Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2022, 10:56 AM

10 posts, read 12,305 times

Advertisements

wife and i have been tossing around the idea of moving back to the Portland, Or. area for quite some time, but never pulled the trigger because the cost of living on the east coast vs. the west coast was too great. My wife is now facing a situation where we might be forced to move for her job in the next couple weeks. (I know .. fast right!)

She will be working on Swan Island area, so we are thinking Vancouver would be best since its the northern part of Portland. We would like to know what areas like "Hollywood" are out there. We would want to be centrally located in an area with good restaurants/bars/brewery/shopping without having to venture into the Portland city proper. Also areas to stay out of would be a great help to. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 07:47 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
The only two places in the greater Vancouver area that would meet your requirements would be: (1) uptown Vancouver (the area just a few blocks north of downtown Vancouver centered on Main St and (2) downtown Camas. They both have their pros and cons.

Uptown Vancouver will be a lot closer to Swan Island. Quite close actually. And because you are adjacent to downtown Vancouver you'll have access to a fast-growing and increasingly vibrant urban area.

Downtown Camas has more of a small town feel but has its own upscale appeal. Lots of shops and restaurants and brewpubs. It is dominated by the papermill on the edge of downtown that is in it's last days or years. Thoughts are that the mill area will eventually be redeveloped into a waterfront area but that is probably a decade or decades away. Living in Camas will add about 10-15 min to your daily commute to Swan Island compared to uptown Vancouver.

Both have nice libraries, weekly farmers markets, and other amenities. Downtown Camas actually has a grocery store and hardware store which are both lacking in downtown/uptown Vancouver. So it is actually more self-sufficient as a place to live but doesn't have nearly the variety of restaurants and other destinations as uptown/downtown Vancouver. But you have lots of other nearby options in East Vancouver.

There are plenty of other areas to live in the greater Vancouver area and you'll find little pockets of neighborhoods that have appeal. But it is mostly more suburban and car-centric. Those are the two spots that are going to have the highest density of what you are looking for, and the only two that are reasonably walkable.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbrewer View Post
wife and i have been tossing around the idea of moving back to the Portland, Or. area for quite some time, but never pulled the trigger because the cost of living on the east coast vs. the west coast was too great. My wife is now facing a situation where we might be forced to move for her job in the next couple weeks. (I know .. fast right!)

She will be working on Swan Island area,...We would want to be centrally located in an area with good restaurants/bars/brewery/shopping without having to venture into the Portland city proper....
If working on Swan Island, and desiring 'walkable'... I would consider living near UP campus, and St Johns area.
Also North Mississippi has some upcoming commerce and apartments.

NE Prescott, Alameda, Concordia district / Kennedy School

If you have a financial need / incentive for living in WA (If significantly higher paid partner is employable in WA...) I would work out a 'hybrid' situation (rent a room near swan island in a home of elderly / seniors who travel or snowbird, join up a couple times / week and weekends and traveling in a WA home, and / or on trips.

As mentioned, Vancouver only has a couple 'walkable' areas.

Lower downtown (south of Mill Plain)

Upper downtown (near 4th Plain) (Walkable between the two)

Some areas on east Mill Plain (near Chkalov or 134th and a few spots on 164th (Ave)) would be walkable, but more suburban / strip malls, not trendy choices of venues).
My preference would be to get on the wait list for Vancouver National Trust properties. Groceries will be a challenge, but possible.

Make it easy on the commuter, spend less time on the road / bus and more good times together.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,245 times
In Uptown, New Seasons grocery store is planned for opening in the third quarter of 2023. On my way quick market and bakery is open https://www.omwuptownmarket.com/home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area