Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 02:36 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times

Advertisements

I make it with extra or super firm tofu, avocados (or pre made guac) and a drop of canola oil. I just spice it the way I like. For extra texture and taste I sometimes add a little relish and raw sunflower seeds, hot mustard or sriracha. TBH, I always top mine with sriracha because I am addicted to that stuff lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
You could substitute chickpeas instead of tofu, if you rather avoid soy products.

Best Chickpea 'Egg' Salad Sandwich
https://simple-veganista.com/mashed-...salad-sandwic/
How did it taste? I love garbanzo but wonder if it ends up just a hummus from reading the recipe?

Old 06-11-2022, 09:59 AM

63 posts, read 24,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Eh. I did not grow up vegan or vegetarian, then was vegan for eight years, and now back to not being vegan. I have never had a vegan 'egg' salad that tastes anything like the real thing. Adding black salt, as mentioned above, is a key to getting the sulphur taste/smell/experience from eggs, but even then it is not the same. To add, store bought vegan mayo runs between 'this is worse than Miracle Whip!' to 'not mayo, but not bad'. Homemade vegan mayo can be pretty good, depending on recipe.

The real trick is to not try to capture the same experience when preparing vegan or vegetarian meals. We say vegan egg salad, and we expect something close. We say egg-less salad and go into it with less expectations and with an understanding it is not going to be the real deal. Obviously, things need to be descriptive and most of this is about comfort foods, anyways.

To the OP: There are a 1000 + 1 recipes online for vegan alternatives to egg salad. Some are better than most, but in truth you'll have to try a few (or a bunch) of recipes until you find one that works for you.
Yea, getting nitpicky over naming conventions will always be a part of vegan foods. To say something is "virtually indistinguishable" was never meant to imply that it's identical, only that it gets "close enough" with "close enough" meaning that how close or not it is, is up to the individual. If I want the sulfur experience, I use eggs. If I don't care one way or the other, and I just so happen to have tofu sitting in the freezer, than tofu it is.

When I make vegan ribs, am I implying that it's just like animal ribs? Nope. Again, naming conventions. I could call it "seasoned wheat gluten cake strips with bbq sauce" which is true but that doesn't capture the vibe. It doesn't sound gross to me but it might to others but that's besides the point. The point is, naming a vegan dish after something that isn't vegan at all isn't meant to say you'll never know the difference, it's just an attempt to paint a picture of familiarity.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:11 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I had a Dean's Natural Foods near me, a chain that I think has now gone out of business, and they had an almost-decent tofu "egg" salad. It was a bit too bland for me, but I'd add smoked salt and fresh ground pepper to liven it up. Was an easy, quick lunch, though.

I miss having tofu. I am not currently in a household that would consider eating it, and I tend to not buy or cook things that only I would eat, but maybe it's time to get some. I made a decent kung pao tofu when I was alone.

Old 06-12-2022, 05:17 PM

524 posts, read 245,129 times
If you use the Japanese extra firm tofu that comes in shelf-stable package, the texture and neutral flavor is very similar to egg whites.

Old 06-17-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a Dean's Natural Foods near me, a chain that I think has now gone out of business, and they had an almost-decent tofu "egg" salad. It was a bit too bland for me, but I'd add smoked salt and fresh ground pepper to liven it up. Was an easy, quick lunch, though.

I miss having tofu. I am not currently in a household that would consider eating it, and I tend to not buy or cook things that only I would eat, but maybe it's time to get some. I made a decent kung pao tofu when I was alone.
Yes it's time to get some! Yum! How do you make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
If you use the Japanese extra firm tofu that comes in shelf-stable package, the texture and neutral flavor is very similar to egg whites.
Omg Thanks for posting that! I remember that kind now but I haven't even looked for it in years because there are so many other fresh choices available now. I stock and freeze but the shelf version would be great for moto camping!

Old 06-17-2022, 04:58 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Yes it's time to get some! Yum! How do you make it?

Omg Thanks for posting that! I remember that kind now but I haven't even looked for it in years because there are so many other fresh choices available now. I stock and freeze but the shelf version would be great for moto camping!
I buy firm tofu and then drain it by putting it on a plate and putting another plate on top and something heavy on top of that (a big book, lol). Then I heat peanut oil, cut the tofu into strips, and stir fry it with onions, peanuts, and those dried hot peppers. Add some soy sauce to taste, and add some sesame oil if I have it.

My daughter (who speaks Mandarin and has lived in China) tells me that kung pao means "exploding house" and that authentic kung pao has cucumber stir-fried into it, but I have never added cucumber. Cooked cuke seems weird.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:12 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Medium firm tofu seems to be the most accurate to eggs for me. I also use a bit of avocado to sub for the richness (and nutrients) of the yolks. It can turn it a slightly greenish color. If that’s off-putting, you can counter balance with nutritional yeast and turmeric - just a bit of turmeric though unless you want a turmeric taste. Personally I don’t think that taste belongs in an egg salad, but a sprinkle of it you will not taste. Nutritional yeast adds a nice depth of flavor and nutritional content as well and i even put it in regular egg salad. Black salt to replicate the sulfuric aspect of eggs. My favorite vegan mayo is Just Mayo.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I buy firm tofu and then drain it by putting it on a plate and putting another plate on top and something heavy on top of that (a big book, lol). Then I heat peanut oil, cut the tofu into strips, and stir fry it with onions, peanuts, and those dried hot peppers. Add some soy sauce to taste, and add some sesame oil if I have it.

My daughter (who speaks Mandarin and has lived in China) tells me that kung pao means "exploding house" and that authentic kung pao has cucumber stir-fried into it, but I have never added cucumber. Cooked cuke seems weird.
Thanks! I don't eat peanut or sesame but use sunflower instead. I am going to try it to make it soon. I do cook cukes. They just taste like a more mild version of zucchini.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:58 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I make a mashed chickpea salad that is similar to egg salad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food