Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,788 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Vancouver area in about six months from NYC. I am looking for a neighborhood that is fun. I would like to be able to walk to shops, bars and other locations. My boyfriend and I have no children so would like an area where other young professionals hang out and there is alot to do. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:07 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Are you sure you want to move to Vancouver? Have you ever been there?

I wouldn't really classify Vancouver as walkable, but I guess DT Vancouver could fit in. It is definitely a car town where you would need a car to get around. You could use the Max light rail that would take you to Portland; but Vancouver metro system is a bit screwy. Vancouver is essentially a Portland suburb, so it's not really fun. It closes down around 9:30 and becomes a dead town, but OFC you still have some bars open.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:06 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,941 times
Move to Portland. I'm married with kids so suburbia is great for us but we lived in NYC for years and you're going to be sorely disappointed if you move to this side of the river.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
CPF

45 posts, read 194,965 times
Check out walkscore.com for a great resource on walkability. Vancouver ranks pretty low, and having grown up there I can tell you that sidewalks are not a priority and there are parts of town you flat out cannot walk to.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 AM

32 posts, read 97,718 times
There is in fact one walkable area of "the couv" and this is the area around esther short park (ESP). The area was developed several years ago and, IMO, is one of the best new urbanist areas in the entire pdx metro region. That said it is a far cry from NYC. ESP is more like an island in a sea of what the others have described as suburbia. There is pretty decent transit service (bus) into pdx and throughout metro region (malls, Comm. Colleges, etc).

What I will say is that if you haven't been to the couv, check it out first before committing to anything. And BTW, are you sure you're not looking for Vancouver BC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area