Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 12:24 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times

Advertisements

The weather has been spectacular lately and so after work I headed to the lake. I couldn't believe how warm it was for early spring in the 70s!

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 05:27 AM

220 posts, read 153,894 times
Best weather on the planet from April to September!

Old 04-12-2020, 09:55 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The weather has been spectacular lately and so after work I headed to the lake. I couldn't believe how warm it was for early spring in the 70s!

Derek
Not that unusual. That said some springs could be colder and wetter. It all depends on the year and pattern.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:11 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Great pics. Where is this?

Old 04-16-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Great pics. Where is this?
This is Lacamas Lake in Camas, my favorite local lake. Just went paddling there today, in fact.

Derek

Old 04-18-2020, 01:40 AM

220 posts, read 153,894 times
Just road my bike all the way to lake vancouver from the south east side

Gorgeous ride

Beautiful scenery

wonderful geography in south west washington

Old 04-19-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
Just road my bike all the way to lake vancouver from the south east side

Gorgeous ride

Beautiful scenery

wonderful geography in south west washington
That sounds like quite a ride!

There's some great areas to bike in Washougal as well. Check out this spot along the river where we just got back from. It was incredible out, really green, warm and the water was super glassy. It 2was making me want to grab my paddleboard. Man, do I love spring in the PNW!

Derek

Old 04-26-2020, 06:28 PM

Loving Vancouver in the springtime. We had fun hiking the trails around WSU Vancouver today. What a beautiful campus with views of two big peaks - Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood!! This might be the best view in Vancouver of these peaks. If you drive in the neighborhoods above the campus you can also see Mt. Adams as well. Its super green out with all of the trees showing their new leaves and flowers blooming.

Derek

Old 04-26-2020, 06:41 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
WSU-Vancouver is a hidden gem that has a lot of potential if the state has the money to continue building it after this current financial disaster. It is actually now LARGER than Evergreen State College in Olympia but only gets about 5% of the attention that that school gets. Which I find odd. Most Washingtonians outside of this region probably don't even know it exists.

According to Wikipedia:

WSU-Vancouver enrollment: 3,577
Evergreen enrollment: 2,854

The campus is 351 acres which is larger than the 22,000 student University of Oregon at 295 acres, so they obviously have plenty of room to grow.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
WSU-Vancouver is a hidden gem that has a lot of potential if the state has the money to continue building it after this current financial disaster. It is actually now LARGER than Evergreen State College in Olympia but only gets about 5% of the attention that that school gets. Which I find odd. Most Washingtonians outside of this region probably don't even know it exists.

According to Wikipedia:

WSU-Vancouver enrollment: 3,577
Evergreen enrollment: 2,854

The campus is 351 acres which is larger than the 22,000 student University of Oregon at 295 acres, so they obviously have plenty of room to grow.
Yes, this campus screams potential whenever I visit it. The fact that its connected to Pullman helps as well. I think they are able to live stream certain courses from the main campus if not offered at Vancouver. Their master plan for expansion looks really good. And its not plagued with the same problems as Evergreen which is basically imploding on itself.

While visiting the school in the past, we met with some of their STEM professors and I was very impressed with the current research being conducted. They are part of a Tier 1 research institution, the only one of its kind in Southwest WA. That's also why it attracts students from PDX. Although fewer majors than larger campuses, they do a good job with the areas of specialization they offer such as engineering, nursing, computer science, environmental science, etc...

That said, my son has selected UW for computer science. He likes their smaller satellite campuses and has applied to both Bothell and Tacoma for fall 2020. As for our younger daughters, WSU-V does have some appeal depending on what they decide to major in. That is still very much up in the air.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area