Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 AM

525 posts, read 454,012 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

I'm visiting Vancouver this summer for a week and I'm not sure what to expect. I've never even been to the west coast. All I know about Vancouver is that it's really expensive, ha ha! Will it be hot and/or rainy? Is it crowded? Is it dirty? How dangerous is it? Do the people tend to be rude?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 09:35 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Hi, everyone!

I'm visiting Vancouver this summer for a week and I'm not sure what to expect. I've never even been to the west coast. All I know about Vancouver is that it's really expensive, ha ha! Will it be hot and/or rainy? Is it crowded? Is it dirty? How dangerous is it? Do the people tend to be rude?

Thank you in advance!
Watch these 2 lovely videos that Natnasci provided on the Toronto section of the forum of all places to give you an idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJyNqLX374A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qy7G_kobfg

Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Watch these 2 lovely videos that Natnasci provided on the Toronto section of the forum of all places to give you an idea
Yes its purdy. No we won't be moving lol

Old 04-30-2016, 11:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Hi, everyone!

Thank you in advance!
The summer in Vancouver is typically the dry season, so don't expect too much rain, but it does happen. Temperatures range from the low 20's up to 30 degrees celsius, but it typically doesn't get as hot or muggy as a place like Pennsylvania in the summer. Vancouver is densely settled for a Western North American city, especially the suburbs and outlying areas, but I wouldn't say it feels crowded, and it is quite clean. The east side of downtown is the main area in the city where there are services and housing for the impoverished and mentally ill, but even there is not considered particularly dangerous, although many tourists feel uncomfortable there. It is sandwiched between Gastown and Chinatown, two big tourist draws, but you can walk through the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood and you will not be in danger, just maintain normal vigilance. The rest of the city is quite prosperous and safe. People in Vancouver are very polite, not rude at all, but are also not quite as outgoing as Americans in my experience. What sort of things are you interested in doing here?

Last edited by BIMBAM; 04-30-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-30-2016, 12:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
When in the summer? Hotels book up, some are already full even for the end of May. If you haven't booked get on it.

Stay downtown. Downtown is walkable and very residential, full of restaurants, parks, beaches, etc.

If you have questions about hotels or area you've chosen, just ask.

Things you may or may not know. Busy times are Canada Day, July 1st, BC Day August 1st. The Sunday before BC Day which is on a Monday is also the PRIDE parade. Parts of downtown get very busy with 100's of thousands of people.

If you are here for this event, it's a lot of fun.

Honda Celebration of Light

As for expensive? Well the USD is wort a bit more currently so you will have that advantage. Real estate is expensive, but you'll find restaurants to be much the same.

If you don't know much about Vancouver, why did you decide to come, without at least knowing whether it's safe for not?
Note, Canadian cities are safer than most.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJyNqLX374A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qy7G_kobfg
LOL, ya I'm easily sidetracked sometimes

Old 04-30-2016, 12:31 PM

525 posts, read 454,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When in the summer? Hotels book up, some are already full even for the end of May. If you haven't booked get on it.

Stay downtown. Downtown is walkable and very residential, full of restaurants, parks, beaches, etc.

If you have questions about hotels or area you've chosen, just ask.

Things you may or may not know. Busy times are Canada Day, July 1st, BC Day August 1st. The Sunday before BC Day which is on a Monday is also the PRIDE parade. Parts of downtown get very busy with 100's of thousands of people.

If you are here for this event, it's a lot of fun.

Honda Celebration of Light

As for expensive? Well the USD is wort a bit more currently so you will have that advantage. Real estate is expensive, but you'll find restaurants to be much the same.

If you don't know much about Vancouver, why did you decide to come, without at least knowing whether it's safe for not?
Note, Canadian cities are safer than most.
I didn't choose to go to Vancouver specifically. It's for an academic program, so I'll be on UBC's campus most of the time, although there will be some time to explore the city.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I didn't choose to go to Vancouver specifically. It's for an academic program, so I'll be on UBC's campus most of the time, although there will be some time to explore the city.
I see! UBC is a lovely campus and has good bus service to downtown. Not sure if you know, but the beach around the whole campus is a nudist beach. So if that is NOT your thing, avoid it.

Spanish Banks beach is where you can go to relax.

Do you bike ride?

What month are you here?

Old 04-30-2016, 07:15 PM

Halcyon18,

Came across this cute couple and their holiday video of Vancouver and Tofino on Vancouver Island. They capture a bit of the
flavour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYF7vuUUFtg

Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,731 times
Oh geez...hey Halcyon 18...you still there? OMG, s/he's coming to Van and no one's told her the tru...hey! Halcyon! Hold it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver