Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,103,598 times

Advertisements

I guess its pretty obvious from walking around but:

Bulk and hunger add up to hefty issues in Ventura County » Ventura County Star

Unfortunately the article focuses on the "its more expensive to eat healthy" gibberish....instead of the real reasons people are overweight.

And this reminds me, doesn't anybody else think its a bit odd for an overweight "homeless" person to be holding up a sign that says "hungry"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 11:27 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,259,819 times
Thanks for posting the article. I am personally trying to beat the odds! As of today, I have lost 120 pounds. I still have 40 more to go but I am still a work in progress. The key is to cook and learn to say no to junk foods that will cause your body to expand. Also, I don't buy into the cheaper to eat junk food stigma...it sure is "cheaper" when you find yourself in the hospital with diabetes and other crap like that.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
...it sure is "cheaper" when you find yourself in the hospital with diabetes and other crap like that.
I'm not even thinking of that, just the cost of food. I've heard it claimed that its expensive to eat healthy numerous times, in documentaries, etc but when I do the math I just don't see it. In fact, it seems like its more to eat junk.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,973,193 times
You should see what I can do with a 10qt pot, tap water, a turkey carcass (or some chicken carcasses), some fresh veg, herbs and spices, and some rice or barley.

Cost per bowl of the result is minuscule.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Obesity rates are higher in poorer and minority neighborhoods. (This is everywhere in the US, not just Ventura County.) Most parts of Oxnard will have higher obesity rates than most parts of TO.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,369,869 times
I think I read somewhere that the USA is the only place where the poor people are fatter than the rich people. LOL

Saying that, it does seem that poorer people seem to make food choices that are poor in nature. High fat, high in sugar content while at the same time costing more than if they had purchased raw food. I can buy a 10lb bag of potatoes at Food4Less for less money than it cost to purchase a family size bag of potato chips. That bag of potato chips would be gone in a day at my home with all of our kids while the bag of potatoes will last into the next week.

We also eat a lot of beans and rice. The cost to buy that is low. What you can do with it is endless. I can take rice, cook it up, and put vegetables and some chicken on top and that is a meal. The combinations are almost endless on what you can use that base of food for.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I think I read somewhere that the USA is the only place where the poor people are fatter than the rich people. LOL

Saying that, it does seem that poorer people seem to make food choices that are poor in nature. High fat, high in sugar content while at the same time costing more than if they had purchased raw food. I can buy a 10lb bag of potatoes at Food4Less for less money than it cost to purchase a family size bag of potato chips. That bag of potato chips would be gone in a day at my home with all of our kids while the bag of potatoes will last into the next week.

We also eat a lot of beans and rice. The cost to buy that is low. What you can do with it is endless. I can take rice, cook it up, and put vegetables and some chicken on top and that is a meal. The combinations are almost endless on what you can use that base of food for.
Could also be genetic. As crude as it sounds, there's a lot of truth to "A man will marry the best looking woman he can afford" and "Tight butts get rich husbands". So, if you're a good looking (not fat) woman, you tend to marry a wealthy man and have good looking, not fat kids. This perpetuates.

You can always spot a rich guy:

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Could also be genetic. As crude as it sounds, there's a lot of truth to "A man will marry the best looking woman he can afford" and "Tight butts get rich husbands". So, if you're a good looking (not fat) woman, you tend to marry a wealthy man and have good looking, not fat kids.
Genetic problems resulting in obesity aren't that common, before the modern food industry obesity wasn't common. Doubt it has much to do with genetics, rather that wealthier people tend to be more knowledgeable about food and feed their kids differently.

I'm often surprised when talking about food with people, even the basic science often isn't known. For example, I find it really common for people to think that eating fat is what makes you fat....as if the fat from the food goes directly to your stomach, butt, etc.

Anyhow, I'm sure the high rates of obesity in Ventura County is related to the high Hispanic population in Oxnard, etc....but still surprising that its more than half.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I find it really common for people to think that eating fat is what makes you fat....as if the fat from the food goes directly to your stomach, butt, etc.
There's a certain amount to truth to that though as fat has more than twice as many calories per gram than either carbs or protein do, 9 calories per gram to 4 calories per gram.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:09 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,259,819 times
Great points everyone...being that I am an advocate for health these days, people really do not believe that eating healthier is cheaper. I look at it like this..look how many fields of fresh produce we have in this county...if you just go to a farmer's market, side of the road stand, discount supermarket or whatever, you can get some really great deals.

Look at eating out at McDonald's...a family of 4 could spend $25 and up on 4 Value Meals. That same $25 could be used to purchase some lettuce for a salad and some turkey and beans for LadyKLO's killer turkey chili..it's not hard but people claim they don't want to cook!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County