Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM

1,169 posts, read 754,648 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are considering job offers to relocate. My work location would be in Ventura, and hers would be Silver Triangle/Studio City. Our children are in elementary school and my 2nd grader needs a good GATE (gifted/talented) program. Our income is such that we can afford a home up to the 700k range but not private schools. Interested in a typical family-friendly living situation.

Would I be correct in guessing that the commute westbound to Ventura would probably be easier than one eastbound into the SFV, and thus probably living eastward of the halfway point (Thousand Oaks) might make more sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 10:32 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,068,447 times
The traffic is indeed better driving westbound/north. However, understand that there is a mountain range to cross between the Conejo Valley and the San Fernando Valley, so there's that. There are great schools in Calabasas, but you can't buy a house there for $700k--maybe a condo, if that. Agoura Hills on the west side of the mountain would be the best second choice, but as of today there are only 6 SFH's under $700k, so hope you get lucky.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:15 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,794,315 times
Investigate Simi Valley, Moorpark, or Thousand Oaks. All "family friendly", relatively safe, and good schools.

(Lived in all three communities and liked them all equally. Would probably pick TO if forced to only select one.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-14-2019, 05:06 AM

3,163 posts, read 2,715,334 times
Any of the aformentioned communities, but just wait until the next recession to buy. Eat rent until then. It sucks, but you'll only set yourself back 30-50K vs 150-200K. RE prices are currently in bubble territory. They'll shed a few dozen % in the next 5 years and you can save yourself a bundle by buying the bottom. We did this in the 2005-2012 time frame and made out very well.

If you can afford 700k, go looking at 800-850K places now to get an idea of what you want to buy when the recession hits. Assuming you don't lose your jobs.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:07 PM

1,169 posts, read 754,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Any of the aformentioned communities, but just wait until the next recession to buy. Eat rent until then. It sucks, but you'll only set yourself back 30-50K vs 150-200K. RE prices are currently in bubble territory. They'll shed a few dozen % in the next 5 years and you can save yourself a bundle by buying the bottom. We did this in the 2005-2012 time frame and made out very well.

If you can afford 700k, go looking at 800-850K places now to get an idea of what you want to buy when the recession hits. Assuming you don't lose your jobs.
Fortunately our jobs are recession proof.

We’re looking at renting too. Thanks everyone, will check out schools in those other communities too.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:33 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,878,561 times
A lot of commute time can be mitigated if you just have good access to the freeway. Those are not going to be fun commutes anyway. If I only had a budget for 700 tho, I'd go with a house in the Wildwood elementary boundary. Or perhaps get the house listed for 729k at 3054 E Sierra Dr 91362. Its not an ideal house and backs to a busy road. But you are guaranteed a great school for your kid and quick access to the freeway. Not sure about GATE because that starts in 3rd grade. That's as good as it gets on your budget. I don't see house prices dropping in these areas without more supply on the market.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:12 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,794,315 times
I loved the Wildwood area. Great hiking in the hills. Close to CLU for plays, performances, and our vanpool lot for the commute back in. Decent bike lanes. And a generally clean and well kept-up neighborhoods.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County