Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:00 AM

42 posts, read 58,482 times

Advertisements

I will be looking to move to Vancouver in the next 6 to 12 months.

Background - I am a British Citizen and have lived in Hong Kong for the past 10 years. I will be relocating with my wife and two Children (all three of them have Canadian passports)

Visa wise I'm OK, we're currently go through the process of spousal sponsorship but in the meantime I have started to see what's out there in case I can get a sponsored work visa in the meantime.

I'm currently earning a base of around CAD 190k but I've been told that I might only be able to get a salary of around CAD 120k to CAD 150k

I'd like to know how comfortable a living we can have on CAD 150k per annum. I know I'll be saving money in some areas such as healthcare, buying a car and schooling. however, I don't want to make a move for less money and find that our quality of life has gone down.

I don't want to give the impression that I think CAD 150k is nothing, I know it's much more many earn but I wanted a reality check rather than people commenting that I should be grateful.

If you need more information I'd be happy to share.

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
I have to wonder out loud what you do for 190,000 Canadian dollars and probably taxed a lot lower in HK?? Remember we don't MAKE anything in BC. Those numbers are for tenured Govt. employees and a few real estate (established) brokers.!!

Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 PM

I work in a field related to financial services and yes I do get taxed less and I also get a bonus on top of this.

So I can assume from your comment that CAD 150k is going to be fine seeing as how no one in Vancouver makes any money but yet there's still over 2 million people there.

I'm feeling a lot happier now about the salary.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:03 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I question why you would want to leave HK if you are making more money and paying less taxes to boot. 150K is more than adequate for Vancouver but compared to HK you will be bored to tears. I spent some time in HK and it's a far more dynamic and interesting city with a much better climate IMO.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:12 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtovanfromhk View Post
I will be looking to move to Vancouver in the next 6 to 12 months.

Background - I am a British Citizen and have lived in Hong Kong for the past 10 years. I will be relocating with my wife and two Children (all three of them have Canadian passports)

Visa wise I'm OK, we're currently go through the process of spousal sponsorship but in the meantime I have started to see what's out there in case I can get a sponsored work visa in the meantime.

I'm currently earning a base of around CAD 190k but I've been told that I might only be able to get a salary of around CAD 120k to CAD 150k

I'd like to know how comfortable a living we can have on CAD 150k per annum. I know I'll be saving money in some areas such as healthcare, buying a car and schooling. however, I don't want to make a move for less money and find that our quality of life has gone down.

I don't want to give the impression that I think CAD 150k is nothing, I know it's much more many earn but I wanted a reality check rather than people commenting that I should be grateful.

If you need more information I'd be happy to share.

Thanks in Advance

Be careful...."what you been told" is one thing, getting a job offer, especially without the infamous "Canadian working experience" it's another story.

I would not move without a solid job offer if I were you, Vancouver job market is VERY tough and generally low paying for professionals.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:13 PM

I appreciate that and if I was basing my decision purely on tax and money I'd stay out or move to UAE or Qatar and pay no tax at all.

Believe me after 10 years of being in one of the fastest paced environments I need a change. If I was 26 I'd be staying here but I'm not I'm 36 with a wife and 2 kids and we want some space now.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtovanfromhk View Post
I appreciate that and if I was basing my decision purely on tax and money I'd stay out or move to UAE or Qatar and pay no tax at all.

Believe me after 10 years of being in one of the fastest paced environments I need a change. If I was 26 I'd be staying here but I'm not I'm 36 with a wife and 2 kids and we want some space now.
For a motivated, ambitious professional I would pick UAE or Qatar in a heartbeat over Vancouver for many reasons...not even a context.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Be careful...."what you been told" is one thing, getting a job offer, especially without the infamous "Canadian working experience" it's another story.

I would not move without a solid job offer if I were you, Vancouver job market is VERY tough and generally low paying for professionals.
Thanks for the feedback I completely appreciate what you're saying - we do the same in Hong Kong!

the plan is to wait for my PR first and in the meantime see what's out there for me.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
For a motivated, ambitious professional I would pick UAE or Qatar in a heartbeat over Vancouver for many reasons...not even a context.
Good for you! However, UAE and Qatar not for me.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:33 PM

So aside from whether I should actually move to Vancouver. Will 150k be enough for a family of 4 to live comfortably on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver