Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 05:54 AM

22 posts, read 22,038 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone! I just recently moved from Phoenix to Vancouver, I was just wondering if there are any Mexican grocery stores or taco spots. In Phoenix they were everywhere, I know Vancouver has a bit of Mexicans/Latinos here. Can anyone recommend a place? Thank you! Ps a place to buy carne asada would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 07:42 AM

558 posts, read 279,435 times
https://www.google.com/search?tbs=lf...fi=hd:;si:;mv:[[45.6933784,-122.4626719],[45.5082933,-122.68060699999998]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1! 1m4!1u16!2m2!16m1!1e1!1m4!1u16!2m2!16m1!1e2!2m1!1e 2!2m1!1e16!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

Old 08-15-2021, 10:25 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
The Vancouver area has basically 3 kinds of Mexican restaurants.

1. There are lots of older suburban Mexican restaurants that serve typical bland Americanized TexMex fare with menus that probably haven't been updated in decades. But lots of white folks love that kid of "Mexican" food and frequent those spots for the big bowls of chips and salsa, Mexican beer, and plates of tacos/burritos/enchiladas with lots of rice and beans. The very best of these are probably the ones run by the local Jorge family (Jorge's Tortilla Factory and Jorge's Margarita Factory) if you are seeking traditional TexMex.

2. There are lots of hole-in-the-wall Mexican taco places run by recent immigrants that will give you much more authentic Mexican fare. The epicenter for these places is 4th Plain Boulevard between downtown and Vancouver Mall. A few years ago the Vancouver Columbian did an article about 4th Plain which they called "the taco trail": https://www.columbian.com/news/2017/...in-taco-trail/ A lot of these are pretty nondescript immigrant run places that might look a bit "sketchy" but trust the reviews, some are really good.

3. There are occasional higher-end Mexican restaurants scattered around, mostly run by Anglos that do fancier and more expensive fare. Some examples would be Neustra Mesa in Camas, Little Conejo in downtown Vancouver, and Provecho restaurant in uptown Vancouver.

Of course you have near infinite options should you choose to cross the bridge over to Portland where you can find every flavor of Latin fare, not just Mexican.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:35 PM

472 posts, read 525,989 times
I have struggled to find good Mexican food in the PNW. Recently a friend of mine told me about this place, I tried it and its legit. New favorite burrito joint!

Its attached to a gas station and lots of Latinos eat there so you know it's good!

Tacos Locos

https://yelp.to/wVihIfEsKib

Old 08-15-2021, 12:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
As per OP inquiring of Mex Groc / taco stands....

Yes,. Usually best to DIY / make your own, or find an authentic taco stand (not likely in a commercial establishment). Many of my ESL business clients are doing fine at their small obscure locations (all they can afford, all the business they need or can meet the service requirements). Not so different than in Phoenix / Tucson. Just gotta go dig those places up.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:51 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
I have struggled to find good Mexican food in the PNW. Recently a friend of mine told me about this place, I tried it and its legit. New favorite burrito joint!

Its attached to a gas station and lots of Latinos eat there so you know it's good!

Tacos Locos

https://yelp.to/wVihIfEsKib
Ton's of great Mexican food in the Northwest! Albeit you may have to look around a bit to find the best spots. If you are ever out east passing through Yakima or the Tri-Cities definitely stop through and get some food.

OP, if you don't mind going into Portland, Tehuana Oaxacan Cuisine has the best street Tacos in the area! They have one truck off Killingsworth and another in Nob Hill. If crossing the bridge is too much of a hurdle I do like Little Conejo. Quality food with housemade tortilla's and great drinks!

Old 08-17-2021, 08:28 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Don Taco on 4th plain, Mexican locals eat here and it's reasonable prices and good quality make it a bit of a gem in a town that doesn't have a lot of great Mexican cuisine.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:44 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
We moved back here a few years ago after a decade in Texas.

Literally 50-75% of the restaurants in the Waco area fell into four types:

Mexican/TexMex
BBQ
Fried Chicken/Chicken tenders/sandwiches
Burgers & American fare (chicken fried steaks, country fare etc.)

Eclectic food was stuff like fried catfish with hushpuppies and greens. Asian food if you could find it tended to be suburban Chinese buffets where you could get all-you-can-eat piles of sweet and sour pork or Mongolian beef along with frozen spring rolls. There was one Thai and one Vietnamese restaurant in the entire greater Waco area which has a population similar to Vancouver. Oh but they did have about 50 donut places! I had a 1-mile drive to work down a main drag similar to Mill Plain. There were 6 fried chicken places along that stretch, most of them regional chains.

The difference between Texas and here is that we have traded 90% of the fried chicken, BBQ, and TexMex places for Asian fare (Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese Pho, Indian, etc.) I will take that trade any day of the week plus Sunday.

I will say that I do miss the truly great family style Mexican chains they have in Texas. I think the fierce competition has really elevated their game compared to what you have here. But I wouldn't trade our infinitely superior Asian options for a little bit better fajitas.

Oh, and if you want to take an adventure to find some truly good and interesting Latin fare, drive down I-205 to the the Portland Mercado which is a food pod on 72nd and Foster dedicated to Latin cuisine. It is a collection of food carts and permanent booths with every kind of Latin fare from Argentine empanadas to Cuban Arroz y Frijoles to regional Mexican, Central American, Colombian and Peruvian places. All clustered around nice outdoor and indoor dining spaces. https://www.portlandmercado.org/ I would very much LOVE to see the city of Vancouver do something similar along 4th Plain to help foster local Latin businesses there. It would be the perfect location for something similar

Last edited by texasdiver; 08-17-2021 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-26-2021, 10:59 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times
A local directed us to Taqueria Market on Forth Plain. As someone from Southern California addicted to Mexican food, I was pretty impressed. It's a market that has a little restaurant inside. Mmmmm! I want right now!

https://www.restaurantji.com/wa/vanc...portland-llc-/

Old 12-01-2021, 05:38 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Cant wait to try that Portland Mercado. All our years in the southwest we will need some great Latin foods on occasion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area