Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 10:32 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,752,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
Check this guy out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Fisher

Almost no one knows he lives here.

He moved his entire company out of california a few years ago. He has an obsession with trees I guess - and what better area then here right?

This guy is one of the richest people in the world. One thing to be a 5 millionaire, 50, or even 100 or 500. But 5 billion is another level.

Vancouver is a city with TRUE diversity. Not that fake diversity where everyone is the same in the same "diverse" way.

You can really run into any kind of person here
Half the people in my neighborhood in Camas work for Fisher Investments. The are building a giant new office building on 20th St next to the two they already have. So yeah, we kind of know he lives here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 10:33 PM

220 posts, read 154,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Half the people in my neighborhood in Camas work for Fisher Investments. The are building a giant new office building on 20th St next to the two they already have. So yeah, we kind of know he lives here.
Hard to hide actions at that scale

Old 05-10-2020, 10:42 PM

449 posts, read 195,307 times
Quote:
The thing you have to understand is that Vancouver is like 4 different countries in one city.

If you go to the river on the south east side it's only multi millionaires and even billionaires (ken fisher in south west camas).

If you go to like hazel dell, then it's a bunch of rednecks and high crime.

So depending on where you are in Vancouver you can have like a totally different experience.

South East Vancouver is one of my favorite cities on earth, but probably wouldn't want to live in other parts
Thank you TheOrca for sharing the information and observations you see in and around the CC, Washington areas... it is very helpful and I know how strongly you feel about the SE Vancouver area and was very specific in another post I've read of the area you consider to be most livable and safe.

Thanks also for the encouragement you give by sharing to bring comfort to our concerns... I truly appreciate it and hopefully get to meet you some day...

Mahalo !

Old 05-10-2020, 10:47 PM

220 posts, read 154,485 times
I wonder if we hosted a city-data meetup o_O

would be interesting once corona is over

Probably would be best in conjuction with an already popular event like cruise the gut or something

Old 05-11-2020, 11:33 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It is remotely possible for slight racial bias in CC WA, but very easy to avoid by picking the correct neighborhoods, businesses, jobs, and schools. (we are happy to assist with that when / if needed).I highly doubt you would ever have an issue, and certainly your rights and safety will be protected by police and local neighbors and friends. PNW is generally very open and accepting and encouraging of others regardless of personal posture.

I have a lot of Asian friends and coworkers living in / near Clark County, WA (since 1980). I have spent nearly 1/4th of that time working in or commuting to Asia, so am somewhat familiar with cultures (since I am a 'foreigner' myself when living in Asia or Europe). We purposely raised our kids with exposure to different cultures, and being seen as 'different' themselves +/-. (They never attended American Schools when we lived overseas, and we stayed in regions where we could live with locals, rather than expats (wealthy whiners)).

When the borders re-open... Vancouver BC is a wonderful place to get more diverse cultures (quick plane trip, or 6 hrs by car or bus, tad longer by train.) Wonderful place to go for long weekends immersed in other cultures 1-2x / yr.

PNW is very handy for Asia flights too! (I go often!) Healthcare, friends, PT jobs, Festivals, weather...
Vancouver BC is nice, but Seattle is even closer and it is very cultural. Just another option.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:48 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Where would you be coming from OP?

Old 05-11-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Where would you be coming from OP?
I think he said they wanted to get out of Hawaii because of the COL.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:05 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,546,929 times
Quote:
Check this guy out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Fisher

Almost no one knows he lives here.
Interesting... Does "Fisher's Landing" in SE Vancouver have anything to do with him, or just a coincidence? I was guessing it had to do with being close to the river and fishing for fish.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:29 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,546,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
....I was wondering what the situation is like in Clark County, Washington.

Being of Asian-American descent and still interested in relocating there in the future, how would I balance this article
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...-week-n1169821
with what might be occurring there in Clark County.
As the saying goes, "mean people suk!"

We moved here 2 days before the offices to get Driver's licenses and Washington plates closed, so we're still driving around with California plates.
In my case it might sound dumb to be paranoid, but I had heard some stories about getting keyed or run off the road!
So far so good though, and now I'm hinting my son and girlfriend move here. She's Filipino and I don't project any problems as long as they don't move to a neighborhood where keying cars and spitting on people is a thing.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Interesting... Does "Fisher's Landing" in SE Vancouver have anything to do with him, or just a coincidence? I was guessing it had to do with being close to the river and fishing for fish.
Nope. Fishers Landing refers to a very old steamboat and ferry landing that was along the Columbia River down about where 164th and Highway 14 are today. For example, this 1896 cycling map of Portland which pre-dates the automobile shows Fisher's Landing: https://vintageportland.files.wordpr..._a2010-015.jpg

Ken Fisher didn't move his company to Camas until the 2007.

Some history:

Quote:
In the late 1800s Fishers Landing was a steamboat landing. In the early 1900s to the late 1960s it was the Washington end of a ferry which went across to Government Island. Today there is a small community park and beach, and not much left of the old ferry landing. Throughout the years the community of Fisher has been known as "Fishers Landing", "Fishers", and "Fishers Wharf", and even at one time "Pumpkin Center".

Fishers Landing was named for Solomon W. Fisher who, in the 1850s, filed a Donation Land Claim on 160 acres on Government Island, and 160 acres on the north side of the Columbia River, 8 miles east of Vancouver, Washington. The settlement of "Fisher" developed, which later became commonly known as "Fishers Landing". Today "Fisher" is still located along the banks of the Columbia River, while the name "Fishers Landing" refers to a high-tech community development located on the hill a few miles above Fisher.

Source: http://columbiariverimages.com/Regio...s_landing.html

Last edited by texasdiver; 05-11-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area