Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 AM

464 posts, read 1,361,348 times

Advertisements

Last night I Moderator cut: saw a video about not eating meat. I was going to skip it, but then I was just curious to see what it's like. I thought I would get over it, but the morning after I felt dreadful and didnt even eat today!

Now Im thinking about becoming a vegan, but sticking to seafood. My concern however is that many vegan foods like salads, fruits (especially raw) causes an allergic reaction in my mouth to the point I cannot even eat anymore. This happens all the time.

Im also concerned about loosing weight, as I've started a new strength training program, and I hear alot about new vegans becoming bone-skinny. My trainer suggests lots of meaty protiens. If I veg out now, I may not only NOT gain weight, but lose even more! Has anyone lost weight by vegging out?

Last edited by Beretta; 09-10-2008 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: see DM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:01 PM

331 posts, read 1,198,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Last night I Moderator cut: saw a video about not eating meat. I was going to skip it, but then I was just curious to see what it's like. I thought I would get over it, but the morning after I felt dreadful and didnt even eat today!

Now Im thinking about becoming a vegan, but sticking to seafood. My concern however is that many vegan foods like salads, fruits (especially raw) causes an allergic reaction in my mouth to the point I cannot even eat anymore. This happens all the time.

Im also concerned about loosing weight, as I've started a new strength training program, and I hear alot about new vegans becoming bone-skinny. My trainer suggests lots of meaty protiens. If I veg out now, I may not only NOT gain weight, but lose even more! Has anyone lost weight by vegging out?
When I went totally vegan many moons ago, I lost a lot of weight (didn't have that much to lose). I still think about it now but I am researching the proper way to do it because I didn't do it right. It's best to make an educated decision before you venture out there.

I get an allergic reaction to oranges and orange juice sometimes. I don't know why and I love orange juice!!

Old 09-13-2008, 03:09 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,466 times
No problem, most people in transition still eat fish and give it up last (unless going vegan and then cheese seems to be the last holdout).

You'll probably lose body fat but will only lose muscle if you get insufficient protein and don't get sufficient carbs to power your workout, forcing your body to convert protein into carbs. There is a big difference bwteeen a junk food vegetarian vice having a healthy veg diet. You'll also lose a few pounds as the undigested meat sitting in your intestines slowly works its way out.

We can get more than enough protein from plant sources to power your workouts and strength training efforts. People are often shocked by how much protein you can get from broccoli, beans, nuts, and soy products - to name a few. For example, a single glass of light soy milk contains 6 grams of protein, 10% of what an active 190 lb man needs every day. Cup of dairy or soy yogurt? 8 grams.

The book I've found very handy is:

Vegetarian Sports Nutrition by Enette Larson-Meyer - a registered dietician with years of sports nutrition experience.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,131,154 times
Hemp seeds have a ton of protein. There are a plethora of items you can make with them. You can also buy Hemp powder to use in smoothies. Pea protein powder is another vegan option used by bodybuilders.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,688 times
There is protein in everything...
If you are really committed to both turning vegetarian as well as building muscles, why not find a good vegetarian dietician and make an appointment? Otherwise, read, read, read! That includes cookbooks. And go slowly. First have only one meat-free day. Then add in another when you are comfortable with the first one.

Also, are you looking to go vegan or vegetarian? It is a very important distiction. Dairy and eggs add a lot of protein into the diet. For example, my sons have had six doctors (we move a lot), and not one of them has ever been concerned about the vegetarian diet and their growth rate. However, I hear again and again that if you are going to start your children on a vegan diet, you need to research the ditkins out of it, because it can be very difficult to make sure they get everything they need fat and protein-wise. (I have even had a doctor or two double check that we weren't vegan, with a concerned look on their face, which automatically relaxed once I reassured them we weren't).

On the otherhand, I have heard that many long distance runners and bikers have vegan diets and feel like they perform at a higher level as so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food