Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 04:12 PM

472 posts, read 530,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

But of course its all relative, right? If used to AZ, FL, TX, CA, HI, etc..., then 40s-50s feels freezing, especially if raining.

Derek
I've been watching the weather in CA/AZ/NV (Las Vegas) as we leave for our trip on Monday. It seems to be colder (mostly night time lows) in all of these places than it is here. Right now Bakersfield is 52deg and Vancouver is 54.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 04:27 PM

17,392 posts, read 12,341,105 times
The southern transplants do stick out like sore thumbs on days like this. See some people out and about in huge winter jackets...while kids are getting off the school bus in shorts.

I was a military brat growing up, so moved all over. But Frankfurt, Germany was my favorite. If we just had some castles around it's pretty similar here. Minus those miserable 90-100 degree days in summer we have.

Lots of places to choose from if you want warmer/drier weather. Stay out of the northern corners But for being above the 45th parallel you can't really ask for better winters. I'll take being outside in January here over Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, northern Maine, etc any day. Jackman, Maine is about the same latitude as here...currently 15 degrees with single digit lows.

Last edited by notnamed; 01-07-2020 at 04:52 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 06:46 PM

1,517 posts, read 996,956 times
Quote:
Just ya know if 40s-50s and rain is miserable for you, you're living in the wrong place. But coming from places that hit -20 in January(Midwest and northeast) this weather is awesome.
I had thought from your "T-shirt and jeans" comment that you were probably from the upper Midwest (probably Minnesota/North Dakota/Wisconsin; that vicinity) where this kind of weather would be like a heat wave this time of year.

I've lived in the Vancouver area my entire life. I will go out on a limb and say this winter's weather is considerably better than others I've seen over the last 20 years or so: has everybody already forgotten the huge ice storm of (IIRC) '03? The floods of '96?

Old 01-07-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I had thought from your "T-shirt and jeans" comment that you were probably from the upper Midwest (probably Minnesota/North Dakota/Wisconsin; that vicinity) where this kind of weather would be like a heat wave this time of year.

I've lived in the Vancouver area my entire life. I will go out on a limb and say this winter's weather is considerably better than others I've seen over the last 20 years or so: has everybody already forgotten the huge ice storm of (IIRC) '03? The floods of '96?
Delaware, New Jersey, Florida, Germany, Virginia, Okinawa, Ohio, here.

Am I wrong in presuming the kids walking around in shorts and t-shirts today in the rain are more representative of the natives than those bundled up in winter jackets?

Old 01-07-2020, 07:37 PM

1,517 posts, read 996,956 times
Personally I think they're more representative of a bloody outdated (and thoroughly uncool) fashion fad of 25 years ago that for whatever reason, refuses to die, than one's origin though nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are Californians. Nobody here did that until maybe the mid-late 90s. I didn't even start seeing it until about partway through junior high school. I think it might have been sort of an outgrowth out of that stupid wearing-your-clothes-backwards fad (thank the rap act "Kris Kross" for that) that came and went a few years earlier.

I mean, yeah, I do wear sandals (Chacos) this time of year when the weather permits, but that's as far as I take it. Long pants (jeans or BDUs) and hoodies otherwise, with a jacket if necessary.

Last edited by Ttark; 01-07-2020 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 07:39 PM

Yeah I'm still stuck in the 90s wearing flannels when chilly myself. But hoodies seem to have displaced that.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:06 PM

5,504 posts, read 7,797,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

Am I wrong in presuming the kids walking around in shorts and t-shirts today in the rain are more representative of the natives than those bundled up in winter jackets?
When I lived in Juneau Alaska I would see kids standing around waiting for the school bus in early spring wearing flip flops and shorts surrounded by 4 ft snow drifts. They would also be out doing skimboarding on the the beach in mid winter in shorts and t-shirts when I was walking the dog in 2 layers of fleece with thermal boots and gloves.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:40 PM

8,224 posts, read 16,752,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
When I lived in Juneau Alaska I would see kids standing around waiting for the school bus in early spring wearing flip flops and shorts surrounded by 4 ft snow drifts. They would also be out doing skimboarding on the the beach in mid winter in shorts and t-shirts when I was walking the dog in 2 layers of fleece with thermal boots and gloves.

When we lived in CO I saw kids in shorts even during the winter, sometimes with snow on the ground.

Just for kicks I checked Juneau's weather and its snowing right now with single digit highs in the next few days. Now that's cold! Although it does get colder. Got a friend who surfed Alaska while station there in the Coast Guard. I can't imagine getting in that water.

Derek

Old 01-07-2020, 10:47 PM

5,504 posts, read 7,797,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

When we lived in CO I saw kids in shorts even during the winter, sometimes with snow on the ground.

Just for kicks I checked Juneau's weather and its snowing right now with single digit highs in the next few days. Now that's cold! Although it does get colder. Got a friend who surfed Alaska while station there in the Coast Guard. I can't imagine getting in that water.

Derek
The surf mecca of Alaska is Yakutat on the Gulf of Alaska. Winter brings the biggest waves. But you have to get past the ice: http://blog.scottdickerson.com/portfolios/surfing/

I used to do a lot of winter scuba diving all over SE Alaska. It's the best time for diving because the water is so much more clear without all the summer algal blooms. Drysuit diving only in the winter. i had a few friends who would use heavy wetsuits in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: