Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 10:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,536,756 times

Advertisements

People are like sheep and their vision is limited. Keep Driving West from Vancouver and you will arrive at the small towns of Cathlamet and Skamokawa. They have clean air and the best views of the Columbia River. No traffic but you can always go to Longview or Astoria to get a city feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 10:43 PM

220 posts, read 155,652 times
I love Vancouver, and billionaires do also.

Old 01-01-2020, 05:19 PM

76 posts, read 91,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Denser housing in new construction is a nationwide phenomenon at this point. Want out of that mold and you have to buy some land and have it developed yourself.
Living in Texas land is plentiful. I am looking at Vancouver my preferred climate 105 degree summers are for the birds.

Not uncommon to move 20 miles from a major city like Dallas and buy a few acres build a 3k/sqft house for 350-400k and call it home. If you like land with no trees and flat as plywood.

Old 01-01-2020, 05:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,796 posts, read 58,310,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonthedog View Post
Living in Texas land is plentiful. I am looking at Vancouver ...
Not uncommon to move 20 miles from a major city ... and buy a few acres build a 3k/sqft house for 350-400k and call it home. If you like land with no trees and flat as plywood.
Not sure you are asking any questions, but if you plan on doing this in Clark County, WA... Be very aware of "Impact Fees" and other fees / restrictions. (Vary by municipality / controlling agencies). My Texas properties are MUCH less expensive to develop. (No fees, no permits, no inspections, cheap labor, VERY cheap land, freedom (to do what you want with your property (Not able to do that in PNW), much of the econo building materials allowed in Texas are not available or allowed in PNW. )

It's possible to still buy and develop property in PNW, but not nearly as fast / easy as it is in Texas.

ALWAYS have a 'walk-clause' and validate water and septic and power availability when considering building property.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 7,802,995 times
This isn't Texas. Don't try to build your own home here if you aren't from the area. Too many pitfalls and costs and shortage of builders. You can walk into a new subdivision being put up by some established builder and pick an existing lot and have them build something up according to one their established "models" and pick your finishes if you want. Lots of people do that. But I wouldn't buy some random lot on the edge of town and expect to get a nice home anywhere close to your expected budget and timeline.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:03 AM

220 posts, read 155,652 times
I used to live in Dallas - Plano Richardson area

Old 04-23-2020, 08:54 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,669,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Refugees are just one issue, the one I'm researching at the moment. While researching other points I tripped over it... had to add an additional column to my data sheets, regrettably.

Trust me, the list is very long. This is but one thing in dozens.

FWIW you mention upscale areas close to Compton... wouldn't live there either... lived in a gated community in Vegas... bad guys just took a $1.50 bus ride to wherever they wanted... stole my car and motorcycle both.

Personally I'd want at least 20 miles or so of buffer.

It's clearly one of the reasons South Orange County is so pricey. Anything "bad" is 20, 30, 40 or more miles away.

Compton is, I'd guess 40 miles off... the bad parts of San Diego 60-80 miles.

Works for me... except for the prices.

I'm a working class slob, LOL!

Real crime stats? Look at Table 1 on page 3... gun homicide rates are 9 times the average in the black community.

There's are real reasons folks avoid "the ghetto", including successful blacks.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/...g13VH_p3xpuEg0

Go to the last column and look for the number 34.4... black gun homicide rate... 9x the rest.

Deeper analysis of the data shows young, black males own 95% of that... so roughly half the gun homicides in the USA are owned by 3% of the population... but media wants to assign it to crazy whites on SSRIs.
I think a place like Idaho may work out better for you.

Now, bac to comparisons, which suburb of Portland is tech driven, somewhat walkable, safe of course. I live in Bellevue, WA now, but I know there's nothing like it in Portland. Is Beaverton the closest?

Old 04-23-2020, 09:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,796 posts, read 58,310,542 times
Beaverton, Aloha, Hillsboro (all to the west)

Fairview and Gresham to the east have some tech, but not as much as west (mainly IC fab)

Tualatin and Lake O have a bit of tech to the south (Wilsonville too!)

Vancouver probably is about 3rd place for tech... just behind Beaverton / Hillsboro

Both Vancouver and Wilsonville had Tektronics operations (back in the days for tech actually manufacturing instruments in USA.

Corvallis is quite techy and not bad place to live for Oregon.

McMinnville lost their HP medical tech factory about 1985. (Sold off to 3rd party). Very nice place to live! Small college town, near Corvallis, Salem and Portland (and the coast).

Old 04-24-2020, 08:58 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,669,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Beaverton, Aloha, Hillsboro (all to the west)

Fairview and Gresham to the east have some tech, but not as much as west (mainly IC fab)

Tualatin and Lake O have a bit of tech to the south (Wilsonville too!)

Vancouver probably is about 3rd place for tech... just behind Beaverton / Hillsboro

Both Vancouver and Wilsonville had Tektronics operations (back in the days for tech actually manufacturing instruments in USA.

Corvallis is quite techy and not bad place to live for Oregon.

McMinnville lost their HP medical tech factory about 1985. (Sold off to 3rd party). Very nice place to live! Small college town, near Corvallis, Salem and Portland (and the coast).
Out of reps, but thanks. That's what I figured. I'd love the Oregon side, but not big on paying state income tax.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:20 PM

8,226 posts, read 16,756,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Out of reps, but thanks. That's what I figured. I'd love the Oregon side, but not big on paying state income tax.
Yeah, I work in the tech industry remotely, so can live anywhere. But I like the Vancouver side along with income tax incentive.

Regarding PDX, I can be to airport or other parts of the city quicker than outer burb areas like Hillsboro. It's nice when I need to travel for business or pleasure. Now if I worked at Intel, that would be a whole different story. Though I have a friend who does that commute from Vancouver. It's not pretty at rush hour and not one I would do for any length of time!

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area