Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,537 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and changing PCPs. I am searching for PCPs affiliated with a reputable hospital. Imagine my horror when I Yelp the two hospitals in the area and find the worst reviews ever on Yelp.
One hospital had an average of 3 stars and the other 2. Most reviews had only 1 star!!! Anyone on the forum with first-hand knowledge of either hospital??

https://www.yelp.com/biz/peacehealth...er-vancouver-2
https://www.yelp.com/biz/legacy-salm...er-vancouver-3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 01:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Our first hand knowledge is to NOT use a Vancouver hospital (during our last 39 yrs here).
We have a good airport nearby... For many yrs we have had to go overseas for a high quality hospital that we can access and afford. https://www.patientsbeyondborders.com/

Some people using SWWA medical services survive and do fine.

Vancouver hospitals took a serious dive when bought out by Peace Health.
Many medical centers across USA have faced the same or worse fate since A(?)CA.

It is very common in small regions adjoining metro areas with high level of care / university hospitals to have a lesser measure of quality. (in comparision to thier neighbors (who often attract the best / most demanding caregivers).

Old 10-13-2021, 09:17 AM

5,642 posts, read 24,983,570 times
I have had very good experiences with Legacy Salmon Creek. I was used to Dallas, TX facilities but in 14 years here I have not been disappointed.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:49 AM

Thanks Stealth. I am forewarned. Was it you who posted the link for an airlift service on a similar topic some time ago? Very interesting. May have to seriously consider it.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have had very good experiences with Legacy Salmon Creek. I was used to Dallas, TX facilities but in 14 years here I have not been disappointed.
Thanks CDELENA
I am leaning towards LSC but going to research the Kaiser facilities out here and see if they have a hospital/medical center. Back in LA, I wouldn't consider it, but looks like I may have to.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:32 PM

209 posts, read 147,815 times
I had a relatively recent birthing experience at Legacy Salmon Creek and was extremely impressed with the service from everyone, and the facilities. I also got my covid vaccine there, and that was quick and easy too.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:11 PM

467 posts, read 528,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddlepush21 View Post
Thanks CDELENA
I am leaning towards LSC but going to research the Kaiser facilities out here and see if they have a hospital/medical center. Back in LA, I wouldn't consider it, but looks like I may have to.
Kaiser has several medical centers in Vancouver. We have been Kaiser members for 5 years and are very happy with the treatment we have received. If a situation needing hospitalization occurs, Kaiser sends us to Sunnyside or Hillsboro. My husband has has some treatments and surgeries that have been taken care of in the Portland area. I think Kaiser contracts with Legacy for Births.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:38 AM

5,490 posts, read 7,779,933 times
There are two hospitals in Vancouver but a whole bunch right across the river in Portland.

Peace Health is the big one on Mill Plain. They are part of a big Pacific Northwest Catholic hospital chain that owns various other hospitals in the region from Sacred Heart in Eugene to St. Joseph in Bellingham and various smaller hospitals in smaller towns. The Vancouver hospital is their flagship. They have had labor strife and staffing issues in the past decade or two. I'm sure you can dig up a lot of old news stories if you google. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeaceHealth

Legacy Salmon Creek is part of a Portland-based chain of hospitals https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_Health including Good Samaritan and Emmanuel in Portland, two of the most reputable hospitals in the region. Emmanuel is the top trauma center.

Just based on the local and regional reputation of the two different chains, I would think that Legacy has the better reputation and also isn't hamstrung by medieval Catholic "sensibilities". I don't have any first-hand experience with either one but my wife is a physician and she prefers Legacy.

But if you want to cross the river you have lots of other options. Providence is the biggest hospital system in Portland. It is also Catholic but they have clinics in Vancouver as well. We are with Kaiser Permanente and I recently had heart surgery at the Kaiser Sunnyside Hospital just across the 205 bridge in Clackamas. It was a good experience as far as surgeries go and I was impressed with the care I got there. The hospital isn't much to look at from the outside but I was impressed with their heart center. Kaiser has three large clinics in the Vancouver area and they admit to both Vancouver hospitals if there is an emergency that prevents you getting to one of the two Portland area Kaiser hospitals. It is your only choice if you want an HMO. All the other hospitals and clinic chains in the region are PPO.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,219,184 times
OP, I would not respond with horror* to Vancouver SW hospital ratings
Choose the best PCP provider, access, and location for you.

Either hospital (or others in Portland metro) will suffice.
Legacy Vancouver is a contract partner hospital with Kaiser, but each time Kaiser has sent us there...They (Kaiser / Legacy) have transferred us to a Kaiser Portland area facility BEFORE being admitted. (for a mere $800- $1000, which would have bought us a lot of gas and saved a few hours to instead be referred the the correct Portland Kaiser facility, which is same distance or closer to us than Legacy). I often go ahead and drive to Kaiser Portland for hospital needs, but if I become a patient or even outpatient... they never let me drive home, so I have to become 'Stealth' to get out of there!.

I keep Air Evac lifetime service contracts with different agencies serving my main USA locations, and I buy Travel Evac medical insurance when overseas. (hopefully they don't send me back to USA!!! if there are better medical facilities closer, very likely MUCH better.)

Air Evac membership / insurance is of very minimal assurance, as the EMS will evaluate and ONLY recommend Air Evac if absolutely necessary for your LIFE and will not jeopardize a more critical response need elsewhere (yet unknown). (I.e. it is not YOUR choice to request Air Evac, even if you subscribe to services)

*Horrors...
I have been in situations with very POOR hospitals (not speaking their language and being FAR from home, not using Patients beyond Borders ). 4 coworkers have died from results of hospital stays while we were working / serving international, but more died from Accidents / lack of EMS availability and urgent care. Not something likely to happen in Vancouver, but possible if rural (warring EMS services with defined service boundaries and cannot cross without a specific request from Incident Commander), this is especially risky on the wrong side of a county line, where your defined EMS may be 2-3x as far away. Your neighborhood EMS (from a different service district) cannot respond until you are evaluated and the designated agency requests additional services. *Horrors, you many die waiting... (We do senior care near county border, so have seen it happen a few times).

You should be in good shape utlizing medical care facilities available to you in SWWA.
From VA to OHSU, to very small private hospitals we have used them all with our senior care volunteering.

If I had a choice for routine hospitalization / care... It would be Adventist Medical. (NE Portland).
The 'patient care' difference is quite obvious, and staff has been very helpful, beyond direct medical needs. Adventist also has 'aging-in-place' / LT rehab center on campus. It also sponsors many wellness programs (most available to the public for a small fee). If you find a neighbor / friend in need of routine wellness / life skills / specialty health training / or rehab, send them to Adventist as an option ! (If they are in crisis... don't leave them, find and deliver them to appropriate emergency care, wherever available).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-14-2021 at 04:26 AM..

Old 10-16-2021, 08:11 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,805,397 times
As a former heart attack patient with no insurance, I was taken to LSC they saved me, the bill was $42K but since I was unemployed, they zeroed it out.

I have heard SWMC will hound you on $500

OHSU is a teaching hospital (from what I've heard) and are endowed quite well. And so do lots of charity work

Kaiser....Well, I'm not on good terms. In 2005 I went to see a hernia doctor, he said "if it isn't bothering you, then why bother?" Years later it does, thanks you lazy bastard .

I had peace health replace my hip. Then the next employer had me go back with kaiser. You're supposed to save money by having the prescriptions mailed.

Problem is, you don't get a price estimate for mailing....and so I did a one time mailing and then pickup. Same price, plus 24 hours after ordering, you get a message from them saying its all ready.

Lies, I've gone there to find that one was done, so they did the other five then. Walmart gets it done in 24 hours.

Last edited by Disgustedman; 10-16-2021 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area