Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 05:55 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,027,424 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 06:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,886,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
May want to move this to the general WA thread. Whatcom is at the Canadian border, Vancouver at the Columbia River/Oregon border.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Wrong Vancouver... it happens. We have had international visitors end up 6 hrs drive away from where they expected to be. Even a USA (HI) based SIL pulled that stunt. (on a very snowy Christmas)

Old 02-19-2021, 01:32 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 333,489 times
Quote:
It'a quiet and calm, near beautiful water including semiahmoo, birch bay, cherry point and the pier area in blaine. Summertime its more busy and lively. Custer itself is a rural area with nothing but it's surrounded by these places and near I-5. Some of the best real estate deals are in Custer. Old country singer loretta lynn starter her career at a bar in Custer.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:33 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,738,699 times
Custer is a TINY town close to the BC border and Bellingham, WA. The town was the epicenter of an oil train derailment and fire on Dec 22nd, 2020, as the BNSF main line runs right through the center of it and also has a "wye" serving two refineries. I suspect due to this, there is some people "getting out" and some real estate "deals" to be had (depending on who's looking at it).

The area was VERY LUCKY that it was crude oil in the 6 tankers headed into the refinery and not propane that was outbound. Otherwise there would have been a massive explosion (or series of them) that would have obliterated the entire town (it's only about 3 square blocks).

Original post and pictures here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ellingham.html

Old 02-19-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzdevil View Post
It'a quiet and calm, near beautiful water including semiahmoo, birch bay, cherry point and the pier area in blaine. Summertime its more busy and lively. Custer itself is a rural area with nothing but it's surrounded by these places and near I-5. Some of the best real estate deals are in Custer. Old country singer loretta lynn starter her career at a bar in Custer.
Yes appears to be very rural. That's why my search for single family homes built between 2010 - 2021 nothing comes up. Maybe I need to search Birch Bay or Bellingham?

Old 02-20-2021, 11:28 PM

There were deals in Custer before the train derailment which was only 2 months ago. It's a good place if you want land and a cheap home or a big home site to build a custom home. Birch bay and bellingham are overpriced in my opinion. I would buy in Birch bay before bellingham though, because the water feels more like a real beach and it's less liberal, more safe and down to earth area. People live there to feel like they're on vacation 365 days a year. If you don't like wearing your mask while exercising, Bellingham probably isn't for you. If you're considering Custer you should consider Ferndale. There are deals that come up in Ferndale and it has a main street area just big enough to not leave town every week, if you're a homebody.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzdevil View Post
There were deals in Custer before the train derailment which was only 2 months ago. It's a good place if you want land and a cheap home or a big home site to build a custom home. Birch bay and bellingham are overpriced in my opinion. I would buy in Birch bay before bellingham though, because the water feels more like a real beach and it's less liberal, more safe and down to earth area. People live there to feel like they're on vacation 365 days a year. If you don't like wearing your mask while exercising, Bellingham probably isn't for you. If you're considering Custer you should consider Ferndale. There are deals that come up in Ferndale and it has a main street area just big enough to not leave town every week, if you're a homebody.
Is Birch Bay the last place in Washington State before you enter Canada? I forgot the name of the town that is.
I won't get any hits in real estate websites hits as the specifications I listed are 3 bd. 2 bath, 2+ attached car garage 2,500+ 1/2 to 1 acre of land, 2010 to 2021. I would probably end up in a subdivision with neighbors within spitting distance living on top of each other with no privacy.

I need privacy, quiet and little to no traffic. If it were at all possible 1/2 miles between neighbors would be ideal.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
There are plenty of places with space on the 'Other Side' of WA, (Blaine to Sumas) opposite side 6 hrs away from Vancouver, WA... (This forum)

Look at Ferndale / Lynden for more listings with rural potential.

But... as always. Find your deals BEFORE they get listed or marketed, as there will be no DEALS once something is advertised to the public.

Just gotta dig and WA GIS has all the info you need to do it during Covid.

Now's the time. I make my offers between now and property tax date (30 April)

February is about right to score the best deal.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Is Birch Bay the last place in Washington State before you enter Canada? I forgot the name of the town that is.
I won't get any hits in real estate websites hits as the specifications I listed are 3 bd. 2 bath, 2+ attached car garage 2,500+ 1/2 to 1 acre of land, 2010 to 2021. I would probably end up in a subdivision with neighbors within spitting distance living on top of each other with no privacy.

I need privacy, quiet and little to no traffic. If it were at all possible 1/2 miles between neighbors would be ideal.
Blaine and Lynden border Canada, both are decent towns. Many old homes don't have 2 bathrooms, maybe 1.5 bathrooms. 2,500+ is also big and the 2 car garage is again not something found everywhere. Garages are a suburban thing you find in developments. The weather up here is surprisingly mild apart from rain.

Most properties also don't have 1/2 an acre, maybe 1/4th acre or 8,000 sq ft. If you want a half mile between neighbors you should look at anywhere between Deming and Sumas (right on the Canada border). Prices are also reasonable there. It's close to Mt Baker, Canada, and within an hour of Bellingham and the waterfront areas of whatcom county. The Nooksack river is good for recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area