Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,090 times

Advertisements

I am a Gay male, 50 yrs. old. I will be relocating from the East coast. How accepting of Gays is Ventura county? I understand I am refering to a very large and diverse area. Towns and neighborhoods will vary. In general, how tolerant of Gays is the county? Any places more tolerant, any to avoid?

There must be websites out on there on the 'net with this info, although I cannot find them. Any "Family" out there care to comment? It would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 03:21 PM

90 posts, read 179,511 times
I don't live in VC but have been up and through there a few times.

Here's a Ventura County Gay Pride website : Ventura Gay Pride

Perhaps that'll provide you with a starting point or some ideas of where to go/who to contact for more information?

Here's another link: Ventura County Rainbow Alliance Home

Hope this helps

Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
I doubt you will have any issues. What you will find is people really don't care what your sexual orientation is here. Just be a good neighbor and all should be ok. I work with a lot of gay people and many of them are born and raised in VC and they have never told me about any issues that they have had. I just really don't think anyone will even care..just be you!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Thank you both for the responses! Glad to see them!

LadyKLO, your response is esp. encouraging!

I did a fast search on a popular search engine that begins with a "G" (I don't know if I can name search engine names here on board) for Gay Ventura County. I can't remember the name of the site that I found. It lamented the fact that there weren't more Gay bars. So what, I am not much of a bar person. It is attitudes from employers, co-workers, teachers and neighbors that matter to me most. Other sites seemed more positive. I guess it is the type of thing where I need to judge it for myself as best as I can when I am there. I don't know how far West Hollywood would be from VC, but if it is a long drive in traffic, forget it.

I also look for Gay clubs or groups which might include groups devoted to outdoor activities or sports such as hiking,teams, social groups, that type of thing. I haven't done that for VC, or another area that I am interested in locating.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM

You could be in WEHO in about 45 mins to an hour depending on traffic. There was a gay bar in ventura but I don't know if it is still there or not! Please feel free to ask any questions and we'll try our best to find the answers for you.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM

Thank you so much!!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:33 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,269 times
Welcome to the area!

Generally speaking, Oxnard and Ventura will be more friendly than the other areas. And within Ventura, midtown and downtown will be more accepting than the east side. This is backed up by the precinct analysis of Prop 8 support, which was strong in Simi, Camarillo, TO and east Ventura. In general, those are the places to avoid as they were among those who recently voted down gay marriage (only to have that initiative overturned by the courts ).

I don't know if there are others, but here is a gay bar in downtown Ventura:
Paddy's Bar & Lounge

Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
My brother is gay and I have become friends with many of his friends. Been to barbq's at his home in Moorpark with people of all orientations and have had a blast.

Even in our small towns it doesn't seem to be a problem around hear. For many years over in Fillmore one of the employees at the local hardware store was not only gay but a cross dresser. He would come to work in a dress. I just don't think that being gay in Ventura County will get anyone to blink twice or turn their head to get a second glance. OpenSky mentioned Paddy's and my brother is there most weekends.

The deal is around here and in much of the coastal Part of the state we are into what you can do for me as opposed to what you do in your personal life. Your personal life is yours and probabaly the underlying theme is to let people do what they want. When I go into a business I only want to know that I get what I want done. I don't really care who is helping me.

Sure their are those that hate. Currently a kid is being tried for murder. He shot another boy in the head that was gay. I went to the same jr High years ago that these two kids attended. Here is the deal. What that shows is that being gay isn't an unusual thing around here. It also shows that you have ignorant people everywhere.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My brother is gay and I have become friends with many of his friends. Been to barbq's at his home in Moorpark with people of all orientations and have had a blast.

Even in our small towns it doesn't seem to be a problem around hear. For many years over in Fillmore one of the employees at the local hardware store was not only gay but a cross dresser. He would come to work in a dress. I just don't think that being gay in Ventura County will get anyone to blink twice or turn their head to get a second glance. OpenSky mentioned Paddy's and my brother is there most weekends.

The deal is around here and in much of the coastal Part of the state we are into what you can do for me as opposed to what you do in your personal life. Your personal life is yours and probabaly the underlying theme is to let people do what they want. When I go into a business I only want to know that I get what I want done. I don't really care who is helping me.

Sure their are those that hate. Currently a kid is being tried for murder. He shot another boy in the head that was gay. I went to the same jr High years ago that these two kids attended. Here is the deal. What that shows is that being gay isn't an unusual thing around here. It also shows that you have ignorant people everywhere.
My sentiments exactly....I personally could care less what folks are doing in their personal and private lives. I think the OP will be just fine in this area. I cannot say he might not face any issues but I suspect they will be minimal at best.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,269 times
The fact is, many cities in Ventura County supported Prop 8.

That's litmus test #1 for closed-door hostilities toward gays.

Downtown and Midtown Ventura, along with Oxnard, were the few pockets of anti-Prop 8. I'm sure the OP will be "fine" but he should be aware of that. I'd want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County