Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM

44 posts, read 187,896 times

Advertisements

Our families have lived here for 6 generations and it is a great place to live. There are many beautiful areas here and where you want to live is really based on your needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 PM

18 posts, read 82,960 times
Default It's not conservative Christains...

As for Vancouver, I think you will get mixed reactions. Some will be very accepting. But there are groups/clusters of conservative Christians who disapprove.[/quote]

The disapproving ones tend to be uneducated redneck types, especially those from less populated areas...not Christains who are conservative.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM

336 posts, read 864,351 times
Hey been awhile since this thread was opened. Yaani do you still plan to move to vancouver and we do you plan to get here. It is wonderful here and you and your husband will do just fine here.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Vancouver is solidly middle class, from lower middle class to upper middle class (with pockets of flat-out poor and incredibly wealthy), and I think most acceptance is based on how well someone fits into the class structure of the neighborhoods. My son went to Evergreen High School, and the racial tension lines that he saw involved Russian immigrants vs the more "redneck" anti-immigrant groups.

From the point of view of the white majority, there is very little racial tension in the area, mostly because whites are such a majority. Pretty sure if you ask someone who is black or a recent immigrant from Mexico or Russia, you'd get a different answer, but the difference is really lack of institutionalized racism versus individualized racism. If you have dark skin, you are just unusual, not necessarily immediately hated/feared whatever.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 PM

56 posts, read 294,727 times
last time i checked Russians were white. so how can there be racial tensions between Russians and local rednecks?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:51 PM

39 posts, read 254,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOCMOC View Post
last time i checked Russians were white. so how can there be racial tensions between Russians and local rednecks?
yea, really, how is that possible? Or is it because they're immigrants?

Old 08-03-2008, 02:59 AM

642 posts, read 2,552,367 times
The Russian Immigrants are a big issue. We had Romanians (Wonderful) and all types of Russian. It is absolutely a culture thing and a drain on the economy thing.

I would stay on the SouthEast side of town and you will be fine. The far NE area going to Hockinson and of course Battleground is much less tolerant. We were there and had problems. Interestingly though we had 2 families on our block (at different times) who were African American and the reverse was felt. One family seemed like they hated every one for being white and the other looked to be angry with us/on the defense of who knows what. These families were WAY more accepted as minoirty then we were as one of the single parent house holds so I think you are ahead of the game there.
Fitting in with your neighborhood is a must there... the post saying that is very correct. My child (a minority) attended a rural school in NE and did not feel comfortable. The kids said hateful things. There was a couple African American kids in the school and they looked miserable ... just uncomfortable. When she went to West side school she felt more comfortable because of the diversity.

Last edited by coltoncity; 08-03-2008 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: darned spelling

Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 PM

12 posts, read 61,073 times
What is it like for a single black woman, such as jobs, I most likely be working in the

service industry, like in-home care. how far is it to vancouver canada!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:34 PM

336 posts, read 864,351 times
If you are wanting to go from vancouver washington to vancouver canada I believe it is around a 5 hour drive so aprox 300 or more miles give or take. You would be fine as a single woman here and there are alot of job openings for in-home care workers.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM

56 posts, read 294,727 times
<The Russian Immigrants are a big issue. We had Romanians (Wonderful) and all types of Russian. It is absolutely a culture thing and a drain on the economy thing.>

Culture thing in what way? Please define a 'big issue'. Are they trying to turn Vancouver in Moscow? I don't get it.
Why are they a drag on the economy? They are not working and sitting on the welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area