

With 20+ regional colleges, there are plenty of interesting venues during the bleak winter!
this list of 26 is missing a few higher edu places in Portland and Vancouver that I frequent.
https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...egon/portland/

Old 11-06-2018, 08:07 PM

22 posts, read 20,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182pilot View Post
It’s so bad during the Summer. Definitely will not miss the traffic. My husband is the opposite of a beach person so I joked that a beach-going family should take our place here. We love the idea of spending time by rivers in the summer. Even though Camas is still our top spot we are looking, I get a really good feeling looking at houses/property in Washougal. So excited for our scouting mission in Dec!

Old 11-07-2018, 07:10 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,748,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyBee View Post
It’s so bad during the Summer. Definitely will not miss the traffic. My husband is the opposite of a beach person so I joked that a beach-going family should take our place here. We love the idea of spending time by rivers in the summer. Even though Camas is still our top spot we are looking, I get a really good feeling looking at houses/property in Washougal. So excited for our scouting mission in Dec!
While we are beach goers, we really enjoyed the Gorge, rivers and Lacamas Lake this summer while visiting. It feels like just the tip of the iceberg with so much to see and explore.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area