Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:54 AM

449 posts, read 194,765 times

Advertisements

..... takedown.

What might the cost be to remove one of these behemoths if you were uncomfortable with the location of it next to the house ?

What do you do when one of those are next to your house but is in an adjacent property and the fallout of branches and leaves enters your property ?

As I review properties, I wonder what can be done with this situation as it sometimes takes a desired home and disqualifies it in my mind if its location is or can be a hazardous one. Is this a real concern or am I "out in leftfield" with this ?

Thank you for whatever information or opinions you may have regarding this. It will be very helpful !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 08:39 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Yes it is a real concern.

Yes it costs a lot of $$ to remove a large evergreen. I've heard of people paying several thousand dollars for especially large trees. Depending on the tree there may be some lumber value that can recoup the cost.

I would be more concerned about a giant one-off tree in someone's yard next door than I would be living next to a greenbelt with natural vegetation that contains large trees. There is some safety in numbers and the wind is less likely to take down a whole native grove of trees growing in native soil than a big tree sitting alone in someone's yard where the soil and such may be disturbed.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:52 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
From my experience it will vary but with many service providers in the area it will not be a problem to get several quotes. Price can easily range from 1K to over 2K not counting additional to deal with stump.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yes it is a real concern.

Yes it costs a lot of $$ to remove a large evergreen. I've heard of people paying several thousand dollars for especially large trees. Depending on the tree there may be some lumber value that can recoup the cost.

I would be more concerned about a giant one-off tree in someone's yard next door than I would be living next to a greenbelt with natural vegetation that contains large trees. There is some safety in numbers and the wind is less likely to take down a whole native grove of trees growing in native soil than a big tree sitting alone in someone's yard where the soil and such may be disturbed.

Thank you texasdiver for your always informed insights. You bring up a point that would never have crossed my mind. Your students I'm confident, learn a great deal from you ... of which I am one...

Old 09-27-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
From my experience it will vary but with many service providers in the area it will not be a problem to get several quotes. Price can easily range from 1K to over 2K not counting additional to deal with stump.

Thank you cdelena for this information ! It gives me an idea as to the approximate amount it may cost and I can factor it in. Thanks again !

Old 09-27-2019, 08:53 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
It makes some difference if there is room to fall the tree, or whether it needs to be taken out in short sections.

If it can be falled in one piece, it may have timber value the logger can use to offset the cost.

It if has to be sectioned, it will be worth only firewood, and it will be a more expensive job. He will have to climb the tree and lop it off in foot-long segments... all the way down. If they can be safely dropped, great, if they have to be lowered on a line, more $$$.

If the tree belongs to a neighbor, you can't cut it down without permission. You can only cut whatever crosses your line.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It makes some difference if there is room to fall the tree, or whether it needs to be taken out in short sections.

If it can be falled in one piece, it may have timber value the logger can use to offset the cost.

It if has to be sectioned, it will be worth only firewood, and it will be a more expensive job. He will have to climb the tree and lop it off in foot-long segments... all the way down. If they can be safely dropped, great, if they have to be lowered on a line, more $$$.

If the tree belongs to a neighbor, you can't cut it down without permission. You can only cut whatever crosses your line.

Thank you Diana for the insightful post ! It makes a lot of sense how you've laid things out how the cost can incrementally move upwards to a very costly undertaking. Is this a deal breaker for some of your clients on the buyers side if they love everything else but the big evergreen tree in the backyard that could possibly be a house crusher ?
Do they ever ask for removal making it a deal breaker for the seller ?
Mahalo !

Old 09-28-2019, 04:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have had several removed as have our neighbors here in Sammamish near Seattle. The last that sounds like yours was a bit over $2,000 USD but they were able to drop it top down a little at a time. If it has to be felled across a street then there is additional cost for street use permits and traffic management people.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have had several removed as have our neighbors here in Sammamish near Seattle. The last that sounds like yours was a bit over $2,000 USD but they were able to drop it top down a little at a time. If it has to be felled across a street then there is additional cost for street use permits and traffic management people.

Great information Hemlock140... the cost seems to be manageable and not as expensive as I thought it would be from the experiences those have had who have shared here.

I guess another question might be the "availability" of the contractors who do these type of services. Is it too insignificant of a job, that they do not return calls or overprice their services to make you go away ?

Thank you for sharing your experience !

Old 09-28-2019, 09:13 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
Great information Hemlock140... the cost seems to be manageable and not as expensive as I thought it would be from the experiences those have had who have shared here.

I guess another question might be the "availability" of the contractors who do these type of services. Is it too insignificant of a job, that they do not return calls or overprice their services to make you go away ?

Thank you for sharing your experience !
I had trees removed a couple years ago. Was no problem at all getting a tree service out to do the job. In my case the previous owner had planted a hedge of leyland cypress trees that enclosed the yard in shade and blocked us off from viewing the greenbelt beyond. They were perhaps 25' tall and about 8-10" in diameter and there were about 15 of them. The problem wasn't cutting them down. I could have done that easily. The problem was disposing of all the debris. The tree service brought a big truck with a mulcher and they ground them all up on the spot and hauled the debris away. I think I paid about $1500 but I'm not positive. Took a crew of 4 about 2 hours do do.

This is tree country and there are a lot of companies that do tree service. The Portland companies will also come across the river to work up here so you have choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area